Hemorrhage [EP] Review

Genre: Hardcore Punk
Label: Self-released
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Hemorrhage [EP] Reviewed by: hardcore81, on november 28, 2012

Sound: Deranged Youth is a hardcore punk band from New Hampshire. Although they classify themselves as hardcore punk, there are clearly a lot of different influences, some grind, black metal, prog and sludge. You could call them metalcore, but more like how Suicidal Tendencies or Superjoint Ritual are metalcore. No skinny jeans and repetitive breakdowns here. Although the sound quality isn't great, you can hear what they're shooting for. This is their third EP and the sound quality has come quite a long way, but it's still pretty low quality. I haven't heard them play live but I get the feeling they sound much better live. Sound quality aside, this is a p-ssed off record. Only three songs and a shade over five minutes but it doesn't let up. 01. The first song, "Wounded Caged Animal" is well over 300bpm and you almost have a hard time keeping up with it. Some flutters here and there but they keep it tight, all things considered. A minute and a half long and they even managed to fit in a guitar solo. 02. This is followed by "The Darkest Day". The first 2/3 are typical Deranged Youth. The riffs are both driving and melodic and there are even some blast beats thrown in for good measure. However, the last third turns a new page. This is the first time I've heard not only singing but also the entire band playing in a major key. The singing's alright but I liked it nonetheless. 03. The EP wraps up with "Brain Cell". Probably my favorite DY song since I've started listening to them. It's a lot more melodic and sounds more like AFI circa 2000. The tempo keeps up and we hear a lot of almost Hendrix-inspired fills between riffs. This is also the first time we hear the band quiet down. The middle of the song mellows out with clean guitar and vocals that act as the calm before the storm when the song kicks back in. The guitar solo builds and builds until the nearly unintelligible screaming kicks back in and the song climaxes in an almost SYL loss of control. I'd love to hear a better recording of this song. // 7

Lyrics: From what I can understand of the lyrics, which isn't much, this is a very angry band. What with the quality of the recording and the feverish speed the singer is trying to keep up with, it's not always the easiest to pick out lyrics. The band doesn't help us either. Keeping in their tradition, they have someone else write out the lyric sheet after listening to the song once so they words are all quite skewed. My personal favorites taken from their Bandcamp page are "I will never be your Nicholas Cage enema," "I would net the fearless hens above the fancy stew and redefining substitutes when nothing else is true" and "this isthmus runs the sexed up tree that buried me what is and what should never be allowed inside my twee." Needless to say the lyrics are open to interpretation. // 9

Overall Impression: In comparison to their last two EPs, this is by far the best release. The sound quality, although still poor, is far better than before and this band seems to get more and more angry with every recording. I've noticed, and I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but they've seemed to be hating themselves more than the world. The music sounds angrier and the lyrics seem to be intrinsically focused than a lot of other punk bands. I feel the sound and feel this band have deserve a higher quality recording, especially a live one. The recording quality is really the only downside to this record for me. It's a pay-as-you-wish (free if you wish) download on their Bandcamp page, I'd say definitely check it out if it sounds like it's up your alley. // 8

More Deranged Youth reviews rating latest review