Serpents Of The Light Review

deicide: Serpents Of The Light
Released: Oct 21, 1997
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Roadrunner Records
"Serpents Of The Light" is the fourth full-length album by the American death metal band Deicide.
 7.5
 8.2
 6.8
Serpents Of The Light Reviewed by: ShredHead396, on december 07, 2009

Sound: Well, Deicide obviously went to an effort to make this a very kickass record in terms of greatness, the guitars have a distinct tone on this record so that you can actually tell who it is, also, the music is very together and obviously thought out, with titles such as Serpents Of The Light and Slave To The Cross, you can tell they didn't half ass it on this one. Not to much to say about how the CD was made but taken from wikipedia in an interview with Glenn "I wrote "Serpents of the Light" about a friend of mine that died." What I actually want to talk a bit about is the tone of the guitars and the drumming, the guitar tone of this album has a distinct 'drrrrrrrrr' sound so it, kind of like a brutal drill, drilling your head at 200 beats per minute, and sound's a lot different from their later releases so as soon as someone puts on one of the tracks you can tell, '' oh hey that's from serpents isn't it? '' The drumming isn't to complicated which in my opinion is a great thing as you don't feel that you have a great mess of sound being thrown at you, it is clean and well thought out and makes for an awesome, brutal experience. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are Satanic and religious ridden, with tracks like Blame It On God, Bastard Of Christ and This Is Hell Were In. I'd like to point out that Glenns voice blends very well with the music, as in to say that the rhythms of the guitar and drums match the tempo of Glenns voice which makes it easier to follow. Glenn is, to my suprise not to hard to understand on this record, he has the death metal growl happening, and has it well I might add, but if you listen you can still understand what he is rambling about. // 8

Overall Impression: This to my knowledge does not compare to any other artists but perhaps because I think Deicide is a very distinct band and when you here them you can tell it is them. The best songs from this album, in my opinion of course are Slave To The Cross, I Am No One, Blame It On God and This Is Hell Were In. If this was stolen or lost I would get it off the net because I did not purchase it in CD form. To wrap things up, this is a great but not to great album to be honest, the solos could have been a lot better but could also be a lot worse so that is that. If you have the spare cash I definitely condone picking up a copy. // 6

Serpents Of The Light Reviewed by: mylanta2837, on january 08, 2013

Sound: The first thing that I noticed when I checked out this album was that it sounded quite different from the first three albums. It has a much more crisp and clear sound (which some fans might not like, but I personally thought it gave it some character). I never once had trouble making out the guitar riffs as I did at times in the previous albums. Aside from the sound quality itself, the riffs were as brutal as ever. Not only do they tear your face off, but they're memorable and actually kind of catchy. The drumming is as good as ever too, and you can make out every hit of the bass drum (which I always love). Not quite like the originals, but that's not a bad thing in this case. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album aren't necessarily anything new and deals with religion in a hateful fashion, but what else can honestly expect from a band like Deicide, where the very name means the killing of a god? You would think that after three albums of nearly pure blasphemy that it might get a little played out, but they somehow make it work. Not only do the lyrics really take a swing at religion, but the vocals convey pure anger. And unlike any other Deicide album I've heard, I can easily make out every word that Glen Benton is saying. However, this does not mean that they are any less powerful. My personal favorite vocal performance from Benton. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album gets a really bad reputation. Sure, it doesn't quite match the magic of the first couple albums, but when does that ever happen? Serpents of the Light manages to preserve Deicide's roots, but also brings something new and stands out from the other albums. If you haven't heard this album, go into with an open mind. Don't expect another "Legion", but don't go into it thinking it's going to suck. My personal favorites off this album are "Bastard Of Christ", "Blame It On God", and the "Truth Above". If this album were stolen or lost, I would definitely replace it. It's refined, yet still heavy as brutal death metal should be.

// 9

More Deicide reviews rating latest review
+ In The Minds Of Evil 6.5 11/29/2013