The Datsuns Review

9.4
 8.8
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Datsuns Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2004

Sound: The Datsuns have found a true rock n roll sound. It is like a jump back to the past. The guitars are fast and high pitched, with some awesome rock n roll riffs, like MF from Hell, Freeze Sucker. The solos by Christian Datsun are absolutely incredible and so intense. The only let down in the sound is that the bass is fairly unnoticable but that can be forgiven as Dolf makes up for it with his vocals. The sound is innovative, and while it has been influenced by 20th century rock n roll, it is like nothing I have ever heard before. // 10

Lyrics: Dolf de Datsun sings about love and rock n roll. He has a true rock n roll voice which fits in perfectly with the style of guitar. He screams his heart out during the choruses and it adds to the excitement of the band. The lyrics are nothing special but there are some lines that stick in your head (Like a mother f***er from hell) and they are presented in such a way that what is being said really doesn't matter. // 10

Overall Impression: The debut album from the boys from New Zealand is absolutely incredible. It is the standout rock n roll album of recent times and is played with such pace and passion. They are recognised as one of the most exciting live acts in the world, and their album is just as good. The standout songs on the album are MF From Hell, with its catchy chorus and fast guitars, Sitting Pretty, Freeze Sucker and In Love. The style of music is much more exciting than other "blast from the past" bands out there such as The White Stripes (with whom they have toured with) and The Darkness. My only complaint about this album is that it is only 10 songs and 39 minutes, I would love to see them come out with a 60 minute+ album. Well worth my money and I eagerly anticipate their second album due sometime mid 2004. // 10

The Datsuns Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Sound: The Datsuns make very fast paced, exciting music based on a riff played over and over again. I'm sure this would be superb live but can sound a bit repetitive and predictable on cd. The solos are brilliant though and the music is hard to sit still to. The datsuns sound a bit like a classic rock band but without the unforgettable songs and classic albums. The vocals are passionately sang (or screamed) and remind me of Joey Ramone at times. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes hard to hear coming from that weird new zealand accent. A lot of the lyrics sound like they wrote a riff and then decided to write lyrics over it to fit but never thought them through.Having said this though, the lyrics do sound great over the fast drumming and dominating guitar play. Some good lines really stand out like in. // 6

Overall Impression: As music today is dominated by men in baggy clothes holding their dicks and talking into a microphone (rap, hiphop) and untalented wannabes getting into the chart once after winning a show like pop idol, Datsuns could be seen as a breath of fresh air in the music world. Finally, a proper rock band. They might not be legends but it is well worth buying their album. 'Sittin Pretty','In Love','Harmonic Generator' and 'MF From Hell' stand out as the best tracks and the others sound similar but too similar. If it was stolen I would not buy it again but only because I've heard it so much. I would buy their other album. // 8

The Datsuns Reviewed by: vines_fanatic, on january 15, 2007

Sound: This band have the best guitar riffs I've heard in a long time. There's no other band around right now who can write music like them, their sound is just amazing. When I heard Sitting Pretty followed by MF from Hell I just thought that they couldn't beat it but they did. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be quite hard to make out sometimes but most of the lyrics that I could understand I thought were genius. Harmonic Generator and Freeze Sucka just wouldn't be the same without the anthemic lyrics. There is some songs though that could have had better lyrics but most of them ae great. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't think the rest of the albums are as good as this one, it's just amazing. There's not one bad song on this although there is a couple you would skip but only because you can't wait to hear the better songs. MF from Hell, Harmonic Generator and Freeze Sucka are probably the stand out tracks and they sound awesome live too. If you like real rock music then you probably won't be dissapointed with this album // 9

More Datsuns reviews rating latest review
+ Headstunts 6.1 01/30/2012