The Stench Of Redemption Review

deicide: The Stench Of Redemption
Release Date: Aug 22, 2006
Label: Earache
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
Despite the lineup juggle, Deicide's trademark extreme metal sound has remained intact, as evidenced throughout The Stench Of Redemption.
 8.7
 9.3
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
The Stench Of Redemption Reviewed by: mrfrosty666, on march 08, 2007

Sound: Straight from the first track, 'The Stench Of Redemption', you can tell Deicide have not held back. The sound is brutal yet melodic, and the solo sections fuse perfectly with the death metal vocals and riffs. Some of the solos, like 'Death To Jesus' and 'Homage For Satan' are almost perfect. As far as death metal goes, it's insanely catchy and some of the choruses, like 'Crucified For The Innocence', will stick in your head for hours. The blast beats are just as you'd expect them to be: fast, topping off the death metal sound. // 9

Lyrics: If your name is Satan, you will love the lyrics, it's the usual Deicide anti-christ, God hating stuff. However, some of the lyrics are catchy, "Mutilation, hail to Satan, died to save us, death to Jesus!" and will have even a vicar shouting it during church service (or maybe not). Glen Benton's vocals are some of the finest death metal vocals around, you can understand most of the lyrics (well more than you would with some bands) and the chilling screams along with the low growls fit perfectly for a heavy sound. // 8

Overall Impression: Deicide aren't my favourite death metal band, but they obviously have something with this album. The solos are immense and some of the riffs are instant favourites. The crushing vocals paired with the mental drums, as well as the clean riffs in 'The Lord's Sedition' round it off as one of the best death metal albums I own. It is well balanced all round, melodic solos, brutal riffage, satanic lyrics and clean guitar, if you don't own this you should by it now. On the other hand, the bass is barely loud enough to hear, and a few bass solos hear and there wouldn't go amiss. I would definitely by this album again and again, it's got to be in my top ten albums. If you're into metal/death metal I'd definitely recommend it, but it might not be technical enough for some people out there, but it's not exactly simple. The only reason you wouldn't buy this is if you were Jesus himself. // 9

More Deicide reviews rating latest review
+ In The Minds Of Evil 6.5 11/29/2013