Purpendicular Review

artist: deep purple date: 08/20/2007 category: compact discs
deep purple: Purpendicular
Release Date: 1996
Label: Prominent
Genres: Arena Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal, Rock & Roll, British Invasion
If you are fan of hard, guitar-based rock, you are gonna love this record.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Purpendicular Reviewed by: Cobalt Blue, on august 20, 2007

Sound: From the first note's of opening track "Ted The Mechanic" you know this classic band's new guitarist means business. Steve Morse replaces long time guitarist Ritchie Blackmore for this album, but it's hardly a loss. If Steve is a better guitarist is debatable but he's certainly a good pick so fill Ritchie's big shoe's (without the big ego). Purpendicular has a variety of songs from hard rocking tunes such as "(Cascades)I'm Not Your Lover Now" (which contains a very impressive guitar/keyboard duel) to the soft acoustic tracks like "The Aviator" or "A Touch away" and even some more bluesy numbers in the case of the final track "the purpendicular waltz" the entire band was at the top of their game and it really shows. // 10

Lyrics: After years of showing off one of the better screams in Rock & Roll Ian Gillan still has quite a voice. It's matured since the '70s but it's still full of life. The lyrics on album tell many stories. "Ted The Mechanic" a man they met in a bar who gave his life story. "Sometimes I feel like screaming" the story of the singer's wife leaving a message with the hotel but they 'wrote it down in a perfect spanish scrawl' this description might not do it justice but I enjoyed the lyrics on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Classic Band with a new lineup, I loved Purpendicular from the first time I heard it and still do to this day. The guitar work in "Ted The Mechanic" alone is enough to keep an aspiring guitarist occupied for quite some time. There's not a song on the album I don't like. It definitely stands up against classic albums like "In Rock" or even "Machine Head" Deep Purple is definitely one of the best, it not the best Classic Rock band still recording today. If lost or stolen I would buy this again without a second thought. // 10

More Deep Purple reviews rating latest review