Deftones Review

artist: deftones date: 01/03/2005 category: compact discs
deftones: Deftones
Released: May 20, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Bleak, Cathartic, Nocturnal, Visceral, Aggressive, Fiery, Intense, Dramatic
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.9
 9.3
 8.5
Deftones Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2003

Sound: Like all the previous albums the sound is great, only this time the production seems to be like a million times better sounding. They've never sounded so heavy, the dynamic changes alone at times are a little startling. But having said that, it does follow very closely to pretty much what they did for White Pony. // 8

Lyrics: As usual your wondering what the hell did that line have to do with ANYTHING. Still, most the time it's probably not meant to mean anything that remarkable, which is a charming idea in itself. Some absolute killer lines which will only mean anything you when you hear it with the music rather than reading it on paper. But, once again, ole Chino is doing the same things lyrically as he has all the previous albums. // 8

Overall Impression: It is by far their best album, but not by THAT much. Think of it as a more polished [if that was possible] White Pony album. Better riffs, better over all timbre,heavier guitars and some great vocal processings. Oh yeh theres also some cool ass sampling, as usual you could say. If you never liked their previous stuff you should probably just stay away here too,though I do find it hard to believe that at least one song wouldnt suit ya. // 8

Deftones Reviewed by: BainsStatic, on january 16, 2004

Sound: Melodic, Heavy. Chino Moreno comes out very well on most tracks with excellent vocals (Hexagram, Minerva, Good Morning Beautiful). Dubbed "Riffmaster" by me, Stephen Carpenter works his magic with the guitar again, this time using a 7-string. Each guitar riff is diverse with its own influences. Abe Cunningham's solid drumming is very prevalent throughout, again, being diverse. Bassist Chi Cheng is sometimes overshadowed with Steph's guitar riffs but if you listen closely you can tell the bass lines are also very solid and differ from the numetal trend of "same guitar same bass" riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good however sometimes can be a little too abstract to be of meaning to the general listener. Cheng's backing vocals are well done. // 8

Overall Impression: Very solid 4th album from this hometown band (Sacramento, California). Solid instruments throughout. Go buy it! Comments? E-mail me at bainsstatic@yahoo.com // 10

Deftones Reviewed by: deftonesrule!!!, on may 05, 2004

Sound: There is nothing else like the deftones from heavy guitar riffs to quiet eerie moments the sound is unique. Some songs sound like nu metal where others are scarily quiet. A few songs in the middle are kinda average in bits but overall great sound. // 10

Lyrics: Chino's voice follows the sound, loud to quiet screaming his lungs out to whispering he conveys emotion effortlessly. Again bits can tire without innovation and some lyrics aren't interesting but overall pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: Deftones are my favourite band in heavy music. They're really unique leaving linkin park and the other pretenders behind. Minerva is a great song as is needales and pins nearly everything is great. I'd buy it again if it were stolen. For anyone who likes metal but maybe hear a few songs first as it might be a aquired taste. // 10

Deftones Reviewed by: element123, on december 24, 2004

Sound: This album is one of the best albums there is in te metal-scene. This is not a normal metal-album like Linkin Park or so, it's original and sounds great. Stephen's guitar sounds really heavy on this album, as he is a great guitarist too. Some people will say: "this is not hard to play, there are no solo's in it", but that's not Deftones! This music is unuiqe. About the songs on the album: from heavy metal with loud screams to emotional metal songs, with beautiful melodies. Stephens plays only seven-strings on this album, so the chords sounds more warm and full. Chino is really a great singer, as he can scream his lungs dead and on other sings beautiful melodies. Bass-player Chi Cheng also screams heavy! I should say: if you like metal, buy this album. This is really one of my favourite metal albums ever, enjoy it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really godo on this album. From sings where you thnik (strange lyrics) to songs with emotional lyrics, as in 'Minerva', 'Hexagram'. The lyrics on the song 'Lucky You' are really cool (great song). I think the lyrics of 'Battle Axe' are about someone who's dead, and the other one's not strange. The song #6 'When Girls Telephone Boys' is one of the best. Ever. Really. First I thought: to much screams and to heavy, but when you listen to it much you really giong to live with it. You have to listen to the lyrics, I almost have to shit when I hear Chino screaming. "Yeah if you like that we can ride on a Black Horse, a new wave Hesperian Death Horse." That sentence is so cool. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Deftones album and one of the best albums ever made. Look at the cover: the Roses stand for the beatiful lyrics and melodies on the album, and the skull stands for the heavy riffs and loud screams. Buy it. // 10

Deftones Reviewed by: theDEFTONEr, on january 03, 2005

Sound: In my opinion, the Deftones have a sound that no one can touch without stealing it. The music is different on every album, but you can always tell it is Deftones because of the way the instruments flow, and because of the vocals. I truely can't get enough of the sound of their fouth album. // 10

Lyrics: Chino, the vocalist, writes all of the lyrics, they are very good, but you probably won't be able to listen t a song and know exactly what it is about, because it is an interpretative style. If you are a fan of "I hate you blah blah..." or something that direct you won't be happy here. Chino has a moaning kind of voice that you either love you hate, so that is up to you. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is stellar, it is neck-to-neck with White pony, but better then their first two. I think the band is just going to continue to improve in the future. I love the music and the vocals, and how they tie together. The strongest tracks are "Needles And Pins," "Bloody Cape," and "Good Morning Beautiful." If I lost this I would defanately get a new one. // 10

More Deftones reviews rating latest review
+ Koi No Yokan 8.7 01/24/2013