Symbolic Review

death: Symbolic
Released: 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal
Granted, some of the riffs are begining to sound a little tired and there is no great leap forward in terms of their musical ideas, but the sheer visceral force of their sound should please their dedicated fans.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
Symbolic Reviewed by: laffyjam, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Symbolic is one of the best Metal albums ever. Death was one of the first death metal bands, and they are amazing. The sound they had at the time they made this album was very unique, very different. They added on to thrash metal and made it more technical and harsher creating death metal. This album is not typical american death metal like Cannibal Corpse. The riffs on this album are very melodic, and the drumming is very technical. The vocals are harsh but you can understand them. Chuck Schulinder (RIP) was a very good singer and guitarist. Overall, the sound on this album is great, and the production is very good also. // 10

Lyrics: Chuck's lyrics are very different from typical death metal. His lyrics have inner meaning to them, and they are great. His lyrics almost have a lesson in them. The meanings in the lyrics are about the struggles of life. The lyrics fit very well the the music, fit the mood perfectly. I love Chuck's voice because it is distorted yet you can understand him. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is amazing. If your looking into death metal, this is a good place to start. Or if you just like metal, you should definetly get this album. It is a masterpiece. // 10

Symbolic Reviewed by: metalhead4344, on october 08, 2004

Sound: This is one of Death's later releases, the songwriting is much more melodic than many american Death metal bands but thats fine with me because thats the only kind of Death Metal I like sorry Cannibal Corpse. Very different sounding (guitar tone wise) than their other albums, mainly because Chuck used Washburns on this instead of the usual BC Rich Stealth. My only complaint is that many of the songs aren't as memorable as I would like but very solid songwriting and solo on the part of Chuck. I would give it a 4. 5 but I'll round down to 4. // 8

Lyrics: Chuck always wrote lyrics differently than his counterparts in other bands, they almost have a spiritual sense about them (nothing preachy though thank god), not anything that would annoy you mostly double meaning stuff. Not that I'm against christian music (I'm as much one as the next guy), but hearing "I love god" over and over again only shows they can't write lyrics if you get my meaning. Not all violent, in fact mostly nonviolent lyrics, almost poetic although I have to admit if you listen to this stuff for the singing you have serious problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Very impressive release from an american Death metal band. Death managed to succeed in a country who's underground was ruled by faceless copycats of Death (and bands from the same area) early raw sound. Not as good as SOP but awesome album in itself. Symbolic and Empty Words have to be my fav songs on here. Yet again 4.5. // 8

Symbolic Reviewed by: krymson, on december 12, 2006

Sound: This Death biggest selling album and moves away even more from death metal into more progressive territory. The riffs rang from slow heavy chugging to blistering thrash with some very beatiful and melodic clean parts thrown in every now and then. The drumming is very technical, lot of very fast cymbal/double bass work that sounds amazing. The bass seems to follow the guitar but it does its job. The solo's range from melodic to high speed shreeding along with some harmonies. The solo's fit the songs very well and even manage to send a chill down your spine on a few stracks. The song all have something very deferent about them giving them all very distinct character. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't about gore and disembowlement anymore they are more philosophicle. Gore or not, the vocals sound amazing. Chuck Schuldiner manages to have pretty damn good death metal vocals while still articulating the lyrics very cleary and having distinct melody. The lyrics along with the vocals delivery fit the mood of the songs very well and add very much to the melody on this album that hasb't been seen in other Death Albums. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the first Death death metal album I; ve ever heard, and my god I freggin love it. It's a great place to get started with death metal because it's heavy as hell but still isn't too brutal. I really love the clean riffs that are thrown into the songs, the harmonies and the lead is general, no wanking, all soul. My only critisism is I think that maybe some clean vocals could have been added in, but then it wouldn't be death/progressive metal would it? My favourite songs on this album are "Crystal Mountain", "1,000 Eyes" and "Zero Tolerence" although there is not any song I dislike. This is a perfect way to introduce yourself into the world of death metal. // 9

Symbolic Reviewed by: D13SEL888, on october 06, 2008

Sound: The Symbolic remastered is the new and improved Death sound! In some sort this isn't really new and improved, but it is! Symbolic orginally came out in 1996 and was one of Deaths Greats! The remastered version of this album gives an whole new perspective on this album. Songs like Crystal Mountain and Misanthrope are some of the best and with the new technollegy it makes them sound ten times better! This was one of deaths most important albums and that's one of the reasons they remastered this album. SAymbolic was a Huge steping stone for Death and even though they had five albums before it this was the firecracker under there ass that went off! Symbolic is One of the Best Albums of Death and one of the best albums ever! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics ment a lot in this album, and I think that is one of the reasons that why this album is great! Symbolic really went of to be the best albums in deaths archive and in the death metal archive! and the Lyrics really did that for them. Even though the lyrics mean in the death metal style of music they still needed to be good and they were great! // 9

Overall Impression: Symbolic compares to other albums in a way that is insanely crazy! Symbolic although not being on of the better know albums in the world it was a great one! The most impressive song is probably Crystal Mountain. It is one of the most well rounded songs by Death By any metal Band by anybody! The song sets off the album and really gives it what it has to kick people in the face! I can't say I really hate anything about this album except for lack of songs there is only 9 songs and that is a bummer but there 9 great songs! The thing I love is that it has Crystal Mountain! One of, if not the best death song ever! Chuck Schuldiner was such a genus when it came to writing songs and that was what he was good at! I would definatlly Buy it again! Symbolic is the best! // 10

More Death reviews rating latest review
+ Human 9.5 09/26/2011