Summer of Darkness Review

artist: demon hunter date: 09/13/2005 category: compact discs
demon hunter: Summer of Darkness
Released: May 4, 2004
Genre: Rock
Summer of Darkness isn't perfect; some of the tunes are excellent, while others are merely decent.
 9.3
 9.5
Summer of Darkness Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2005

Sound: The album has been very well produced. It has such a raw edge, and everything just stands out. The only problem I would say if the bass is not loud enough. The hardcore drums back up the driven guitar, giving Demon Hunter such a powerful and aggressive sound, but if they want to get more intimate, they can. // 8

Lyrics: Ryan can really write lyrics. For a Christian band, the lyrics are quite dark, but so passionate. The lyrics that stand out are "Not Ready To Die," "Coffin Builder" and "My Heartstrings Come Undone" definetly a worthy 5. // 10

Overall Impression: Demon Hunter have an incredible album here. Summer Of Darkness is without a doubt, one of the top albums in the Christian hardcore scene. Here's the low down on the songs: 01. Not Ready To Die - the intro the album, and it gives such a powerful introduction, kicking in with such a hardcore riff, and then for the chorus, breaking it down 5/5. 02. The Awakening - not a bad tune, but perhaps a little boring after a while. Powerful chorus, with brilliant singing 3/5. 03. Beheaded - probably the thrashiest of songs on the album. The doube bass in the chorus adds such aggression to the song. A stand out song on the album 5/5. 04. My Heartstrings Come Undone - there's no screaming in this song, but it really is remarkable. Powerful lyrics, and Ryan really lets it out with his singing here 5/5. 05. Our Faces Fall Apart - superb song, with such a change of pace. The chorus is produced really well. This is probably the least metal chorus in the whole album 4/5. 06. Less Than Nothing - a favourite of mine. Great intro riff, kicks into a powerful verse, and a melodic chorus. Obvious 5.5/5. 07. Summer Of Darkness - perhaps a weaker verse, but with a more powerful chorus. Ryan really lets the vocals stand out in this chorus. Not a bad riff in it either 3.5/5. 08. Beauty Through The Eyes Of A Predator - it's an ok song, but I don't feel it's a stand out song. Give it a 3.3/5. 09. Annihilate The Corrupt - the verse sounds too much like "Beauty Through The Eyes Of A Predator" but there's a great use of effects on Ryan's vocals in the chorus. Another 3.3/5. 10. I Play Dead - another mellow song, without much screaming. Brilliant, catchy chorus, stand out song 5.5/5. 11. Everything Was White - straight up, in your face metal. Doesn't quite compete as a top song on the album, but it's a superb song 4/5. 12. Coffin Builder - we've got Trevor from TFK, doing a bit here. Awesome song, brilliant use of vocals and guitar 5/5. 13. The Latest And The Last - an incredible way to finish the album, with a quick chorus and brilliant lyrics 5/5. Overall, a superb listen and a brilliant hardcore album. Worthy of a purchase. I wouldn't buy it again if someone knicked it, as I would be smart enough to of burnt a copy on my computer. // 10

Summer of Darkness Reviewed by: twocenttip, on june 14, 2004

Sound: You've probably heard me rave about this nu-metal band from seattle's own Solid State records. Their S/T debut was amazing - now hear the comeback. Featuring guest appearances like Mike from The Agony Scene, Trevor from TFK, 36 Crazyfists, and Killswitch Engage, this album is bound to please. Amazing drums, heavy guitars, laced by the vocalist(s') growling moans to primal screams make this a must have for any metal fan. And hey, if you're underage, this album lacks the 'Parental Advisory' sticker! WooHoo! // 8

Lyrics: Excellent. Enigmatic, but still makes a point. Excellent vocal range. Aaron can growl like an animal for three verses and come back and croon with the best of 'em. Awesome stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: Sounds like, well, nothing comes close to the masterminds of DH. 'Not Ready to Die', 'Beheaded', 'Annihilate the Corrupt', heck, every song is amazing! The only thing it lacks is a solid bass line. I can't ever hear the bass. Crap. If it were stolen lost, I would go back and buy three. Excellent exspenditure. Awesome album. // 10

Summer of Darkness Reviewed by: Staind 14, on december 13, 2004

Sound: Now that I have actually taken the time to sit down and pay close attention to the sophomore effort of this solid state metalcore band, I've noticed a whole lot more strengths and less weaknesses than I did, say, about a month ago. Everything about this album is awesome. Every song is amazing, powered by Ryan Clark's amazing vocal range and Jesse Sprinkle's metallic onslaught of skilled drumming. The guitars in here are awesome, too; both Don Clark and the other dude (Chris McCleddon or something like that) are skilled, yet their songs are simple enough to sit down and figure out. And when you do start playing them, it sounds awesome. // 8

Lyrics: Couldn't be better. A little cryptic and enigmatic, possessing the atypical brutality of metal bands, but still delivering a powerful, thought-provoking message. Lyrics-wise, Coffin Builder, Less Than Nothing and Not Ready To Die are the best. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression? Let's just say that this album hasn't left my cd player yet. The songs nly get old if you listen to them six times in a row each. Like Fabio here said, I can't hear the bass either. But this is still an album worth having to every degree. // 10

Summer of Darkness Reviewed by: binjinpurj, on april 09, 2005

Sound: The sound and energy that Demon Hunter puts out is amazing. There are only two weaknesses that I can find in the album. The first being that the bass line simply cannot be heard. Secondly, the songs seem to become repetitive during the middle of the CD, but then quickly pick back up. The nu-metal band portrays huge amounts of power in each song and it blows me away how Ryan Clark can go from screaming like a banshee to being totally melodic. There isn't a single point in the CD that you stop banging your head, I guarantee it. // 10

Lyrics: Personally, a band isn't worth listening to if their lyrics don't make you think. "...so you can chant your anthems to the deaf, And we can sit here and cry until there's nothing left..." The material is greatly throught provoking. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Clark has great vocal abilities. He sounds like a dying demon during verses, and extremely clean and melodic during choruses. // 10

Overall Impression: DH is an amazing band. The album, since I bought it about two months ago, hasn't left my CD player. A few of my favorite songs from the album are 'Not Ready to Die,' 'My Heartstrings Come Undone,' and 'The Latest and the Last.' And for the first time in a long time, a metal band doesn't have a Parental Advisory sticker slapped on it. Simply put, DH: Summer Of Darkness is an excellent album. If it's not in your disc line-up, why the hell not? // 10

More Demon Hunter reviews rating latest review