The Triptych Review

demon hunter: The Triptych
Release Date: Oct 25, 2005
Label: Solid State
Genres: Alternative Metal
This album destroys any of the so-so metal albums that have came out thus far in the year. It is brutal, yet has a couple of amazing ballad type songs.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.5
 9.3
 9.7
The Triptych Reviewed by: twocenttip, on october 27, 2005

Sound: Hybrid metal at its best, people. Demon Hunter are back with their third studio release, The Triptych. DH brings back many of the styles made on their firts self-titled album, mixes it with elements from Summer Of Darkness and adds a little more metal to the mix and gives us The Third War. The switch of drummers is evident, Jesse Sprinkle is no longer their drummer, Yogi is. He has his own style, more death metal. He employs more steady double bass than Jesse did, and less soloing. Good. The guitars have gotten much more technical while maintaining their excellent simplicity. Is that a solo I hear? I do believe so, good. Bass is actually heard on this album, something not usual for DH. The vox are better than ever, better singing and the same good 'ol growls from Ryan. // 8

Lyrics: Excellent. Not as deep as before, but still very contemplative, angry, spitting and violent. Some songs lighten up a bit, some bite your head off. All are good. Ryan's singing has finally hit its pinacle I think. And his growling screams are better than ever. // 9

Overall Impression: Excellent. I'm buying all 3 covers (painted by Daniel Seagrave) and the DVD, 'Waging The Third War'. Worth your time whether you like metal or not. You should just own it to say you own a cd by a band named 'Demon Hunter'. I mean that in and of itself is cool. // 9

The Triptych Reviewed by: Majin Gaara, on april 27, 2006

Sound: This is honestly my favorite album of all times. I listen to it everyday and the sound is so beatiful. The cool thing is in this album, Demon Hunter mixes slow leads with heavy songs or just plain soft mellow with heavy and crushing. The album starts off heavy with not I to undying and it gets heavy. The guitars are very nicely done with riff wise. The leads are simply beatiful yet simple. The 2 solos which are the one in soldiers song and fire to my soul are simply amazing yet so simplistic. Demon Hunter does its best on this album. I love also how demon hunter stays with one main tunning basically on this record instead of switching out every song like their old records. Overall the melody of things and the hybrid mix of metal is the best their is in my opinion. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the most amazing ever on this record. Ryan has such an amazing voice growling, screaming and singing. The words he chooses for some of the songs are just amazing! You'd have to actually listen to it and understand what he is talking about. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far Demon Hunter's best album they have ever made. The best songs are Soldiers Song and Undying becuase they express such emotion in them as do almost all of the songs. There is nothing I do not like about this album at all and I definatly would buy this album again! // 10

The Triptych Reviewed by: dandesmond, on may 03, 2006

Sound: Demon Hunter return with what they proclaim to be their best record yet, and from the looks of it, frontman Ryan Clarke is not lying. "The Triptych" is a brilliant return from one of the top Christian metal bands. This time, Demon Hunter have knocked the brutal kick down a notch and produced a more melodic album with some pure aggression. The music has been well produced. Solid State records bands seem to do a good job to the production. Superb. // 9

Lyrics: First of all, Ryan Clarke has got a very unique voice. His growls are very powerful and he is one of the screamers who has an incredible singing voice to back this up. Perhaps even, one of the best today. Ryan Clarke has always had interesting lyrics for a Christian artist, and they are definetly not different here. He talks about issues within Christianity with the dark, metal edge around it. Perhaps not as up to scratch as "Summer Of Darkness" but some still mighty fine lyrics on here. Lyrics to stand out are "Undying," "The Soldier Song" and "Deteriorate" // 9

Overall Impression: 01. The Flames That Guide Us Home/Not I - beautiful intro to start out the CD, which goes into the brutal Not I, which Demon Hunter have not started a CD so powerfully. Brilliant lyrics, brilliant vocal work. 02. Undying - the first single from the album, with the thought of being reborn through Christ. Powerful song, incredibly catchy chorus. 03. Relentless Intolerance - another good song. One of the slower "heavy songs" on the album. Nice chorus too. Not too bad. 04. Deteriorate - the first of the three "mellow" songs on the album. Very powerful singing, although it is perhaps a little long. 05. The Soldier's Song - one of the weaker songs on the album. It is a tribute to the soldier's who fight for us, so the reason is good enough. 06. Fire To My Soul - the aggression is truly in this song. Brutal music, superb chorus. 07. One Thousand Apologies - the radio friendly tune. Brilliantly sung by Ryan Clarke and very catchy chorus. The growling section is excellent. 08. Science Of Lies - in my mind, the most unique guitar riff on the album, which seems as if it shouldn't fit, but actually fits wonderfully. Nice chorus with huge amounts of double bass pedal work in the chorus. Grand. 09. Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck - a cover. Quite nicely done too. Fully growled throughout, and very brutal. 10. Ribcage - most definetly the scariest title. Good use of vocal work, not bad guitar playing. 11. The Tide Began To Rise - beautiful song. Very unique to the style of Demon Hunter. Acoustic, piano, beautiful way to finish the album. Overall, one of the best album's in 2005. Demon Hunter are able to stick to their word, proclaiming they can make the best album's of their career and the most emotional songs. Recommended songs for download are "Not I," "Undying" and "The Tide Began To Rise." // 10

The Triptych Reviewed by: curly2092, on november 19, 2005

Sound: I believe this is Demon Hunters best album yet. although I haven't heard every song. Every song I have heard has been awesome. Their vocalists have done a great job with this album! And the few lighter songs really compliment the rest of the songs. I always say you can really tell a good band by if they can do soft songs and hard songs, and make both kickass! // 9

Lyrics: The first albums lyrics were ok. The second album they seemed to be getting darker but you could still see that they have some faith. But man o man, this new album has some great lyrics/meanings. On their site there's a section where you can see song meanings. This shows that they are really trying to put God back in their music. When you put God in your life things tend to go good for you. // 10

Overall Impression: I still think Demon Hunter is the best Christian rock band there is. I really wanna pick this album up when I get a chance. This album is too good to steal. // 8

The Triptych Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 12, 2007

Sound: The Peavey amps that the two guitarists use have got to have the heaviest sound to them I have ever heard. This is the kind of semi-death metal band that you would put into a West Side story type movie. When you listen to this, you feel like breaking something or beating someone up because of the skull crushing heaviness.The only thing they could have done was mixed the bass in with a little more volume. // 10

Lyrics: Ryan Clark is an amazing singer and if he wants to do something in a song one way or another, then that's how he will do it. He is amazing at combining the death metal growl, which is one of the best by the way, with a normal vocal style that is serene but still pushes the peace envelope closer to the edge.I don't find any christian messages here but there should be. My favorite song lyrically is Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck. // 10

Overall Impression: If you have not yet purchased this CD, go out and get the special edition of it immediately because then you will get CD and DVD with all kinds of extra stuff. Not I, SYFSYN, and Relentless Intolerance have got to be my favs on this album. Another general good thing about DH is that their songs aren't short so you can enjoy them longer and therefore have more fun! I would buy this for a metalhead of any kind. There is nothing to dislike here. // 10

The Triptych Reviewed by: rockforjesus703, on july 30, 2007

Sound: I'm very impressed with Demon Hunter's shouting/screaming verses and beautiful, melodious choruses. The guitars are crushing, the drums pound deep inside your soul, the vocals shred your ears to little bits, and the beautiful choruses catch your heart and soul and hold them. The main vocals are leaning a little more toward shouting than screaming-but they're good nonetheless, and the singing parts are beautiful and no matter whether you're a good singer or not, you will want to sing along. // 9

Lyrics: Demon Hunter is a Christian band, so quite a few of their songs refer to God and Christ Jesus. The songs that aren't are touching, and a lot of them apply to my life. If you're looking for a song about heaven, listen to the song "Undying", which talks about how whoever believes in God and Jesus Christ is "undying" in a sense-they go to heaven and can never, ever die after that. Otherwise, every single song will touch you with their lyrics in some way or another, whether they apply to your life or not. // 10

Overall Impression: Demon Hunter is my favorite band. Previously, I had been a fan of Slipknot for about 2 years-then when I heard Demon Hunter's positive lyrics, soul-touching melodies, and crushing rythms, I fell in love with them from the start. Slipknot is still a favorite of mine, but I like how much more positive Demon Hunter is, along with the overall sound I like better. If you are fan of Slipknot, Mudvayne, Sevendust, or Metallica, I highly recommend this band. My favorite songs off of The Triptych are all of them; though "Relentless Intolerance" would have to be my least favorite. Otherwise, all of the other songs are my favorites. I highly, highly recommend the song "One Thousand Apologies", where any Demon Hunter fan would agree that that song is some of Demon Hunter's best work ever. What I love about this album is that, in my humble opinion, it is so much better than the previous album, "Summer of Darkness". I didn't like every single song off of that one than I did "The Triptych". If I lost this album or it was stolen, I would, no matter where I was or what I was doing, freak out and then go buy another one at the nearest store. I would not give this album up for anything. // 10

The Triptych Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2008

Sound: Demon Hunter is one of the few bands out there who can have both blood-pumping hardcore songs and soothing, calm ballads, and still be one of the best bands of the day and age. For example, the song "the Science Of Lies" or "Fire To My Soul" is incredibly heavy, yet the song "The Tide Began To Rise" is the type of song I can imagine being in a chick flick or drama etc. Next to Underoath, Demon Hunter is possibly the most diverse band out there. // 10

Lyrics: Ryan Clarke is a phenominal vocalist. He is one of the few people who can both growl/scream and true sing and be brilliant at both. Also, the songs that dealt mostly with inner depression or sorrow etc were soft ballads, while the more "in your face" lyrics were accompanied by harsh music. The lyrics themselves were amazing. "Undying" had the impression of someone having life over death, eg "I know what lies beyond this life for me is already won. No one can take away the blood that covers over my fall. Without the blood of perfect life I know I'm nothing at all, so now I reign forever hallowed in eternity's hand. No man can shake me from the everlasting ground that I stand". Also, "the Science of Lies" bashes scientology, and "Ribcage" talks about drugs. // 10

Overall Impression: If pressed, I'd compare it to Underoath in their later years. I can't really say I hate anything in the entire aqlbum, and I love everything. If it were lost or stolen, that'd be good, becauseI have it on my MP3 and the more people have it, the better. // 9

The Triptych Reviewed by: metalchristian, on april 24, 2008

Sound: Demon Hunter's third album "The Triptych" Triptych centers around the concept of three. My impression is that the band went into the studio with the attitude of wanting to do some more melody than they did in 'Demon Hunter' or 'Summer of Darkness' Demon Hunter took on some more Killswitch Engage influences in the album, as seen in 'Follow the Wolves' and 'Lead us Home' My personal favorite on the album is 1000 apologies. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were Christian, kind of more dark, but softer at the same time, They dealt a lot with death and pain 'Then I hurt myself to see it too, to feel the knife I put in you' In 1000 apologies, Ryan is realizing how he did something horrible, and now he can never take it back, no matter how sorry he is. // 9

Overall Impression: 'The Triptych' compares quite nicely to the bands other albums, it's got its more hard-core side and it's softer side. The best songs are easily, Lead Us Home, Follow The Wolves, 1000 Apologies. It's an awesome album, and I would definitely recommend it to any new Demon Hunter fan. // 9

More Demon Hunter reviews rating latest review