True Defiance Review

Genre: Metalcore, Alternative Metal, Groove Metal
Label: Solid State Records
review (1) 23 comments vote for this album:
True Defiance Reviewed by: demonhunter2211, on june 29, 2012

Sound: While maintaining Demon Hunter's signature and incredibly unique take on the metalcore scene, "True Defiance" truly stands out as one of their best record thus far. When I found out that the album was being mixed by Jason Suecof (Trivium, All That Remains, August Burns Red), I knew that the album was going to sound amazing. Everything just fits together perfectly, even the garage band-like recording in the first few seconds of the opening track "Crucifix". Demon Hunter blends in the best of their influences on "True Defiance", being that of hardcore, groove metal, thrash, and dark balladry. "We Don't Care" displays their obvious influences of hardcore by using a two-step riff for the intro and then using the same riff as a outro breakdown. Wake uses their obvious groove metal influence as you can tell there's a bit of Pantera in there. The beautiful song "Dead Flowers" offers arguably their best ballad thus far, with an incredibly catchy chorus. The stand-out track "God Forsaken" (and my personal favorite) has such a amazing chorus, you'll find yourself singing along with it every time you hear it, and then it closes out with a filthy deceiving breakdown. "Someone To Hate" throws this record off balance, however, as it's triplet chugging and tremolo picking throughout the entire song give it Demon Hunter's most weird, out of place, and heaviest song to date. // 9

Lyrics: Demon Hunter obvious uses Christian lyrics on "True Defiance", as they have in all of their previous records. The songs "Crucifix" and "God Forsaken" should have been blatantly obvious as to what type of lyrics to expect if you've never listened to the band before. Ryan Clark's vocals are magnificent once again as his clean vocals have perfect tone and his talk-screams add the right element of aggression that Demon Hunter was trying to go for on "True Defiance". // 8

Overall Impression: As I have yet to hear another band that sounds like Demon Hunter, it's hard to find anyone that sounds just like them, especially on "True Defiance". People that are new to Demon Hunter will find "God Forsaken" and "Dead Flowers" especially pleasing, and more 'core listeners will dig "We Don't Care" and "This I Know". Although solos are quite frequent on this album, Demon Hunter shows that you don't have to be shreddy to be metal and you don't need to have a breakdown in every song to be heavy. The only thing I don't love about this album, is "Someone To Hate". Don't get me wrong, it's a great song, but it just throws the record off balance and doesn't really fit well. It would have been great as a bonus track. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would no doubt buy another copy. // 9

More Demon Hunter reviews rating latest review