Stand Up Review

dave matthews band: Stand Up
Released: May 10, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock, Jam Bands
The album is very mellow and fun to listen to. Some of the songs are a bit "poppy," but that's necessarily a bad thing.
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Stand Up Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2005

Sound: I have been a DMB fan for a while now and this is a totally different cd than I'm used to hearing from them. For example, during the intro of Stand Up, Carter Beauford tries out the electric drum set while Dave starts the song playing a riff on his acoustic and during the verse switching to single notes on his electric. Although DMB is not a studio band I see this being very hard for them to pull off in a concert, even with all the pedals accessible today. Songs that deserve recognition: Old Dirt Hill (great opening guitar riff), American Baby Intro (classic DMB jam intro), American Baby, Out Of My Hands (a more chill song, the piano is whipped out with a soft snare in the backround), and Hello Again (reminds me of Ants Marching). // 8

Lyrics: Dave's smooth voice really makes an impression on this CD. Although the songs are not all up-tempo, the music fits perfectly with the mood of the lyrics. But you can tell Dave's voice is aging, there weren't many times if any at all when I heard Dave hit a higher pitch note. The lyrics, on the other hand, are very sub-par to Dave's abilities. You guys may think I'm an idiot but he repeats himself a lot. For example, in the American Baby Intro all he says is "She said," compared to Pantala Naga Pampa where he switches it up. Yet overall, it's good stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally I think this album is great. But you are hearing this from someone who saw Metallica, Godsmack, David Bowie, Polyphonic Spree (don't ask), Nappy Roots, and DMB concerts this year. So to say the least, my variety of music is widespread. If you go out and buy this cd you won't be dissapointed. It could be the second greatest studio album by Dave Matthews right after Crash. But do yourself a favor and go to the nearest Best Buy, or wherever is nearest to your shack, and buy Stand Up. // 10

Stand Up Reviewed by: drpfender1206, on may 30, 2005

Sound: The DMBs new album, Stand Up, will make you want to do just that. From start to finish the sound on this CD is never lacking. The way the band incorporates so many instruments into one song gives each track its own unique organic sound. For instance, in the song "Stand Up" they mix the saxophone with the catchy electric guitar riff that makes it feel uplifting and staisfying to listen to. Also, with their unique sound the DMB bring back their classy jazz tone and motown feel. For example, in "Louisiana Bayou" (my personal favorite) the sound really takes you back to the jazz tone with the guitar riff played throughout the song and the sound of Dave's voice as he makes his voice match the song perfectly. The sound is amazing on this cd and it'll make anyone want to dance. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, like the sound, are very satisfying on the cd. However, the lyrics lack originality. In previous albums, like Crash, the lyrics make you think and want you to learn more about what they mean, but you don't always want to do that on this album. Don't get me wrong, the lyrics are good, but we've all heard them before. For instance, in the song "Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd", the lyrics are boring because Dave makes an attempt at a storytelling song, but fails because the lyrics are repetitive and sound bad the first time and worse the second and thrid time. However, Dave's voice makes up for the few other bad lyrics on the cd. His voice sounds just as good as ever and you'll love how he matches his voice with each song. // 8

Overall Impression: The band is just as talented as ever and they prove it in their new cd. Every aspect of each song is amazing. The instrumental talent will blow you away with the variety of music these guys can make and the way they blend each others talent into one amazing song is the best part. You should buy this cd as soon as you can. // 10

More Dave Matthews Band reviews rating latest review