The Platinum Collection Review

deep purple: The Platinum Collection
Release Date: Jun 7, 2005
Label: EMI
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, British Metal
3 CD set featuring 41 tracks including single versions, '96 & '97 remixes, and live versions. The collection ranges from 'Hush' in 1968 through to Sun Goes Down from the last album, with a fairly even spread of line-upsHoused in an embossed slipcase.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Platinum Collection Reviewed by: BLACKRAVEN, on january 17, 2006

Sound: Firstly, this is a huge album with a collection of Deep Purple tracks spanning then entire existence of the band (excluding the new album). There is, I belive, a track from every album they released with thrie very own guitar master-mind Ritchie Blackmoore. The best material comes in arround track 9 on the first disc (with the arrival of Ian Gillan as a singer) and these ledgendry rock anthems spawn the entire length of disc two and also the reunion and the end of disc #3. While the Gillan years were eaisily the best for the band I do like the David Coverdale songs as well. Mistreated live is an amazing 11 minute epic of a concert that shows off the full ability of the band, in particular Mr. Blackmoore on the guitar during the intro solo (even showing his influence on EVH and Eruption). The early songs may sound a little dated but is no different to a re-mastered Zeppelin album. So the sound is all incredible. // 9

Lyrics: As I said above the lryics were best with Ian Gillan. But with the influences of the other band members the singing is always spot on with the song. Onle listen to tracks like "Child In Time" and anyone will agree that Ian is somewhat superhuman in his vocal ability. The other singers on the album (such as David Coverdale) are amazing vocalists but Gillan does blow them all away. I'l give this one an 8/10 because there are a few odd-ball tracks such as "No One Came" but these tracks seem written mostly out of humour. The real reason to buy this cd is the anthems: "Woman From Tokyo," "Smoke On The Water," "Highway Star" and the amazing guitar anthem "Child In Time" to name only a few. // 8

Overall Impression: Well I originally baught this collection to listen to the music of such a great band in my car. But I always take the dics out of the CD changer and into the house, studio or jam session. Make no mistake this is a superb collection of hits and near misses by one of the best bands ever to exist in rock. I can't really fault this album in anyway any guitarist could learn one massive lesson from Ritchie Blackmoore. // 10

More Deep Purple reviews rating latest review