Legion Review

8.7
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Legion Reviewed by: col50, on january 19, 2011

Sound: Deicide's 1992 album "Legion" is an essential in early death metal albums. Early complex, death metal riffs complement the album well creating an overall powerful sound filled with extreme riffage and pounding drums. Steve Asheim's drumming in this album is technical and well ahead of its time. The Hoffman brothers (guitars) add an excellent element of technical riffs and tremolo picking to the sound. The raw and brutal riffs in this album are innovative and contributed well to early death metal. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics as same as usual for Deicide: Anti-Christian and Satanic. The lyrics contribute well to the heavy atmosphere of the album and depicts hatred towards religion and Christianity such as: "Brain dead victims of the holy, preach your holy lies, laugh at divinations and we all will be dead, inscripted is you who will die". Glen Benton's vocals range from gutturals to higher vocals. Glen's vocals aren't as low as more recent albums (The Stench of Redemption) however his vocals still sound powerful and raw. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall raw and brutal sound of this album makes it arguably the best Deicide album. Some of Deicide's latter albums such as "Til Death do us part" lack the riffs, rawness, power and creativity of their early albums. Some of the most impressive songs off Legion are "Satan Spawn, the Caco-deamon", "Trifixion" and "Behead the Prophet". What I like most about the album are the intense riffs and technical drumming. If I would lose this album I would buy (or order) another one. // 9

More Deicide reviews rating latest review
+ In The Minds Of Evil 6.5 11/29/2013