Scream Bloody Gore Review

death: Scream Bloody Gore
Release Date: 1987
Label: Combat
Genres: Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
A necessary item for anyone interested in the genesis of death metal.
 9.2
 8.8
 9.6
Scream Bloody Gore Reviewed by: thegrungyhippie, on july 16, 2008

Sound: By listening to Death's later progressive work, you can easily tell that "Scream Bloody Gore" was Death's first album. The sound of Scream Bloody Gore is all that a straight-up metal head loves: Heavy, Dark, Fast, and Brutal. Chuck showcases his low end vocals as well as high pitched screams ala-Mercyful Fate. The infamous "Thrash Beat" as I call it, is used throughout the album. What can go wrong with the simple metal sound on "Scream Bloody Gore"? // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Scream Bloody Gore are what you might call typical. Later in his career, Schuldiner reflects on his lyrical change. Chuck says that he went from writing horror lyrics to lyrics about the things people have to deal with every day in life. Scream Bloody Gore's lyrics are focused on Chucks Horror style of lyric writing. On songs like "Regurgitated Guts" you get lyrics that are typical of many metal bands. The lyrics do fit well with the speed and grind of the album as well as Chuck's exceptional vocal style. // 8

Overall Impression: Scream Bloody Gore was a great start of an inventive and amazing death metal band. Scream Bloody Gore was an excellent foundation for the ever changing genre of Death Metal. The most impressive songs off Scream Bloody Gore, for me, are the title track and the two "hidden" tracks: "Beyond The Unholy Grave", and "Land Of No Return". These songs showcase great riffs and a great tempo variation in "Land Of No Return". If you are interested in how Death got its start, are into thrash-like metal, and/or want an exceptional metal album, buy Scream Bloody Gore. // 10

Scream Bloody Gore Reviewed by: rattlehead924, on july 17, 2008

Sound: In 1987, Death released Scream Bloody Gore, effectively creating the Death Metal genre. Chuck Schuldiner took on guitar, bass and vocal duties and Chris Reifert was on drums. The music is chaotic and fast. Schuldiner's guitar work, though not as technical as later albums, is still accurate and produces more than a few great solos. The bass isn't exactly stellar but it nonetheless does its job. Reifert's drumming is not as technical as later members are, but it still does a great job of matching Schuldiner in speed. The songs for the most part stand out, but a couple of the songs are just average. // 8

Lyrics: In later albums a variety of topics such as social issues and crack babies appear in Death's lyrics, but on Scream Bloody Gore, Chuck Schuldiner literally screams about bloody gore. The lyrics are dark, gory, and overall standard extreme metal fare Lines like "Vomit for a mind, maggots for a cock. With his axe the corpse will chop" (Zombie Ritual) and "With chainsaw in hand, Your death I demand, Slicing through your fat, My awaited gore attack"(Sacrificial) show show this. Schuldiner's voice is instantly recognizable, his pitched shriek stands out among all of the lower pitched vocals of most Death Metal vocalists. It's not always easy to understand what he is saying, but then again is it possible to understand any Death Metal vocalist 100%? // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a pretty good album and Death only improved on later efforts. In my opinion the best songs are "Zombie Ritual", "Torn To Pieces", and "Scream Bloody Gore". This album layed the template of Death Metal to come and belongs in the collection of any serious Extreme Metal fan. I'll let Chuck Schuldiner describe what I would do to the person who stoel this album from me "Massacred, hacked to death, my revenge, Slicing deep, into your flesh, the pain intense, Dreams of hate, misery, fill my mind, Puke in your face in disgust, it's time to die" (Infernal Death). // 8

Scream Bloody Gore Reviewed by: petergreen, on september 06, 2008

Sound: To me this amazing album, Death's Debut album from '87, is pure thrash metal, the only thing seperating it from the rest is the vocals. On the beginning of the first track, Infernal Death, Chuck rips some high notes, and goes higher later on the CD, I love his vocals. The production wasn't quite up to par with the later Death Releases, but this was made on a budget and this kind of music is very hard to produce and get a sound that satisfies everybody. Yet it is my favorite Death album, the overall speed, grind, and gore just do it for me. Also, for 1987 there's some pretty ornate riffs on here. Compared to other band's first albums it is amazingly tight throughout. // 9

Lyrics: Chuck Schuldiner's singing skills are amazing, but I think the lyrics are pretty bland. But it seems to me that the music always perfectly fits the theme of the lyrics. They're simple lyrics but they are timeless headbangers. They are probably the earliest gore-esque lyrics I can think of by an American band. // 8

Overall Impression: You can definantly pick out the influences on this album. Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Sacrifice, Possessed, Exodus, Megadeth. This album is still a monumental landmark in the history of death metal though. Bands like Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth probably wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for this album. // 10

More Death reviews rating latest review
+ Human 9.5 09/26/2011