The Photo Album Review

Released: Oct 9, 2001
Label: Barsuk
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Pop, Indie Rock
Its ten tracks explore the near misses and equally tenuous triumphs of human connection.
 9.7
 9.4
The Photo Album Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2005

Sound: Call it what you will "yuppie indie," "emo" or "garage rock" but the special thing about Death Cab is that they switch between all of them. One song can be in your face electric guitars slamming, the next be a chilled out acoustic piece. This is what gives Death Cab the diversity. Plus Ben Gibbard's voice is just so melodic and touching it can give you shivers down your spine. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are brilliant, peiceful and meaningful especially on the track 'Stryofoam Plates' which is for me the stand out track of the record but to be honest not one song on this record is bad. // 10

Overall Impression: As a Death Cab from the beggining stating his view you will never be dissapointed with this album, great sound, great songs, great band. // 10

The Photo Album Reviewed by: :TheAcademyIs:, on january 16, 2006

Sound: The impression I got from this CD's sound was just that simple electric pop-indie sound, but Ben Gibbards voice gives it an amazing twist as always. The meaning in the CD is a lot more personal than most artists go, and the way it's all put together is just this puzzle like masterpiece. A little electric with the oh-so-occasional clean guitar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very strong on most of the songs. I'd have to say the lyrics to all the songs were amazing. Especially "We Laugh Indoors," "Blacking Out The Friction," "Styrofoam Plates," "Coney Island" and the famous "A Movie Script Ending." Metioned in the record was many, many places. For Example, growing up in Denver, moving to LA, and then Coney Island Pakr in Brooklyn. Once again, Ben Gibbard stuns on his lyrics and singer's skills. // 10

Overall Impression: From this album I felt like I was inside Ben Gibbard's head, and I also coundnt help but feel like my problems are so insignificant. This whole "Inside Someone's Head" - personal-past times concept really cant be compared, but I'd have to say it reminded me of Bright Eyes "Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground" when it comes down to personal meanings. I loved that this album was titled "The Photo Album" because it's such an appropriate title. You'd have to listen to it to understand, of course and I highly recomend it. // 10

More Death Cab For Cutie reviews rating latest review