B-Sides And Rarities Review

artist: deftones date: 01/27/2006 category: compact discs
deftones: B-Sides And Rarities
Released: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Rhino
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Rap-Metal, Alternative Pop/Rock
Now Maverick's new compilation sheds light on lesser-known output with covers, unreleased mixes, video B-Roll, and other choice rarities.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.5
 8.7
 8.2
reviews (5) user comments vote for this album:
B-Sides And Rarities Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2005

Sound: The sound on the album was really not what I had expected from the Deftones. Many of the songs had very low recording quality and most of the music was quite "lack of luster." I hate to give it a bad review because I've loved the Deftones since their debut. Though some of the songs, especially the acoustic tracks, sounded great that doesn't stop this album from being a huge let down. I guess thats what you get with a CD titled "B-Sides And Rarities." // 6

Lyrics: Deftones' lyrics are always great, minus the predecessor to this album. This album stays true to that Deftones standard of quality and also manages to really effectively use some cover songs to its benifit. I will say though, Deftones and "Simple Man" do not mix well. // 9

Overall Impression: I guess you could say that this is your average B-Sides release; and what I mean by that is: no matter how you look at it, there's nothing that can save this album's recording quality. Other than that it was a great album. If I had to pick a couple of favorite songs from this album it would probably be "Change In The House Of Flies (Acoustic)" and "Digital Bath (Acoustic)." They are two of the the best quality songs on the entire CD. If I had to recomend a "pass or buy" on this album, I'd say pass unless your like me and just wanted the DVD. // 7

B-Sides And Rarities Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2005

Sound: It's not your average Deftones sound. Chino's voice sounds a bit different from the studio albums. The sound is quite diverse, ranging from peaceful atmospheric acoustic pieces (Change, Digital Bath, Be Quiet and Drive Far Away), to nicely distorted guitars (Savory, Simple Man), to standard Deftones distortion (Crenshaw Punch, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, Sinatra), to blissfully and strangely atmospheric songs (No Ordinary Love, Wax And Wane, The Chauffeur, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Teenager: Idiot Version, Black Moon). // 8

Lyrics: As always, Chino's lyrics are excellent. The cover songs's lyrics are great as well. The vocals fit the music like a glove (Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, Savory, etc). Chino's wails, whines, screams, raps, or whatever the hell he does is alway superb! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is way more atmospheric and quite haunting (not in a scary way) compared to their other albums. I love B-Sides because I believe that they allow the fan/listener to dive a little deeper into what the band is really all about. However, I was quite disappointed when I saw that not every rare song was on this compilation. On the back of the CD case it specifically says, "Well here you go. All our videos, moments in time, extra tracks, and your pics." Really? No, not really. All of their videos and other stuff is all good, but the CD is missing a ton of awesome songs. I'm not really asking for a 70 song box of rarities (although that would rule your ass entirely), but it would be nice if they made it a 2 CD/1 DVD set, not just a 1 CD/1 DVD set. // 9

B-Sides And Rarities Reviewed by: Aaron 2, on october 05, 2005

Sound: Now this is a good album, if you like Deftones' old stuff, then this is the one for you. The tracks are a very interesting variety of melodic and thrashy tracks, but be aware, some people by an album and expect a single to come out, but if you understand this, then you are in for a treat. I find this is a new change and step for this band as most great bands bring out rarities ablums, and if you are a fan and want most there tracks and dont want to spend too much, then this is the album for you! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are just the usual style of the Deftones, but that does not make it boring, the lyrics are random, but they work like poetry. The singing skills are unique, not just because he uses distortion, but he does use it on every track, but not through the whole songs (but he does on most of them). // 9

Overall Impression: This album is quite similar to Static-X, B-Sides And Rareities infact. I would say most of the tracks on the album are impressive, but I do think the song that stands out the most is track 8 Crenshaw Punch/I'll Throw Rocks At You. What annoys me is that the songs are slightly repetative and I'm worried that they wont have that long lasting quality. I personally would buy it again if it were lost or stolen, but would you? // 9

B-Sides And Rarities Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Sound: I love the deftones I didn't really like there 1st album (sorry the rapping turned me off). This is the B-Sides And Rarites collection which is basically a look back at the Deftones career but not in a greatest hits sort of way. Soundwise this collection doesn't do anything to really stand out I mean it sounds like a lofi recording of what the deftones from there past stuff. But the DVD has a good sound quality. // 8

Lyrics: Chino is probably the one of the best vocalist around and probably the most underrated also. Chino can sing scream and rap something few people can actually do without sounding Korny. Songs where Chino does stand out are Change, Digital Bath, Be Quiet & Drive, & No Ordinary Love are just a few. Lryically this collection is just like any other Deftones album you don't know exactly what the f--k Chino is talking about and you have to sit down and listen and actually pay attention and dig deep into. So lyrically this album does suffice like any other Deftones album. // 8

Overall Impression: Well honestly I do think there should've been more tracks but knowing that the Deftones themselves picked these tracks then I am not going to complain. I honestly would not recommend this to a causal Deftones fans only a hardcore Deftones fan should get this otherwise you might be slightly disappointed. // 9

B-Sides And Rarities Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2006

Sound: This is a great CD. Even if it is just B-Sides And Rarities, I treat it like a regular cd. The sound is incredible. Smashing guitars, powerful basslines, pounding drums, and beautiful vocals make this a treat for the ears. Most songs are covers and the ones that arent are acoustic versions of original songs or a few new ones from soundtracks or just unreleased material. It's all good though. // 10

Lyrics: The Deftones have always been a band that have incredible thought provoking and interesting lyrics and vocals. I find that this is some of chinos best singing, even if he sings soft and quiet most of the time. Listen to songs like Savory, Change, No Ordinary Love, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, and Be Quiet and Drive to get the full vocal effect from Chino. Simply beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite tracks are Savory, Wax and Wayne, Simple Man, Sinatra, Crenshaw Punch, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, and my favorite is Be Quiet And Drive. If I was a girl I would cry when listening to that song, its unbelievable. Bottom Line: if you're a Deftones' fan - get it. Simple as that. Plus it comes with a DVD. Enjoy. // 10

More Deftones reviews rating latest review
+ Koi No Yokan 8.7 01/24/2013