Perfect Strangers Review

artist: deep purple date: 08/19/2006 category: compact discs
deep purple: Perfect Strangers
Release Date: 1984
Label: Mercury
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, British Metal, Rock & Roll, British Invasion
Deep Purple's definitive Mark II lineup finally caved in to the temptation of the almighty dollar, "made up," and reunited for 1984's Perfect Strangers.
 8.3
 8.6
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Perfect Strangers Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on august 19, 2006

Sound: This was the reincarnation of the Mark II line-up for Deep Purple (and unfortunately the last one). It basically retains a lot of the heavy-based elements that Deep Purple became famous for with the start of the Mark II group, but considering that a lot of bands were already around at the time (1984) that were much heavier, this album didn't prove to be competitive in the least. However, the great; classic sound that Purple had was ever-present and made this album effective to me since it's Purple at a high point in their career. Excellent solos & falsetto vocals, this proved to be a pretty decent album just the same! // 9

Lyrics: Gillan wasn't at his best (of course) on this album. The band members already in their 30's or so, most of them weren't (except for Blackmore). However, a lot of the vocals are very well performed and well thought out. Falsetto being less present than ever (a rare thing for Gillan), it semed to work on most levels. Lyrically though, it seemed a lot more corny than earlier efforts, especially on songs like "Knockin' On Your Back Door" for instance. Just the same, the vocals were never really what attracted me to he Purple sound anyway, so it doesn't bother me much. // 7

Overall Impression: It's not Purple's best, but I still really like this album. In terms of an album altogether, I'd have to say it's one of their best albums though. Right next to "Made In Japan", "Machine Head" & "Burn." My personal favourites would have to be "A Gypsy's Kiss", "Knockin' At Your Back Door" & the title has a certain awesome feeling to it as well. But a lot of the riffage & melody lines are pretty cool, especially when compared to a lot of their earlier ones. I'd have a hard time replacing this album since it's not easy to find, so I'm gonna take good care of it, but it's well-worth lisening to if you're a Deep Purple fan (and you can find it). // 8

More Deep Purple reviews rating latest review