Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables Review

dead kennedys: Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Released: 1980
Genre: Rock
Styles: American Underground, Hardcore Punk, American Punk, Anarchist Punk
A hyper-speed blast of ultra-polemical, left-wing hardcore punk, and bitingly funny sarcasm, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables stands as the Dead Kennedys' signature statement.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables Reviewed by: GuitaPlaya, on february 27, 2006

Sound: This is the Dead Kennedys second best album (Plastic Surgery Disasters was a slightly better). The CD is filled with fast, evil sounding guitar riffs. East Bay Ray uses delay very often and a lot of the guitar riffs are chromatic. Some of the songs sound almost surf like, like "Holiday In Cambodia" which is probably my favorite song of all time. // 9

Lyrics: Jello rights great lyrics. He often has heavy critisism for the right wing with songs like "Kill The Poor" and "California Uber Alles." In the latter, he sings from the perspective of Govenor Jerry Brown wanting to become president and start wars. In "Holiday In Cambodia" I think he even insults democrats. "You're a star-belly you suck like a leech you want everyone to act like you." The lyrics range from pure genious to hillarious. Songs like "I Kill Children" and "Funland At The Beach" are pretty comical. Also, Jello can talk faster than anyone I've ever heard (listen to "Drug Me"). // 10

Overall Impression: The Dead Kennedys are one of punks greatest bands by far. My favorite song ever (like I mentioned before) is "Holiday In Cambodia." The only thing that isn't so great is that some of the songs like "I'll In The Head" just aren't very good. But for the most part, this album kicks rocks. // 10

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables Reviewed by: refusedparty, on march 21, 2005

Sound: 'Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables' is the classic debut album from legendary hardcore punks the Dead Kennedys. Before I start, any fans of Green Day and Blink 182 may as well stop reading. This is real punk, in your face, anti-establishment and packing enough power to topple buildings. Don't expect this music being played on Radio One any time soon. The sound quality isn't top notch, but hardcore punk isn't meant to sound studio polished. It is meant to sound raw like it was recorded on one take and this album sounds like that. If it was all electronic and polished, it wouldn't have the same effect. // 10

Lyrics: Jello Biafra, the Kennedys' vocalist and chief lyricist, pens some exception lyrics for this album. From left wing freedom (California Uber Alles) to ultra right wing (Kill The Poor), the lyrics never falter below five out of five. In all honesty, the lyrics are as good as, if not better than, the Clash's London Calling album, which has some of the best punk lyrics of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, if you're a fan of bands like Minor Threat, Black Flag and the Sex Pistols, you need to buy this album. All the songs are hardcore classics, the most impressive being 'Kill The Poor', 'Chemical Warfare' and 'Too Drunk To F--k' but the ultimate stand out song is 'Holiday In Cambodia', which ranks up there with the likes of 'Anarchy In The UK' and 'White Riot'. The album also has a decent bonus disc, which is a nice extra. Anyway, stop reading this article, go out to the shops and buy this album. Now. // 10

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables Reviewed by: joshissocool138, on december 05, 2005

Sound: Well this album is what inspired me to start guitar, so I really like the sound of basically everything on this album. Ray and Klaus's guitar and bass riffs are pretty much all taken from classic blues riffs but kinda twisted in a more hardcore sound and jello is probably the best vocalist there is so he sounds really good also, and pretty much all the drum beats are simple but they sound great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on fresh fruit are to some extent controversal with titles like "Kill The Poor" and "Forward To Death" but if you watch the dvd "Fresh Fruit For Rotten Eyeballs" you'll learn what the songs actually ment for example in kill the poor they're not really saying go out and kill poor people the song was meant to be sarcastic saying that some politicians would want you to go kill the poor but still Jello's lyrics are always good. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best punk/harcore album there is no other albums even compare in my opinion, well maybe the "X-ray Spex" album "Germfree Adolecents" but still best album ever recorded. // 10

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables Reviewed by: adolescents7, on november 20, 2006

Sound: This band is one of the greatest political punk bands of all time. Jello Biafra is a great writer. The sound is inspired from past wars and events and also some newer things (from the time period) like getting drafted. Personaly, the Dead Kennedys sound is one of my favorites for punk bands. They are very talented musicians. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics a good. You can really hear the points of the album through the lyrics. The lyrics match the music perfectly. They flow together smoothly and nicely. Jello Biafra shows his talents on this album. they even do a cover song on this album covering Viva Las Vegas. Jello Biafra adds his punk sound to the classic song and makes it better than the original (I think so). // 9

Overall Impression: This is a really good album if you want to start getting into punk. This is the first punk album I heard and it inspired me to start listening to all kinds of punk. it's definitly worth looking at. I think the best songs are probably Holiday In Cambodia, Chemical Warfare, and California Uber Alles. If it were lost/stolen. I'd definitly buy it again. Maybe even two more just in case I lose one. // 8

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables Reviewed by: thewho65, on october 24, 2007

Sound: This was the DK's first album, released in 79-80. The album is regarded to be not their best, due to tight production and lack of promotion. But I don't think the DK's care. Despite criticism, FFFRV has become a classic punk album and gave birth to what would later be hardcore. The back cover features the humorous cocktail band photo (they were later sued by one of the members of that band who recognized the photo). The whole album comes and goes in the blink of an eye and leaves you purely amazed. // 10

Lyrics: Jello's lyrics are fiercely political, but also cynically funny. The song titles often stand out, with things like "I Kill Children" (which starts "God told me to skin you alive" lol) and "Funland at the Beach". Although it's more of a joke, I actually like their cover of "Viva Las Vegas", more than their cover of "Rawhide" (don't like it). Jello pulls off Elvis in a comical fashion. Though, I'm used to different lyrics in "California" and "Holiday". They always changed them live (or, in "California"s case, completely revamped them). // 9

Overall Impression: The songs that really stand out on the album are "Kill the Poor", "California Uber Alles", and of course, "Holiday in Cambodia". This album still has Ted on drums, and even 6025 on guitar for "Ill in the Head". The credits also extend to a myriad of people on backing vocals, keyboards, and even a "bar scene". My only beef with this album is the sound quality. "Holiday in Cambodia" lacks the clarity and double-tracks of the single version. I also thought "Too Drunk to F**k" and "Bleed for Me" would be on this (as additional tracks, but I confused this with the Give Me Convince album). // 9

More Dead Kennedys reviews rating latest review