New Medicines Review

artist: dead poetic date: 03/16/2005 category: compact discs
dead poetic: New Medicines
Released: Apr 6, 2004
Genre: Rock
Pretty good overall, but if their learning curve continues at the present slope their next one will be substantially better.
 9.4
 9.7
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
New Medicines Reviewed by: strider_hein, on november 12, 2004

Sound: First and foremost, go see the stay Medicated tour! Now that I have that out of my system I will get to talking about this album, New Medicines. Now being a sophmore release and all and you are probably thinking, how the keck could a band like Dead Poetic follow their first release, Four Wall Blackmail? Well the secret is to writing with a different sound that doesnt scare off the fans they made with Four Wall Blackmail. They did an excellent job. Full of catchy vocals, guitar (that as long as you arent some over-obessed solo maniac you wont mind) is pretty good. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are excellent. Almost all of the songs are on two levels depending on how you hear them. And I love how they are expanded from depression and apologies like on the first album. Lyrically my favorite song would have to be Glass In The Trees. This song was about a friend of the bands who was in a tragic car accident so devastating the windshield ended up in a tree, well, parts of it. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to Four Wall Blackmail this album can't be compared. They are just two completly different albums. It's just that some of the songs on New Medicines (Vanus Empty, Taste The Red Hands, Modern Morbid Prophecies) just can't be put up against songs off Four Wall Blackmail (Eg August Winterman, Four Wall Blackmail, Tell Myself Goodbye) they are two completely diffent types of music. I love the vocals and the intros to a lot of the songs. The choruses are the highlight but the verses are good too. If someone took it, they woud regret they took it and I'd kill them and get back my cd or just get a new copy. // 10

New Medicines Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2005

Sound: Dead Poetic pull off the classic combination of screaming vocals and heavy guitar riffs. Since Four Wall Blackmail, they have grown so much musically. They say they don't want to be labelled anything more than a hard-rock band, but an awesome hard rock band they are! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful and just hit you with cold reality. "But you could've lived forever, it took smiles to keep you alive," - The Dream Club Murders. Their lyrics have so much meaning, and when entwined with Brandon's voice and the rest of the band, the feeling and what they're trying to tell you just hits you so easily. // 10

Overall Impression: New Medicines isn't a commericalized album that focuses just on selling out, yet they would appeal to the commercial audience. Their passion for their music and Christ is so strong. Personally I think the songs that stand out from New Medicines are The Dream Club Murders and Glass In The Trees because they have such strong meaning and the way they bring the melody, guitar riffs and screaming together is outstanding. They have gotten so far since Four Wall Blackmail but they should start experimenting with a softer sound, since Brandon Rike (lead vocalist) is developing a voice that can scream really well, but can do so much more in a melodical style. To sum it up, their album is just total, rock-out madness (in other words, it's awesome). // 10

More Dead Poetic reviews rating latest review