Plans Review

Released: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Atlantic
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Dream Pop, Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Pop, Twee Pop
Plans is both a destination and a transitional journey for the group, one that sees the fulfillment of years of toiling away to develop their ideas and sound.
 Lyrics: 8.8
Plans Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2005

Sound: First Off I would like to say Death Cab is one of the best bands out. This new CD goes to show that a good band wont lose its creativity. This album to me sounds better then Transatlanticism. // 10

Lyrics: This has amazing lyrics, hands down one of their better albums. The mood of the album changes with every song. // 10

Overall Impression: It beats a lot of their released EP's and albums. If you guys get a chance to purchase it listen to Crooked Teeth its catchy and has interesting lyrics. I love everything about this album and dislike nothing. If it was stolen I would go out and buy another one because it's that good. // 10

Plans Reviewed by: letsXlove, on october 05, 2005

Sound: I listen to a lot of indie/garage rock, and I still love Death Cab. The new Plans CD is very good, everything is very nicely put together and the sound sounds very professional for a independent record label. A lot of romantic/love bands today have a lot of just piano and acoustic guitar, and light drums, but Death Cab keeps there music mellow and depressing but with all the normal band instruments including: two guitars, bass, drums, keyboard. I think this CD sounds very good, and with thier appearence on the OC then more people are going to be giving them a shot, and new fans will not be dissa pointed. // 8

Lyrics: Unlike other indie rock bands, the singer is actually very talented, tand the lyrics are poetic and flow quite beautifully, the lyrics thier older cd's were a little more depressing or more darker, if you wnat to sit around and Daydream about the one you love then Plans is just the right CD to do that with. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this CD, and my mom likes this CD, all the scene kids with horn-rimmed glasses and tight pants will enjoy this and it also good for mainstream kids looking to experiment. I would buy this CD many many times and I think this is a good memorable CD of the Death Cab For Cutie series. // 9

Plans Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Sound: This album's sound struck a chord (no pun intended) with me right off the bat. The amount of energy in each song despite it's dark and sad lyrics was surprising. The first song "Marching Bands Of Manhattan" gives you a good feel for the rest of the album. Although somewhat complex, the songs are all pretty cathchy and will have you singing them in your head long after you put away the CD. The sound is very expansive and dreamlike and builds upon that typical Death Cab sound. In this album it seems they use your regular two guitars, bass, and drums an some piano but the way they composed everytihng gives a real unique, innovative sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are the best part of this CD. Most of the songs deal with obvious themes of love and heartbreak which can be closly relatable for most people. I love lyrics that have me sitting there thinking, "I know exactly how that feels," or "There is so much truth to that." The lyrics in this album are dark but have hopefull tones to them, which is a refreshing escape from so much of the "I hate my life, kill me now" type of lyrics out there. My understanding is that the lyrics in a song should be meant to convey a message and spark strong feelings inside you. Plan's definately does this. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say that Death Cab For Cutie is one of the best bands of it's time and has reached a wide audiance. Every one of Death Cab's album gets progressively better than the one before it and Plans definately follow's this pattern. The first week I got this CD, it was playing nonstop in my car and was on repeat on my iPod during class all day long. This album is definately worth buying. My favorite songs are probably "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" and "Someday You Will Be Loved." If anyone stole this CD from me I'd probably hunt them down, steal the CD back and put in it's place a Backsteet Boys CD so they could suffer. Go out and buy this CD. It's a good one. // 10

Plans Reviewed by: jwknov29, on october 17, 2005

Sound: This album is certainly the best of the year, in my opinion. Death Cab never ceases to amaze. Parts of the album were experimental, but the band never deviates from the sound that makes them so great. The keyboard on "What Sarah Said" and "Brothers On A Hotel Bed" the organ on "Marching Bands Of Manhattan," and the mandolin intro on "Soul Meets Body" are all highlights. "Different Names For The Same Thing" is the most experimental track, and the second half of it can probably be chalked up to Ben's time recording the Postal Service album. Ben's melodies are infectious, especially in the chorus for "Soul Meets Body." The drum beats and basslines are tasteful, the guitar work is great as usual, and the piano is fantastic. There is a lot more acoustic guitar on this album, which could've easily been a disaster. However, Death Cab effortlessly avoids that disaster, and produces a great album. Chris Walla could very well be the best producer out there today. // 10

Lyrics: Ben Gibbard is possibly the best lyricist out there today, possibly second only to Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes). He's no Bob Dylan (then again, no one is), but his lyrics have always been one of the things that puts Death Cab over the top. On this album, he gets a little cheesier than he has been in the past, but songs like "Crooked Teeth" and "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" easily compensate. One thing Ben Gibbard will never lose is his ability to write amazing lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: The jump from indie label to major label is, usually, a huge problem for bands like Death Cab. Most artists go downhill when they get signed to a major label, but Death Cab didn't let that happen. They didn't compromise their sound and become more "radio friendly." No one has pulled off the jump to major label like Death Cab for Cutie has, and it will be interesting to see what else they can produce from here on out. Top tracks: Crooked Teeth, What Sarah Said, Brothers On A Hotel Bed. Worst tracks: Stable Song (but even that is a good song). // 10

Plans Reviewed by: hatfullofhollow, on march 24, 2006

Sound: Death Cab For Cutie did a decent job with their album plans. From the first song to the last it is not too far from their usual sound, but at the same time, not too much alike. The album opens up with 'Marching Bands Of Manhattan', a great song, then 'Soul Meets Body' following. All of the songs on the album are very well put together, it feels like DCFC really spent alot of time tweaking this album. The song 'I Will Follow You Into The Dark' is also a very good song, reminiscent of 'Lack Of Color' from Transatlanticism, the only instrument used is the guitar and it works perfectly with the mood and the message being conveyed. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on Plans are very well though out, they accompany the instrumentals very well and add to an overall picture. Plans keeps Death Cab's unique sound, but also renovates it in the process. The lyrics tell you a story, without you knowing it. The lyrics create a picture by using imagery. Overall the effect is very descriptive, and executed fairly well. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a good album, but unfortunately, nothing more. When you listen to the last sond you feel like something is missing. Plans is good, but not as good as it could have been. However, this album is better than 'We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes', but it doesn't quite match up with Transatlanticism. In Transatlanticism, the switch between song is seamless and works very well. Plans is still a very good album, I highly recommend it, but if you are a fan of Death Cab, and you don't have Transatlanticism, do yourself a favor and pick it up. // 8

More Death Cab For Cutie reviews rating latest review