Violator Review

depeche mode: Violator
Released: Mar 19, 1990
Genre: Synthpop
Label: Mute
This album is as dark as it can get. Most of it is played on synthesizers, that sound perfect. Every song is impressive, the album is one piece, from the beginning till the end.
 9.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Violator Reviewed by: gabipe15, on november 26, 2012

Sound: This album is as dark as it can get. Most of it is played on synthesizers, that sound perfect. This music style is hard to define, I'd call it dark, synthdark, definitely not pop, you can't call this piece pop. If you ever listened to it, lights off, maybe some whiskey on the rocks, at night, this album can get scary, it is strange, I mean it. And don't get me wrong, I mostly listen metal, death metal, doom metal, but this one is a masterpiece. Don't be mistaken and judge it by "Depeche Mode", it is a top class record. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this album stands out, I mean it. Starts pulling you into a trip, maybe a drug trip, inviting you to the "sweetest perfection", then getting you to pray to your personal Jesus, "someone who cares", magical lyrics there. Next step is getting down, when everything falls, when the night comes, like some kind of ritual, with fear coming to you, fear of the dark, but felling safe there, cause you're invisible, and silence is made, enjoy the silence. Master storytelling. Then you get to pay the price, for what you've done before, for not listening, and just realize how beautiful can simple things be, everyday things, everyday life, clean life, Become clean! It's a life trip, a drug trip, a lesson trip, an addict story, maybe a fearsome man story, anyways a great one! This lyrics could be around the best I've heard in a record, listening from start to finish. // 10

Overall Impression: I couldn't compare this album to anything I've listened before, and certainly neither after. Every song is impressive for me, the album is one piece, from the beginning till the end, its hard to cut songs into one piece, maybe "Enjoy The Silence", "Waiting For The Night", "Personal Jesus" stand up as the greatest ones, but I think the concept of the record makes them so much better. I love the record, I love listening to it at night, before sleeping, maybe while sleeping, scares me a little, don't use drugs, but can't really imagine a trip with this record being heard all the way. If stolen I'd surely buy it instantly again, never miss on this one. // 10

More Depeche Mode reviews rating latest review