Adrenaline Review

artist: deftones date: 01/04/2006 category: compact discs
deftones: Adrenaline
Released: Oct 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Rap-Metal
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Adrenaline Reviewed by: supreemo, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The Deftones debut and definately their most energetic. The opener "Bored" isn't exactly energetic but it definately rocks out hard. I find "Bored" to be more like their future efforts. Then of course we have "Minus Blindfold" which is an instant classic. This song also introduces the famous, light-distortion intros and verses that is a signature of adrenaline. One thing I really respect about the guitarist is that he did this whole album in standard tuning, proving that you don't need drop D to make energetic music. I find one thing kind of annoying, chino sings almost the same notes in every song. Although is does bring the album together as whole it leaves with something to desire. With all this said, this is definately the deftones most energetic effort sonically. // 9

Lyrics: I have to say that I wasn't expecting this from the deftones. Sure there was some swearing on "Around The Fur" but never would I'd of thought they'd go this far, well I suppose that coming up and playing lots of live shows with korn will do that to you. While Chino Moreno is still my favorite lyricist, my favorites of his works ae later in his career. Chino always works well with the music that his band members make, and he does some pretty cool screaming in this CD. One of the only annoying things is that he often sings the same notes in every song. // 8

Overall Impression: While adrenaline is the least artistic of the deftones albums, it is definately their most energetic and fast paced. The most impressive songs on the album are: Bored (awesome vocals and music during the verse), Minus Blindfold (cool chorus and mid-verse explosions are incredible), Nosebleed (another cool guitar riff and all around cool song), 7 Words (amazing chorus), Engine No. 9 (just another crazy deftones song). The ting I love about it is that it ever lets up. It's always in-your-face intense. The thing I hate is that Chino doesn't explore much with his voice. // 9

Adrenaline Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2003

Sound: The sound on adrenaline is almost a kind of "cocky" sound. Stephen Carpenter makes it sound like he can do anything he wants on guitar, but he'd rather play power chords. Abe Cunningham the drummer just beats on those things like he loves it...which he does. Chi Cheng the poetic bassist kept it simple which makes it sound great, the interludes is where he shines.Chino Moreno in my mind is just an amazing frontman. He gives the band that young "lets go out in our crappy cloths and play music" look. He sings as if he were just mumbling words but he makes it amazing for the listener. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were written when Chino was around the ages 0f 14-16. You would think the lyrics are immature, their not! He found a way to write usuing a lot I mean a lot of, of imagery. In the songs he just writes about his experiences which remindes you of yourself when listening to him sing. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is much different than the other 3 albums. This has kind of a heavy metal without all that crappy screaming. It's a heavy pure rock album. Go out and buy it...its worth it. Album Highlights... Bored Minus Blindfold Nosebleed Lifter Root 7Words Engine #9 Fist (Added Track) // 10

Adrenaline Reviewed by: ArmtheArmless, on september 09, 2005

Sound: I the sound of this Deftones album is very raw and aggressive, with the scatchy, whispering screams of Chino, it's amazing. The guitar work is somewhat simplystic with a lot of powerchords, but it's done in innovative and not at all overbearing manner, which is the beauty of it. The drumming is very good with perfectly fitting fills, and the bass guitar is nothing too special just follows the guitar, but he does puts in good interludes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very good, well written, with lots of room for interpetation. Although the vocal melodies are not varied enough from song to song I'll give it a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of my favorite albums with the highlight songs being Bored, Root, 7 words, and Engine#9. If it were stolen I would replace it as fast as I could. // 10

More Deftones reviews rating latest review
+ Koi No Yokan 8.7 01/24/2013