Hysteria Review

Lyrics: 7.5
 8.8
 8.5
Hysteria Reviewed by: Hevoc, on january 27, 2004

Sound: This is the best album Def Leppard has ever put out. It's has very Powerful lyrics and RIPPIN guitars. This is A must for any Def Leppard fan. // 10

Lyrics: Women There's not much to say here but that this is a great song. I definitely feel the vibe on this track. A song that should not be skipped. Rocket Damn! This tune blows the friggin' roof off my house.. You can't get any better than this with this classic. You wanna feel a heavy metal vibe? This is the song to listen to. animal Great song. Not as good as the first two but it still has my approval. Love Bites My older brother Chris, another Def Leppard fan, was right about this one. It is a great song. I just felt a click when I first heard it. Pour Some Sugar On Me The big hit from the album. My first favorite off the album. I have always, always liked this song but back then it never had the much impact on me until last Friday, October 11th. I was up in Berwin, PA., watching my dad and his Beatles' tribute band, Almost Fab, up there. While they were setting up, the bar had a jukebox playing. This one came on. I listened to it and it made such an impact on me that it turned me into a fan. Great song. If you want more information on my dad's Beatles' band, go to www.almostfab.com. Armageddon It This one made an armageddon and blew the roof over my bedroom. Awesome tune. Another song that should not be skipped. Gods Of War Good one. Not quite what I was hoping for but still an enjoyable song. Don't Shoot Shotgun This is the same as Gods Of War. But still a good song. Run Riot Great tune. Hysteria My second favorite. It's not quite what some heavy metal fans are looking for because it is a power ballad, but who gives a shit? It's an awesome song. I just can't get enough of power ballads. Excitable My third favorite. And it sounds like a great song to play when you're having a little fun in the sac. LOL. Love And Affection Awesome. That's all I have to say about this one. Awesome. If you are a Def Leppard fan and you do not have this album, then get your [body] movin' and buy this album. You have no idea of what you're missing out on. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is perfect for rockers... Defintely the best Leppard album. Best cuts are Animal, Armageddon It, Hysteria and Love Bites. Mutt Lange is the master of rock! // 10

Hysteria Reviewed by: les_paul_01, on november 04, 2006

Sound: Def Leppard can be easily described as the epitome of 80s pop metal. The slick production, catchy melodies and upbeat vibe of this album all make for something that can be enjoyed by any fan of rock music. This album, released in 1987 and produced by Mutt Lange (famous for work with bands such as AC/DC and the cars) went on to become one of the highest selling releases in rock history, with latest estimates putting sales at nearly 20 million units. The making of the album took an amazing 3 years, and was constantly plagued by problems, such as drummer Rick Allen losing his left arm in a car crash. The album's sound is something of a combination of the pop metal kind of music that was emerging at the time with the band's classic heavy metal sound. The instruments all complement each other, and support the vocals very well. It has to be said that the guitar work is slightly generic, with few excursions outside the normal pentatonic(s) and major scales. As with many other 80s pop metal bands, without unique vocalists the instrumental work of bands could so very easily be mistaken for the work of other bands. // 8

Lyrics: Joe Elliott is a highly talented singer/songwriter, and his skills really come to the fore in this album. He has always maintained throughout Def Leppard's career that his lyrics are non-personal, and meant to be easily accessible and memorable to the listener. That idea is strongly highlighted on "Hysteria", with constant sing-alongs, and lyrics that etch themselves into your mind. One of the small downsides I've found is that sometimes the lyrics become slightly indistinguishable. // 7

Overall Impression: The standout songs of this album in my mind are "Animal", "Hysteria" and "Run Riot". Overall, it is a highly listenable work that can keep the listener entranced with it's memorability. As previously mentioned, the instrumental work can be slightly generic, though there's enough individuality to keep the album from becoming stale. // 8

More Def Leppard reviews rating latest review