I, Lucifer Review

destroy the runner: I, Lucifer
Release Date: Apr 15, 2008
Label: Solid State
Genres: Rock
I, Lucifer sees Destroy the Runner not relying so much on old habits, and in a few years, the album may be looked upon as a stepping stone toward their own original voice.
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
I, Lucifer Reviewed by: ismellfunny13, on august 07, 2008

Sound: My first impression of this album was a total shock (in a good way), and that there sound has totally changed in a good way since metalcore is slowly going away and we didn't need another As I Lay Dying album. I read that they changed singers before there recorded the album so I was anticipating how different they would be and they blew me away with there heaviness but melody at the same time which will bring new fans to the table. The riffs in it were more melodic and some just made me want to play guitar and they have become a lot more creative then 5-7-8 in nearly every song on the "Saints", and the drums well the drummer "Marc Kohlbry" should be proud cause that was the most noticable thing on the album (besides the vocals). Though the drums were good a lot of it shadowed out the guitar and many riffs could't be heard and they lost some grunt they had in songs on there debut album. // 9

Lyrics: Despite them being a "Christian band" it seems like they have added romance and heart break to their lyrics which many people should relate to. Well the vocals were the biggest change in this album with minimum screaming and more clean vocals. Though that will shun away more of the old fans think they have "sold out", it will bring fresh new faces and they will be heard more commercially. // 8

Overall Impression: Destroy The Runner some how remind me of other metalcore acts that have jump from the metalcore bandwagon (Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold) for more commercial success and they deserve all of it considering losing two of there original line up. Personally I like every song on the album but my favourites were A Bag Of Marbles, On Falling Leaf, Isabella's, Crumbs For The Murder (the heaviest song on the album) and A Novel Of War. I really love the clean singing by their new vocalist "Chad Ackerman" and also the drums were outstanding as were many of the guitar riffs, but many were drowned out by the drums and so was the bass which was unnoticeable again. If it were stolen or lost I would most definitely (and so should you) buy this record which has a lot more positives then negatives and this band has talent and they can only go forward. // 9

Comments