Everyday Review

dave matthews band: Everyday
Release Date: Feb 27, 2001
Label: RCA
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock, Jam Bands
Everyday feels like forced maturation, a record that suppresses the group's best attributes in favor of a moderate, self-consciously classy stab at adult pop.
 8.6
 9.7
 7.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Everyday Reviewed by: patterson_22, on september 09, 2006

Sound: Dave picks up the electric guitar to give a very dreamy effect. It's different that past albums that the band's done in that it's a little more mainstream and produced than Under the Table, Crash, or the award winning Before These Crowded Streets. DMB Fans need not worry, the band has not sold out, like Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 did. Yet, still the conventional fan might not enbrace this album as much as they did with Crouded Streets. The band has only taken a different route, working with a new producer, Glen Ballard, instead of Steve Lillywhite. Ballard's best known for his work with Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, and Aerosmith. He was able to successfully make the band more well-rounded and radio-friendly than in the past. In my opinion, it more of the same but done electricly, rather than acousticly. Just about everysong on the CD is a hit. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are as good as ever. I wouldn't quite say the go as deep as say they did on songs like Dreaming Tree, Stone, Cry Freedom or others of the past. But, Dave's still clever, witty, and intriguing at the mic. You'll find yourself singing along with the tracks much faster than before. Dave's voice is the same. He continues to use little breaks and add falsetto to the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Suprised? Yes, but a great album. I love that it's got more "pop". Some fans might hate how produced it is. It doesn't beat the band's last album, Before These Crowded Streets, musically. It isn't as clever as Under the Table and Dreaming. It is worth buy, and I would buy it again if something happened to my copy. It's sure to attract the Crash Into Me fan more than the Ants Marching fan. It's a shame the band couldn't make When the World Ends the album single due to 9/11, because I'm not sure the title song Everyday did the album justice. It's the last track, if that's any indication. Buy it, love it, sing with it. // 10

More Dave Matthews Band reviews rating latest review