They Call It The Easy Life Review

Genre: Rock
Label: Wolf At Your Door Records
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
They Call It The Easy Life Reviewed by: Shikari Hybryd, on december 26, 2008

Sound: Deaf Havana are a quintet screamo band from King's Lynn who have only recently received a lot of positive press from magazines such as "Rock Sound", "Kerrang!" and "Metal Hammer" for their debut EP titled "They Call It The Easy Life". They also even have their own fans page on myspace where people can listen to some of their much older material. Their style is unique; combining elements of screamo, pop-punk, metal and southern rock with some excellent guitar work and melodic vocal hooks. This EP, released under "A Wolf At Your Door Records", is very versatile and shows off each band member's skills. Some could say that the vocals are inspired by the likes of bands such as "Alexisonfire", "Gallows", or "Underoath" but for me, the vocals in this EP are very distinct. With some very emotional and powerful screaming it is evident that lead vocalist, Ryan, is on top form consistently throughout the CD, and guitarist/vocalist James is also equally talented in both his vocals and guitar skills. Tom's drumming is also something worthy of a mention... every rhythm in each song is unique and definately not boring. Whilst the EP is quite fast paced, there are some very slow, laid-back drums in some parts such as the intro to "The Tune Of ID". Although it may seem a bit hidden at times, upon listening to the EP I had spotted a few very cool bass lines in some songs on the EP as well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in each song are obviously well thought-out. In some songs the band seem to have some jokey lyrics such as in "Keepin' It Sunny Side Up" where James sings "My name's Ricky Bobby and I like your boobs". However, they do explore more serious lyrics in songs such as my personal favourite; "Oh Howard, You Crack Me Up" where James sings the chorus: "I never quite understood my angel's guidance, I never quite understood my lover's lusting". What I really like about this EP lyrically is that negative or aggressive sounding lyrics are screamed along with some heavily distorted guitars but when the tone changes and there are some nicer, more positive lyrics James' melodic vocals come straight into play along with his melodic guitar-picking. The chemistry between the vocals and the music is just out-of-this-world, plus James has one of the best voices I have ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: As the band's first official release, I would say that they couldn't have nailed it any better. The CD is a classic. With soaring melodic choruses, catchy guitar hooks, heavy breakdowns, powerful screaming and epic drumming, this EP is nothing short of a masterpiece. This is the start of something big for Deaf Havana and definately shows the world that this band is going to be huge over the next few years. // 10

More Deaf Havana reviews rating latest review