Saturday Night Wrist Review

deftones: Saturday Night Wrist
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
Label: Maverick/Reprise
Genres: Alternative Rock
There are not a lot of "singles" on the album, but that fact in itself makes the CD a refreshing alternative in today's music world.
 Lyrics: 7.4
 8.6
 8.1
 9.1
Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 01, 2006

Sound: The Deftones are back with a CD that once again challenges traditional musical structure and succeeds in their quest. Saturday Night Wrist is a solid release that never hesitates to throw different sounds or tempos at you, which may or may not throw some listeners off guard. There are not a lot of singles on the album, but that fact in itself makes the CD a refreshing alternative in today's music world. Saturday Night Wrist does not start off perfectly, but the Deftones (vocalist/guitarist Chino Moreno, drummer Abe Cunningham, bassist Chi Cheng, keyboardist Frank Delgado, and guitarist Stephen Carpenter) quickly remedy the situation. The first track Hole In The Earth is actually somewhat disappointing because in some ways it sounds like plenty of other bands and never strays from its original slow-tempo format. There's nothing wrong with building up to a climax if you're a band, but Hole In The Earth is just a little too subtle in its approach. While there are some nice ethereal guitar work from Carpenter underneath the majority of the song, not a lot stands out about the song. Combat offers the best of the Deftones on the latest CD. With its continued rising and then falling tempo, the track captures that mysterious feel that make the Deftones stand apart from other contemporary bands. The song manages to encompass multiple sounds -- from the smooth chord-driven chorus to a manic attack on the verse sections. While Moreno uses his silky delivery for the majority of Saturday Night Wrist, he unleashes his screamo side on this track. But unlike a lot of screamo bands, Moreno growls at appropriate times that allow the song to transition from section to section easily. Guest appearances by System Of A Down vocalist Serj Tankian and Giant Drag's Annie Hardy do provide an interesting break in the usual Deftones sound. Tankian's vocal addition in Mein is unfortunately brief and the song actually could have benefited by a bit more of his presence. Hardy's work on Pink Cellphone is more of a sexy speaking role, but she does succeed in making the track stand out from the rest. The Deftones never have done things the traditional way and that's what consistently makes them an intriguing band. Saturday Night Wrist, although it has some flaws, is no exception to this fact. At times, the band almost feels Radiohead-ish in that its heavy use of minor chords and the smooth vocal delivery of Moreno. For listeners seeking out accessible, chord-driven records, the Deftones will be a hard listen. But the band should be commended for exploring new ways to mold rock songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on Saturday Night Wrist are succinct and not necessarily as elaborate as the band's music, but they aren't always audible anyway. The odd themes associated with the songs actually fit the nontraditional musical formats as well. In Mein, it is a bit hard to clearly make out what Moreno is singing about, but there does seem to be plenty of emotion behind the thoughts. He sings, I'd like to pull you into me; Intercept you in between; But I will never walk without, outside. These are intimate thoughts he is having -- regardless if it is love or hate that is motivating them. The band once again poses unusual and likely unanswerable questions in Beware. Moreno sings, Do you like the way the water tastes? Like god's fire; For you but you could never say; Then come forth 'cause it's coming round. The lyrics are not the easiest to take in and some listeners might find the abstract ideas a bit too pretentious. But the Deftones do a pretty fine job of making the words just as unique as the music. // 8

Overall Impression: The Deftones' latest CD is one that you'll likely need to listen to several times to get the full effect. There are so many layers of sound in each song that every time you pop Saturday Night Wrist in your CD player, you're bound to hear something completely different than the time before. For fans of catchy hooks and melodies, the Deftones will probably leave you yearning for your Fall Out Boy album, but the band isn't striving to be a child of MTV. While the guest vocal appearances do add a nice contrast in the CD, the band has written songs that don't need to rely on any extra help. While the Deftones haven't quite made a masterpiece, they have created an album that sounds like nothing else out there -- and that's a godsend in itself. // 9

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: mr smiley, on november 01, 2006

Sound: The word "triumph" is thrown around too often by reviewers, often describing an album or movie as a triumph when there in fact hasn't been a great deal of hardship that the band or director has overcome to produce their work, however, in the case of "Saturday Night Wrist", this album is nothing short of a triumph. After the massive rift in their relationship, deftones have still managed to produce a beautiful album that is equal parts aggressive and melodic, smothering any doubts the fans or the band themselves have had about their previous self titled album. A lot of bands have shown a distinct change in their sound recently, some being good, others being a huge disappointment, it was a huge relief to see Saturday Night Wrist revisiting a 'White Pony' sound with a huge success. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are largely reflected from the conflicts the band have endured while making this album, the opening song/latest single "Hole In The Earth" serves as quite an appropriate opener, with lyrics such as "I hate all of my friends, they all attack sometimes," epitomises the albums influences of conflict. Chino has once again proven to his fans he still hasn't lost his amazing ability to harmonise his voice with the melodic choruses this album is packed with and has achieved the familiar chaotically heavy but relaxing qualities we've seen in recent albums, songs such as "Rats! Rats! Rats!" combine violent verses breaking into an ambient chorus, this style is also repeated in "Combat," tracks that will be guaranteed not to get boring for a very long time. // 8

Overall Impression: Fans who for whatever reason, where disappointed by Deftones self titled album are guaranteed to not be disappointed a second time, the sound of this album resembles more of the White Pony era and while perhaps just falling short of White Pony, is definitely worth a buy from anyone that appreciates an energetic but ambient and deep sound. This album gives the creeping feeling that it may be the last album we'll hear from Deftones for a long time due to their conflict causing them to quite while they are ahead. While some songs such as "Pink Cell Phone" with a concept that is difficult to understand may not be the most appealing. The song "Rapture" is a reminder of the aggressive genius that "Elite" held back on the "White Pony" album while songs such as "Beware The Water" and "Combat" are absolute masterpieces and shown that they where well worth the wait while they were being re-mixed. // 9

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 02, 2006

Sound: The sound is incredible! You can tell that this album was produced differently from previous ones, since Terry Date did not produced it. The sound in general sounds more mellow, melodic, less aggressive with less screaming and more great Tenor-Alto singing. The album sounds less rock and roll and more electronic-alternative. Great sound overall. The Deftones have evolved musically for the better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really short and repetitive somewhat. Hole in The Earth must have the best lyrics, since they convey a straight-forward emotion of betrayal and sadness. In fact, all of the lyrics are good, except for those on Pink Cellphone which in my opinion make no sense. Xerces has the best message of all. It provides for liveration such as when you have had a long day and all you want to do is get away from everything. Perfect for one of those days you are just so pissed off at the world and you just want to say "f--k this, I am out". // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this must be the best Deftones CD of all. Yes, it does sound like anything but rock or nu-metal, and it is not as aggressive as the other ones, but this CD is perfect to me. It is one of those albums that shows maturity in a band. Chino and the rest of the band have grown older, and they no longer want to complain about life anymore. Instead, they make an album which makes you feel like, the worst is now over, and now it's all peaceful. Most of the songs take you to a place far from all the pressure, similar to Drive (Faraway). I love this album, and I knew this guys were going to do it big time again since before the album was released. // 10

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: S2S, on november 02, 2006

Sound: After three very long years, the harsh, beautiful, and atmospheric Deftones have finally returned with their new CD Saturday Night Wrist. I shouldn't say that they've returned since, in my eyes anyway, they were never gone. Deftones are a hard working and hard playing group out of Sacramento who burst onto the scene with their 1995 debut Adrenaline. Now, over a decade later, they've released the absolutely astounding Saturday Night Wrist. From the spacey and ambient first track, Hole in the Earth, to the chaotic and punishing Rats! Rats! Rats!, all the way to the final beautiful strains of the closer, Riviere, this album will never cease to amaze and surprise you. The sound of this album could be described by so many different words. Ambient, heavy, beautiful, creepy, and huge all come to mind. I hope you understand what I mean when I say that tracks like Cherry Waves (my personal favorite as of right now) and Xerces sound HUGE. Their choruses make you feel like you're in a different time and place, they just surround you. That's something Deftones have been able to do ever since White Pony, and is very prominent on their last release, Deftones. In fact, Cherry Waves reminds me very much of Minerva, but in a good way, not like they copied the same format of an older song. That's never been a problem with Deftones, they constantly come back and give you something that you've never heard before or at least never expected, which makes me love them as much as I do. Another aspect of the trademarked Deftones sound is the dynamics presented within each track. They perfected the quiet verse, heavy chorus style back on Adrenaline, but these days, they get much more into the dynamics of their songs than that. The perfect example of this is the track Rats! Rats! Rats!. It goes from a heavy verse to a big ambient chorus to a punishing breakdown section you'd expect from Soulfly. This one is the most chaotic on the album, and is incomparable to anything the band has ever done. I think the biggest surprise on this album comes in the form of the track Pink Cellphone. The sort of trip hop beat and almost techno atmosphere of the song isn't the shocker, it's the appearance of the band Giant Drag's singer Annie Hardy on vocals. She reads what seems to be a combination of a poem and an old prayer over the beat for a few minutes (along with Chino singing at parts), and then there's a break. After a moment, the beat comes back and Annie starts going off on some hilarious and disgusting topics including hot carling and butt f--king. This was totally unexpected, but I seriously love it. The band obviously left it in there to be funny, which it is, but I think that it also perfectly conveys the power of an innocent, sexy female voice talking about dirty things. In all, the power and emotion that defines Deftones is alive and well on "SNW", and I don't think that it will ever die. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, Saturday Night Wrist does not disappoint in any way, shape, or form. There seems to be a general theme in regards to the lyrics, that being Chino writing about nature and outer space. The words universe and Earth appear countless times in many of the tracks, but they never get repetitive. On the natural aspect of things, Cherry Waves and Beware revolve around bodies of water, with In a sea of waves/We hug the same plank coming from the former, and Do you like the way the water tastes like gunfire? coming from the latter. Also, there is a lot of confusion and stress evident in Chino's writing, which has always been there on past albums, but is right in the forefront on SNW. This confusion and even anger obviously stems from the problems that the band went through during the writing and recording of this album. Whether it be difficulties between Chino and producer Bob Ezrin, or hard feelings within the band because of Chino's long absences or conflicting ideas, some tracks are just riddled with confusion. The songs Rapture and Combat are great examples of this. Here's some lyrical choices that fit this claim: You twist everything else around/Now you're f--king with me/Waste of/Waste of my time and This time the fingers pointed right at you/Whose side are you on? /Whose side are you on? You really get the feeling that Chino is going through something that's tearing him apart inside. I could seriously talk about his writing forever, but for the sake of keeping this review somewhat shorter, I'll stop there. // 9

Overall Impression: Individually, every member contributes a wealth of talent and influence on every song. Frank's spooky and ambient effects/keyboard playing really shines on this album, Chi's crushing bass lines run right through your body, Chino's voice absolutely soars, Abe's excellent beats get you moving so damn well, and Stephen's unbelievable ability to make simple guitar lines sound like so much more really make this album what it is: amazing. In summary, there is so much to love about this album that any small flaws or negative aspects are completely overshadowed. There is really something here for everyone, and I would not be the least bit surprised to hear some of these songs get heavy radio play. If you haven't heard anything from Saturday Night Wrist or even anything from Deftones in general, or if you're still on the fence as to whether you want to buy it or not, trust me, it's an extremely intelligent purchase, and you will not be disappointed. // 9

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: Crimsonashes, on december 04, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is classic deftones. The heavy down-tuned 7 string guitars are all there. The first single, Hole in the Earth contains the moans and forlorn calls that made Chino famous. Rapture is a classic example of the sound that also made the Deftones famous. It reminds me of around the fur a bit, although not as sadistic. Rats, Rats, Rats is another great example. However there is a definite difference in the musical elements the Deftones utilize. A song like Pink Cellphone is a prime example. I wouldn't call it complete 'straying from the path,' although The previous deftones album did not have anything as experimental. Annie Hardie is featured on this song, so that too give it an erie techno-ish quality. Not one of my favorites. For classic deftones sound choose, Rats, rats, Rats, Beware, Hole in the earth, and Cherry waves. Also I'd like to add that the instrumental is organized very well (U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start) I enjoyed that portion of experimenting. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are stunning Chino and the gang write very nicely. It can be hard to hear the man sometimes, however the CD booklet comes with lyrics so you won't be left in the dark. I enjoy how the lyrics fit in with the songs Beware, cherry waves, and Hole in the earth, the most. Mein is good too. Pink Cellphone becomes repetitive. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to other deftones albums it's alright. I personally enjoyed the self-titled album and white pony a whole lot better. However this is not to say this isnt a good album. It just has less of what a person who fell in love with the Deftones' White Pony is in to. I would not buy this CD if it was stolen. Instead I'd buy the songs I enjoyed directly from itunes or another legal music progam. The most Impressive Songs are: Hole in the Earth, Mein, Rats Rats Rats, Rapture, Beware, and Cherry Waves. On occasion I enjoy Xerces as well. // 7

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: ohmerrymayhem, on december 05, 2006

Sound: Amidst all the ass kissing love fans of the Deftones who think that everything they do is gold, there has to be one honest review from someone who is unbiased. This will be that review, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for almost every word of it. That said, the album is bland at best. Where once there was burning intensity and driven riffs that were pushed by Abe's hard hitting drums and Chi's undertow pull of bass playing, there are now jutting and unfitting rhythmic thrusts that mix badly with the rest of the content. The vocals, once used well, conveying a powerful mixture of heartfelt but confusing lyrics and gutteral screams, have degenerated into the same off-key wailing to be expected of emo bands. The only point that keeps the album from sinking completely is Stephen Carpenter's atmospheric and textural guitar work, which carries the album just above the abyss. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics, honestly, take a back seat to the music, which at most times is boring. However boring it may be, though, it's definately more pleasing on the ears than the vocals are since the notes played by guitarist Stephen Carpenter and bassist Chi are on key. Chino has focused more on holding long notes and clean tones as opposed to what worked for his voice. While it's commendable to leave your comfort zone and try something new, it doesn't suit him well on this album or the last, as he struggles time and time again to reach the notes for which he's striving. // 1

Overall Impression: In short, this may be one of the worst Deftones albums available. Fans should save themselves the time and just buy a copy of Around the Fur or Adrenaline and call it a day. While White Pony was truly the last record where the Deftones sounded like the Deftones, this album provides a fresh look at Carpenter's abilities on the guitar, as he as well steps out of his safety zone and takes large new steps in creating a more atmospheric tone, e.g. Pink Floyd meets Deftones. Songs like "A Hole In The Earth" will save the album, seeing as they are the only few in which you can tell you're listening to the deftones instead of some Coldplay meets Deftones meets AFI matchup. All in all, I regret spending my money on the album. It was highly disappointing. // 3

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2007

Sound: The sound for this album is a lot different from everything else that they've done so far. It's a lighter metal but still has the same 'deftones' feel to it. Stephen Carpenter also has a 4 minute instrumental track on the album titled "U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start". The song is named after a code for a sega video game, so claims Carpenter. it's probably the lightest half of the album, alongside the final track 'Riviere'. For the song 'Mein', Chino Moreno (vocals) is accompanied by Serj Tankian of System Of A Down. Overall the album, for me, is probably one of the deftones highest accomplishments. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were a lot more focused on the state of the world, as opposed to Morenos personal demons or his boredom. This album's vocals had more soft spoken verses than shouted statements, unlike most of the other albums. It toned down the metal side of it, but it was equally done well. // 7

Overall Impression: The album itself was not recognized nearly as much as it should have been by metal fans or writers, and was nearly forgotten after the ad's were taken down. This is the Deftones final album, so they claim, so if you have not heard this album, go out and pick up a copy. If you don't like it, give it away to someone. don't ruin this work of art. // 9

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2007

Sound: It was three long years since the Deftones released an album, and boy have they come back with a bang. The sound is huge and at time can be crushing. From the opener "Hole in the Earth" to the closer "Riviere" ("Drive" if you got the disc with the bonus track), the album is a roller coaster of a ride. At first spin I had a hard time accepting this as Deftones simply because they have gone in a whole new direction. The sound swings from beautiful, immense tracks such as "Cherry Waves" and "Xerces" to bonecrushing tracks like "Rats, Rats, Rats!" and "Rapture". The way the guitars, bass, drums, and vocals blend together has sent chills up my spine, and at times the sound can be frightening. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are nothing short of cyptic. Chino's talent of being able to write deep, emotional lyrics and then carrying them out in his singing ability is clearly brought out in this album. The lyrics and vocals blend extremely well with the music. At times Mr. Moreno is singing with lighter instrumental sound, and screaming visciously at the top of his lungs while the instrumental sound are devasting. // 8

Overall Impression: While clearly not "White Pony", this album is the second best album the Deftones have recorded thus far. The most notable tracks on this disc are "Rats, Rats, Rats!", "Cherry Waves", "Rapture", and "KimDracula". The thing I love most about this album is the fact that it sounds nothing like anything else you can buy, no one can touch the Deftones. The thing I hate most about this or any album are contributing artists. The Deftones have the skill and talent to pretty much not even need help from someone else, unless they have Dino Cazares or Marilyn Manson join in on the fun. Oh, and if this disc were lost, stolen, and/or broken, I will definetly buy it again. // 9

Saturday Night Wrist Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on april 20, 2009

Sound: The Deftones are usually associated with turn-of-the century nu metal along with acts like System Of A Down and Linkin Park. While they admittedly share some characteristics with the genre, the Deftones have proven time and again to be above such narrow genre classifications. Saturday Night Wrist is no exception, with the band putting aside the heavy, crunchy rhythms of their earlier work in favour of a dreamier, more ambient approach. That's not to say that the album is completely devoid of hard-rock moments; some tracks are as driving as they are textured, relying as much on pulsating rock rhythms as they do on wall-of-sound ambience. This is a much less genre-based and much less restricted album than much of the Deftones' previous work, an album whose strength lies on the apparent tension between guitarist Stephen Carpenter's metal-inspired technique and the dream-pop influences explored by Chino Moreno with his side project Team Sleep. The result of this tension is an edgy, oftentimes daring final product which manages to walk the line between hard and soft. // 9

Lyrics: The dream-pop influence that is obvious throughout the songs on Saturday Night Wrist extends to both the vocals and the lyrics. The wide, spatial production of the album has Chino Moreno's vocals masked in a shimmer of reverb for almost the entire duration of the album in the habitual dream-pop fashion. His lyrics are also visibly influenced by the genre, often indulging in dreamy abstractions and metaphors, such as on "Kimdracula" and "Mein". Moreno manages the difficult task of using such a lyrical style while resorting to very few angsty cliches. Both the lyrics and the vocal seemed perfectly matched to the Deftones' take on ambient rock and play a huge role in the efficiency with which the album is able to create moods and tectures. // 9

Overall Impression: I enjoy most of the Deftones' material, but until I heard Saturday Night Wrist, I didn't really think of myself as much of a Deftones fan. This is an album that succeeds in creating a variety of rich textures, calling to mind a pallette of different moods. The band moves with ease from the dissonant mess of the angry "Rapture" to the sweet, spacey instrumental "U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start", from the propulsive riffing on the opener "Hole In The Earth" to the rhythic "Kimdracula". Admittedly, some songs feel as though they do not belong on the album ("Pink Cellphone" is particularly frustrating, feeling neither appropriate to the tone of the rest of the album, nor really appropriate to the Deftones as a band), but all in all, the album is very sold and makes for an interesting listen, even the tehnth time around. Saturday Night Wrist features a band at their most daring and experimental, and the end result is something that truly transcends everything nu-metal has come to mean, and everything that the Deftones have come to mean. // 8

More Deftones reviews rating latest review
+ Koi No Yokan 8.7 01/24/2013