Alone Together Review

dave mason: Alone Together
Release Date: 1970
Label: MCA
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Soft Rock, Pop/Rock
Alone Together contains an excellent batch of melodically pleasing songs, built on a fat bed of strumming acoustic guitars with tasteful electric guitar accents and leads.
 9.7
 8.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Alone Together Reviewed by: Savage Animal, on august 09, 2007

Sound: This album has a timeless quality to it, while at the same time, hearing it will remind you of why the '70s were so great. The band plays tightly, and you'll hear a variety of instruments used throughout the songs, all played impressively well. I honestly have never heard another album that has the exact same style as this, and I have heard a lot of music from that era. Dave Mason was at his prime when he recorded this after leaving Traffic and it shows. Also, Eric Clapton adds an unforgettable solo to the end of the last track that is something to be heard. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Mason's lyrics aren't always the best, but on this album he shines. Every lyric fits perfectly with the song it's in and more often than not you're likely to find some of them getting stuck in your head. Pretty much all of them are about relationships, but it's not overdone and it's in a way that most people can relate to. Also, I have to mention that Mason has a great voice that doesn't try to upstage the music behind it and instead blends well with it. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely in my top 10. If it was stolen I'd be super pissed because this album is kind of hard to find on cd. If you like Traffic, Blind Faith, or music of that time, chances are you'll love this album. My favorite tracks are "Can't Stop Worrying, Can't Stop Loving", "Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave", and "World In Changes", but I'd have to say every single track stands out on it's own, which is probably one of the reasons I like this album. Each song has it's own little personality and quirks, which is great for replay value. I think I listened to this album maybe 10 times the day I got it. I simply couldn't take my ears off it! I strongly recommend this to any clasic rock enthusiast. // 10

Comments