White Pony Review

artist: deftones date: 05/17/2010 category: compact discs
deftones: White Pony
Released: Jun 20, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge, Rap-Metal
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.7
 9.5
 9.8
White Pony Reviewed by: Mr.Awesome, on january 18, 2006

Sound: The Deftones have a very metal sound. It remains loud and somewhat heavy on this album without going over the top. Songs like "Korea" and "Elite" are perfect examples of this. The CD has a wide range of music genres all packed into one great record. Metal, rap, soft rock, and alternative rock all make this CD a remarkable piece of music well worth buying. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are outstanding. The singer really has a magnificent singing voice that soots the music perfectly. Plus, big thumbs up to MJK who makes an appearence in "Passenger," he is possibly the greatest singer of modern metal to date and his contribution to this CD makes it so much better. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an excellent CD. Every song is unique and different and are hard to get sick of. Certain songs stick out, of course, like "Korea," "Passenger" and "Back To School," are probably the best songs on the CD. Hell, they might be the best songs out by them in general (except maybe "My Own Summer," that song still has a place in my heart). // 10

White Pony Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2010

Sound: It is a very unique, articulate, signature sound. I have found the sound of Deftones overall an inspiration with desirable affect. But I feel the sound on White Pony to be their best work: using all elements including Nu Metal, Rap, Alternative Metal, Trip Hop, Alternative Rock. The guitar sounds are stupendous, really complement the art and expression they aim for, Chino's vocals are on constant balance of anger, happiness and sadness: the way he works his vocal tones have been really beneficial to the lyrics and the band. // 10

Lyrics: As a guitarist, I am not a lyricist expert, which is why I leave that job to the vocalist. All I can definately say is that the lyrics work well with the different vocal styles. Chino's style is iconic, the way he works his voice is truely an inspiration. 'Elite' gives the harsh, roar, thrust of his screaming, and in 'Digital Bath,' the affect takes its toll with his softer melodic vocal lines, but the amazing part is when the two are combined in songs like 'Street Carp' and 'Korea.' // 10

Overall Impression: Deftones are without a doubt one of my inspirations, as well to alot of people I know, and White Pony is definately one of my favourite albums of all time. The way it stands out from many artists/ albums/ any other Deftones Discography is the fact that it was a major success: contain a variaty of signature sounds and dynamics. Favourite songs have to be 'Back to School, Digital Bath, Elite, Knife Party, Korea, Change.' There is nothing I particularly hate about the album, it is superior to their other albums: not that their other stuff is bad, I merely prefer White Pony out of them all.I would buy it over and over again! // 10

White Pony Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Sound: The sound usually created by Deftones a harsh, heavy sound, but with White Pony, those same descriptions can be used with a hybrid of others like melodic and emo, although they still hold up that good ol' fashion heavy metal listning to, with the likes of "Elite". However a side of the Deftones comes through that hasn't been shown, or very little on their previous albums - softer, more melodic songs. This new inspiration has given birth to more radio friendly songs, and possibly why you would've heard them a lot more from this album than the others. White Pony as a whole is a lot more "polished" and the general tone of the album sounds like they've put much more effort into the mixing and mastering process. // 8

Lyrics: Chino Moreno sings more mature, and better thought out lyrics than previous albums with a variety of singing techniques that, suit the style of genre in this album perfectly - emo and melodic/metal and alternative. Chino doesn't just sing about heart break and how the girl got away, but other not so talked about topics like anemism, depression and death. Though if you are looking for a bit more screaming and insane noises made by the Deftones singer, then you may possibly like to look somewhere else. The hardcore screams are a little bit more remnant from Around The Fur. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've said in other reviews of Deftones, the sound they make is absolutly unique and cannot be compared to any other band. The only real comparison with this album to make are the ones to other previous albums made by them. Basicly, White Pony is more toned down in places and more thought has been made in the general mood of the sound and they've come out with a more tuneful record. The Album is recommended to those who enjoy rock in general, but especially the people who enjoy alternative, metal bands. Songs that are standouts in the record are Change (In The House Of Flies), Passenger (featuring Maynard James Keenan from Tool), Back To School and Knife Party. // 8

White Pony Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2004

Sound: This is probably the best Deftones album. It is a mix of heavy, aggressive themes and softer more mature ones too. It aint as heavy as Around the Fur but is more proggressive. There are still heavy as songs like Korea but even that goes softer and prog in parts. Everything sounds perfect and is not overdone at all. // 10

Lyrics: Chino isn't known for making perfect sense and you have to build your own impression of what he is going on about. Having said that the lyrics are excellent and he makes his own style of structure and singing. If you want pop-structured lyrics like Linkin Park you will probably be put off. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said this is the best deftones album and it shows that you don't need great skill to make good music. Best song is The Boys Republic which is amazing but only comes on the Limited edition. I can't complain about this CD and I would definitly buy it again if I lost it. // 10

White Pony Reviewed by: fattymcfat97, on march 05, 2005

Sound: White Pony I think was a evolution in Deftones it was very experimental but it still stayed on the core and basis of heavy metal/alternative rock. Every song on this is entirely different: you start out with the rap metal intro Back To School (Mini Maggot) and then you come to the relaxing deep Digital Bath. After this emotional ride you come to Elite the crunchy metal screaming kind of Deftones that Deftones fans still love to hear. Among these songs one of my favorites is Korea which goes deep down to what happens on the streets during the night. Passenger one of the very last songs which has guest appearance by Manard the lead singer of Tool which is a melodic roalercoaster ride. Though I only mentioned some songs theres a lot more to explore. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album like any other Deftones are totally based on analogy. So basically if you read the lyrics their hard to understand at first but eventually when you put all the lyrics together you'll understand. This band is very good at blending music with lyrics and I really understood what Chino (the lead singer) was saying. When it comes to skills Chino is nothing less than amazing goign from melodic singing to heavy screeming. // 10

Overall Impression: This album in my opinon isn't my favorite Deftones album but it is different and worth the $14.00's. // 8

White Pony Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2005

Sound: This is the Deftones 3rd album. I have only listened to this one and their self titled album from the tones. These guys really have a unique sound, and in my opininon no one else sounds like them. Deftones can be prety heavy when they want to, but this time around its more mellow. The two heavier songs on here are Korea and Elite. All of the songs are very good on it. This has more effects than their other albums. The album kind of reminds me of a modern day Dark Side Of The Moon. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics I thought were good and well thought out. Each song has its own meaning and it has different interpretations. The lyrics to some may sound a little twisted but they are good and they will grow on you. Chino's voice is kinda like you like it or you hate it. He kind of whispers and moans and every now and then does some sdreaming. Lyrics and vocals are both good on White Pony. // 10

Overall Impression: For modern metal and hard rock these guys are great. They really bring something different to the table and they show what they are capable in terms of creativeness and originality. They may not be the most talented musicians out there but they can rock. The best songs are: Knife Party, Digital Bath, Korea, Change, and Back To School (Mini Maggot). There isn't much to hate on this album unless you don't like them. If it were stolen or lost I would go out and buy it again but before I would do that I would check out the other Deftones albums first. // 8

White Pony Reviewed by: las7, on october 15, 2005

Sound: A very polished effort from the Dtones, I think it was the first album that officially the DJ is a part of the band and he truly gives this album its atmospheric fill. You can feel all the different things that inspire the Dtones in this album. Every single song is produced beyond what was thought possible as the Dtones truly have outdone themselves on this masterwork. It has a laid back vibe which is shattered by the defacing guitar rifts, songs like Change, Passenger and DB are gems in modern alternative metal music. Chino's voice is a molting point of emotion. The drumming is up to par the CD is a bit overproduced but as a whole this doesn't change the fact that this is the most emotional and atmospheric Dtones album to date. We have the classic Dtones sound metamorphed with much more turn table work. This album is best categorized as one of the best work of artist from the so called 'nu-metal' era. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are a sure strong point as Chino is able to say so many things to so many different people. It is mostly metaphoric since most lyrics could be understood in more then one way. As usual the subjects are really all over the place love, hate, change, past, present, future it's all mixed with the plague of modern society. Innocence seems to be lost but Chino tries to gain it back threw the provoking lyrics of the album. Far as vocals are concerned you can find all the abilities of Chino vocal wise in this disc, how ever you look at it at seems that White Pony is the evident record of Chino's vocal abilities. // 10

Overall Impression: There are basically no weak tracks as far as I'm concerned it is an epically atmospheric record. It is a showcase of what the Dtones does best intelligent music with a twist. Every single member of the group has contributed a lot in this CD. The Rifts provide atmosphere as well as are the instrument of destruction for the atmosphere they created. The epic Mini-Maggot seems to provide the melancholy look back towards the years of innocence, this record is truly one of the best albums in the last decade and if one copy of it was stolen(I have more then one) it would still be a huge lose. I will probably set a bounty on the thief's head. // 10

White Pony Reviewed by: breakdancer4jah, on february 14, 2006

Sound: Deftones are a very skilled band, with a unique style. Most alternative music of today is easy sorted in to some short of sub-genre. But Deftones has there own genre, and the only band that really even comes close is Tool. The Deftones are hard rockers, and their singer is truly gifted. Some of the highs he gets on the break down of "Knife Party" of this album are insane! The guitars on this CD are very heavy, but have enough highs to keep them from blending too much with the bass. The drummer is great at playing unique riffs that you wouldn't expect, and that are surprisingly difficult to remake. For something finally different, or if you are a tool fan, look in to Deftones, and look in to Pony. // 9

Lyrics: The singer is amazing. He has a huge range, from lows to bitting highs. Their lyrics are mysterious, right along with their music. There is surprisingly little cursing, if any. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite CDs. That is saying alot, because this kind of music does not traditionally fit my style. But the Deftones captivate me everytime I listen. This CD is always on hand for me. I love "Knife Party" for it's vocal break down, "Digital Bath" for it's drums and "Mini Maggot" for a great name (the song is also a catchy, yet roaring song). This is a wonderful CD, I would keep buying it no matter how many times it was stolen. // 10

White Pony Reviewed by: roarinflames, on january 28, 2008

Sound: The Deftones have been known to have their own unique sound, which is quite evident in this album. Their style usually doesnt't stray too far from the hard/alternative rock genre. This record, however, has so many different genre elements in it's creation that it literally covers all ground. Melodic, metal, alternative, grunge, progressive, and ambient. This album is a masterpiece! I listen to a broad spectrum of genres and artists, but this album may be one of the most amazing albums I have ever come across. The music will go from upbeat to mellow and soft to thrash to an ambient setting and then into progressive. It's like a dream that seems to meld together. // 10

Lyrics: To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure of the lyrical content. It's very poetic but difficult to understand. Although the singer may not have the greatest range, his voice is extremely soothing, which tends to make this album more dreamlike. There is a guest appearance by Maynard James Keenan of Tool on the track Passenger. The duet performance on that song is amazing. You can truly feel the connection between the two vocalists, especially with the vocal power of MJK. The vocals tend to be different on each track, but still retain that soothing character, even during the heavier songs. // 9

Overall Impression: This album cannot possibly compared to other albums, nor should the band be compared to other artists. The Deftones have definetly created their style with this album, which surprisingly, is to not have a specific style at all. There isn't a single song on this album that I wouldn't listen to. Every song is amazing, this album is amazing! I was not really a fan of the Deftones when I bought this album. If this were stolen, I hope the thief enjoys the album, I'll just go buy another copy. This may be the greatest album I have ever listened to! // 10

More Deftones reviews rating latest review
+ Koi No Yokan 8.7 01/24/2013