Machine Head Review

deep purple: Machine Head
Released: 1972
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, British Metal
Deep Purple's Machine Head stand as the Holy Trinity of English hard rock.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.7
 9.5
 9.8
Machine Head Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on august 18, 2006

Sound: Great album through & through. Machine Head proved to be one of the greatest classic & influential albums of all time with tracks such as "Lazy", "Highway Star" & of course, the ever-famous "Smoke On The Water." This album has a great sound that dawned a new age of music, forging a heavier sound than most of the groups around at the time. This is an essential album for any fan of classic rock or the pioneers of metal (such as Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath of course). This album is amazing all-around and I still love to put it on from time-to-time & listen to it all the way through. // 9

Lyrics: Ian Gillan is inarguably the greatest singer that ever graced the Deep Purple line-up in my opinion (and most Deep Purple fans as well). His vocals are loud, high-pitched and at other times, chilling. Basically, the lyrics and vocals just go hand in hand. Without them, a lot of singers would not have been. Gillan's operatic style will always be what I consider the starting point of falsetto vocals in rock/metal music, regardless of what anyone else claims. // 8

Overall Impression: Definitely Deep Purple's best studio album (their best being "Made In Japan" which was recorded live during the tour of this album). My personal favourites will always be "Lazy", "Pictures Of Home" (my personal fav) & "Highway Star". But the whole album is amazing to listen to all the way through! This album is over 30 years old, so I wouldn't mind replacing it (since it's easily accesible & inexpensive), but the vinyl copy I have is another story. That's irreplaceable. // 8

Machine Head Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on october 24, 2006

Sound: Black Sabbath were the most important innovators in heavy metal in rock music. Led Zeppelin were the most important innovators of blues in rock music. What's exemplified in 1972's "Machine Head" is that Deep Purple were the most important innovators in blues-inspired metal in rock music. Keeping in mind that Deep Purple was composed of musical geniuses, the musical depth of the album is just astounding. Tight, almost metal-esque rhythms and vocals, classically-inspired complexity, and bluesy keyboard and guitar solos all fill up the album in such an amazing combination that Deep Purple define a style that's all their own. For 1972, this was important. Very important. A new, fresh genre of rock was already starting to emerge. Black Sabbath do (quite fairly) get credited with pioneering heavy metal, but Deep Purple no doubt played an important part in the explosion of the genre. Setting themselves apart from other rock bands at the time by having faster, tighter, and overall darker musical themes and concepts, "Machine Head" remains today to be one of the most important albums of all time. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album displays an incredible balance between epic poetry and lyrical genius (a la "Pictures Of Home"), while at the same time showing off a very rough metal-like edge (a-la "Highway Star"). All in all, I do believe that Ian Gillian is one of the best rock lyricists of all time, and one of the best rock vocalists to match. Manipulating falsetto in a rough way that was previously unprecedented, Ian Gillian's impressive vocal range no doubt inspired later metal bands of the same vein, such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden (fronted by the awesome Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson, respectively; two metal vocalists also well-known for their falsettos). Again using the combination of metal, blues, and more classically-rooted elements, the album's lyrics, much like its music itself, contribute in making Machine Head a masterpiece even today. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, Deep Purple were one of the most important bands of their time, and Machine Head is perhaps their greatest release. It is a mastercraft of classic blues and a forerunner of metal, and it's importance is matched by very few albums of it's time. The album serves up 7 songs and roughly 37 minutes of pure genius, and whether you're a classic rock person, a metal person, a classical person, whatever, just get Machine Head. If you're a fan of music at all, you can't possibly not love it. // 10

Machine Head Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 27, 2004

Sound: This is one of Deep Purple's famous albums. Contains the single "Smoke On The Water". I love the riff to that song, one of the best riffs to exist. I tried listening to the other tracks but they are sort of mediocre, but not bad. Not exactly remarkable. "Smoke On The Water" I consider is actually the main attraction. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Smoke On The Water" tell of an event that really happened to Deep Purple during their recording of Machine Head. They went to the Lake Geneva shoreline in Montreaux to record that album. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention were at the best place around, but someone stupid with a flagon burned the place to the ground. That talks of the actual smoke on the water, and fire in the sky. It burned down the gambling house, died with an awful sound. So the band had to find another place to rest. They found one, then there was this Rolling Stone truck thing just outside, so they made their music there. Note in the lyrics he missung it and said "Rolling Truck Stones Thing", but it still was a good song. Like I said, I tried to get into the other songs, but they are mediocre, in my opinion. // 8

Overall Impression: The main attraction is "Smoke On The Water", which I'm sure a lot of people are familiar of or heard a million times or know very well by its riff. But I suggest that you hear the tracks from the album before you buy it, if you somehow could get into it. // 8

Machine Head Reviewed by: hardrock3, on january 10, 2005

Sound: Great album. This album has brilliant songs on it. 01. Highway Star - best song about cars, and great guitar solo and organ solo. 02. Maybe I'm A Leo - very good, but notup to the rest of the songs on the album. 03. Pictures Of Home - definately one of the best Deep Purple songs. Brilliant drum intro, and you can't say no to a song that has a guitar, keyboard and bass solo. Absolutely brilliant. 04. Never Before - the single off the album. Good, but not a standout. 05. Smoke On The Water - memorable riff, lyrics and guitar solo. It's great but there are other standout tracks on the album. 06. Lazy - the first four minutes on this song are kind of like a jam session with great solos and riffs. Top song. 07. Space Truckin' - final song on album. Great riffs, guitar solo and cool drum solo. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics, Ian Gillian has a fantastic voice and it really shows. The MkII lineup is one of the best in rock history. The lyrics go with the music really well. // 10

Overall Impression: Machine Head is one of my favourite albums, and is a very consistent album. The slower songs like track 2 and 4 are less memorable but nevertheless great. Best song on the album? Pictures Of Home without a doubt. Deep Purple MkII are all immensely talented, especially Jon Lord (keyboard) and Ritchie Blackmore (guitars). Needless to say I'd get this again if I lost it. It's a pity it was the last Deep Purple MkII album. Go and buy it! // 10

Machine Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: Kicks serious ass. Smoke On The Water is not the only attraction or even the main one - the awesome opener highway star is a rock masterpiece, followed by 6 (or more if you have 25th anniversary collection) more brilliant songs. Deep Purple at their best. The only song I have a problem with is Pictures Of Home - a bit bland. However, lazy makes up for this by having the best organ and guitar solos ever (well, probably). // 10

Lyrics: Great. Gillan proves once again that he is a master of rock vocals and produces some lyrics that suit the music perfectly. Not really much more to say about that. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the top 10 albums of all time, and I have a lot of albums. The bets songs, which if you dont but the album you should at least download, are Lazy, Highway Star And Never Before (funkiest guitar part ever). If it were stolen, I would go on a blood rampage and kill everyone in the world until I got it back. It's that good. There is no reason why any rock fan shouldn't love this album, so go buy it now! // 10

Machine Head Reviewed by: franciscanavan, on december 29, 2006

Sound: This is the greatest band of all time on top form. Deep Purple defined heavy metal with In Rock and didn't quite follow it up with it's true successor. Instead they went a bit funkier and released Fireball in the early seventies. With Machine Head Purple have continued to define Hard Rock and Heavy Metal with one of the great British Rock albums. 01. Highway Star - the best track on the album, the best Purple track ever. No rock band can top this song. If your goin for a long drive in your car put this beauty on. Awesome. 02. Maybe I'm A Leo - bluesy riff written by Rodger Glover(bass guitar) and a very good track all round. 03. Pictures Of Home - has Ian Gillan (singer) singing of eagles and snow, nice little riff by Ritchie (lead guitar) and some excellent playing by everyone on this track. 04. Never Before - the single of the album. Good but not a standout track. 05. Smoke On The Water - the most famous riff in rock and quite possibly the best. Not Purples best song by any means but a defining track in the history of rock. 06. Lazy - a bluesy track and another favourite of mineFantastic playing by Ritchie Blackmore (lead guitar) and Jon Lord (keyboards). And when they played this song liv it will blow your mind out of your head. 07. Space Truckin' - again another very simple riff which shows why Blackmores the best riffing guitarist ever.Guitar part in the chorus reminds me of Batman. But nonetheless a fantastic song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very normal for that time and Ian Gillan has a voice that would grab anyones attention. The lyrics go very well with the songs and can be odd in places. Gillan is a very talented singer and can really hit those high notes with what is seemingly ease. The best rock singer ever. Plant and Osbourne cannot touch Gillan. // 10

Overall Impression: This album dosn't compare to other albums in the fact that it's so good. I hate to be a killjoy and complain but there is one complaint I have. And it's that Never Before isn't a song that you would expect Purple to have done. It's a good song but not one that they should of done. Ilove the rawness on this album and you find that rawness on all of Deep Purple's albums. An awesome album. // 10

Machine Head Reviewed by: larmo, on august 11, 2008

Sound: Machine Head was Deep Purples sixth studio album and it was released in 1972. It has lots of great guitar and organ solos. Music styles on this album are hard rock and heavy metal. The album opens with "Highway Star", which is the heaviest song of the album. It's a six minute piece with superb solos by Lord and Blackmore. An other song with lots of solos is called "Lazy". It's over 7 minutes long and mostly instrumental. There is also the song with the best known guitar riff ever on this album, "Smoke On The Water". // 10

Lyrics: Well, there isn't much to say about the lyrics. There aren't usually any special stories behind the lyrics, except in "Smoke On The Water". It tells the famous story when band went to a Frank Zappa concert in Montreux, Switzerland and the concert place was burned down. Ian Gillan is a very talented singer and he has a good voice. He can sing high-pitched and very low vocals well. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say this is the best album by Deep Purple. There are just so great songs on this album. My favourite is probably Highway Star because of the awesome song. Lazy and Pictures of Home are the other standout tracks in my opinion. There isn't much to hate, the only song which I don't like so much is Maybe I'm a Leo, it isn't as good as the others. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen or lost. // 10

Machine Head Reviewed by: will-loves-zep, on august 18, 2007

Sound: Along with Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple were the grandaddies of Heavy Metal. There music is also just as good as the other two, they are just less well known. The album was infact recorded at the grand hotel described in 'smoke on the water' as the original recordig studio planned was damged in the fire set of by the letting off of a flare at frank zappa's gig. The album is very blused influeced and very progressive and as I have said a pre-metal, metal album. the set up is guitar, bass, drums, keyboard and singer which is the difference betweeen deep purple and sabbath and zeppelin. zeppelin used keyboards occasionally but they are a large part of the music in machine head. // 10

Lyrics: the lyrics are great, the style of singing is very much like zeppelin and Ian Giallan was quite the wordsmith on the album. 'Smoke On The Water' is the best sond lyrics-wise on the album and after watching the seven ages of rock on the bbc I could easily take out all of the parts and paste them together. No particuarly long or difficult vocabulary is used but ii think they are great lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: I am astonished that this album isn't more popualr than it is because all of the band were great musicians and the songs were just as good if not better than most other bands of the time. I dom't hate anything about this album except for the fact that ritchie blackmore is too good for my to intimidate. The guitar parts were way ahead of their time and his technical ability is just pure brilliance. the vibrato, the bends, the hammer-ons all of it is just superb skill and hours of practice. 'Smoke On The Water' has grown to be one of the most recognisable riffs in music alongside 'stairway to heaven' and the lyrics are particuarly good telling the tale of their US trip. Highway Star's and Pictures Of Home's solos are true excellence, as I have already said ritchie blackmore was way ahead of his time. The hammering on in highway star's solo is something I have spent hours practicing. All of the riffs, all of the keyboard parts and all of the bass lines, along with the chugging drums are something not to be missed. // 10

More Deep Purple reviews rating latest review