Individual Thought Patterns Review

death: Individual Thought Patterns
Release Date: Jun 22, 1993
Label: Combat
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal
Individual Thought Patterns cemented Death's reputation as not only one of death metal's founders, but also one of its most creative, musically proficient, and listenable bands.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.8
 9.2
Individual Thought Patterns Reviewed by: 11thHour, on june 29, 2007

Sound: This was my first Death album and it has been a regular in my stereo since the day I bought it.I think the line up for this record really says it all for me; Chuck Schuldiner, Gene Hoglan, Steve DiGorgio and Andy LaRocque, it dosent get any better than that lads! This was Deaths fifth album, and it really expanded on the technicality and progressiveness of the previous releases, it introduced a real jazzy feel to the songs with odd tempos and off beat rhythms. The recording quality was extremely raw but maintained clarity. It also featured DiGorgios beautifull fretless bass playing using it almost like a third guitar, creating a real unique sound throughout. // 9

Lyrics: The album focused on life and Chucks personal experiences. The Philosopher, possibly Deaths most reknowned and well known song, was a lyrical slam against former guitarist Masdival. The album covers emotion, feeling and thought, something Chuck has aimed to do from the start, to try end the trend of Death Metal bands focusing on evil, death, gore and the underworld! I loved the way many of the songs were open to different perspectives and were metaphorical. Chuck used pure death metal growls filled with emotion, agression and intensity but still withheld the reason and intellect. To truly appreciate this album you must read the lyrics and contemplate the meanings of the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: I loved this album. It was a blessing from the metal gods. It was very creative and introduced something new for the Death back catologue, a new level of progression, technicality and experimentation. Chuck had a lot to prove after heavy criticism, and his vision and sheer genius clearly prevailed. This is a must for any metalhead. I cherish my copy of it. Long live metal and the spirit of the mastermind that was and always will be, Chuck Schuldiner. // 9

Individual Thought Patterns Reviewed by: luisenrique, on january 05, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is a little unclean but every bass and guitar note can be heard. DiGiorgio's fretless is a great thing to hear. Chuck's voice is incredible and fits perfectly with fast death metal. Truly greatness is showed in tracks like Trapped in a corner, Out of touch and the well known The Philosopher. What I like about these album is the technical side, odd tempos and very well pulled out solos, many of the harmonized and recorded flawless. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics reflect Chuck's life through past years, I mean having to deal with "blind" and narrow-minded people, or some like that. The lyrics and rythm flow nicely and he really knows when to use that long scream we all love. High-pitched vocals and impressive lyrics are a important thing on this record. // 9

Overall Impression: Definitely better than previous efforts but as technical as Human and Symbolic. This has to be the best Death record for truly deth metl fans. The most impressive tracks are The Philosopher, Trapped In A Corner, title track Individual Thought Patterns and Out Of Touch. Drums in this album are very sophisticated and not just a beat machine like Cannibal Corpse or modern death metal bands. What I hate about this album is that it's too damn short, but nevertheless brings in some of the finest metal songs ever written. // 10

Individual Thought Patterns Reviewed by: corrda00, on february 05, 2009

Sound: Death is probably one of the most important founders of death metal, hence their name. Individual thought patters is probably still to this day a founding album in the death metal scene that has inspired many. Their sound on this album is pretty good. The instruments establish that dark dim 5th, harmonic minor sort of feel as you'd except in death metal. Chucks playing on this album is very technical on this album, incorporating both homophonic and occasional polyphonic harmony Leads in songs like 'Trapped in a Corner' and 'Destiny'. His solos are fast but still have feeling and are melodic. Another notable part is the bass, played by Steve Digiorgio. He plays lots of leads almost and cuts through the mix making the music more complex while doing so. This can be easily seen in 'Nothing is Everything' or the outro solos to 'The Philosopher' This album does have it's downsides though. One problem with this album is the riffs don't tend to flow very well within the songs, separately they sound great but they just don't seem to always fit. Still Death manage to deliver well on this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album have many dark themes like, well just look at the titles. Pretty much every song is literally about whatever word it's title is. For example 'Jealousy' is about nothing more than Jealousy. This is not to say the lyrics are bad. The lyrics are pretty good and they have meaning behind them. Chucks singing style is a very harsh, semi high scream. It's like thash inspired screaming. it's nothing overly specail but it fits the music. // 7

Overall Impression: Death were really pioneers in this genre and they took metal in a new direction. Their influence can be heard in several death metal bands like Quo Vadis. The albums has lots of great riffs and great songs. Every song has something new and unique, whether it be a original bass leads in nothing is everything or some original harmonic minor solos like in destiny or the odd time signatures and tapping arpeggios of the philosopher, it all comes together on Though Patterns. The only problem with the album is flow, it doesnt't seem to have much of it, but it's alright. If I lost Thought Patterns I probably go out and get it again, along with some other death albums. // 9

Individual Thought Patterns Reviewed by: metallicafan616, on january 18, 2010

Sound: Unlike most albums written by bands that are rooted in death metal this albums production is a bit lacking in bass - due to Steve Digiorgio playing high bass lines and the guitar tone being very trebly. The music is definitely Deaths most progressive album, sounding somewhat like Queensryche wrapped in death metal. It has Andy Larocque (from King Diamond) performing excellent solos on a few songs in the album, most notably Jealousy and Trapped in a corner which are also my two favourite songs. Also, this seems to be the only album I have ever heard where the worst tracks are the first (Overactive Imagination) and the track that shares its name with the album. They aren't bad, just not as good as the rest of the album. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals are very clear unlike modern death metal bands. His lyrics are mostly about various types of people that Chuck dislikes - with songs like Jealousy, Out of Touch and The Philosopher being obvious examples. They fit perfectly with this moderately fast music, although they aren't the focus of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: It is probably my favourite Death album, my favourite songs being Jealousy, Trapped in a Corner and Mentally Blind - 2 of which feature absolutely superb solos from Andy. The biggest downfall is the lack of bass in the production - I can't turn it too loud without it starting to feel weird for my ears. I actually bought this album again after having one of my brothers friends steal the first copy I had - it's that good. // 9

More Death reviews rating latest review
+ Human 9.4 09/26/2011