Device Review

5.9
 6.5
 5.2
Device Reviewed by: Slayton101, on may 10, 2013

Sound: First off, before you read this review, know that I rate very strictly! I believe that an average album gets a 5, a masterpiece that revolutionizes music gets a 10, and the demo CD that was recorded with wal-mart headset mics gets a 1. Now, to the review: Draiman distanced himself from Disturbed to venture on his own. While he stated the music business was terrible he dove right back into it thanks to Geno Lenardo (the most recent guitarist from the band Filter). This was met with some aggravation from fans in Disturbed, but for the most part, people were just happy that they didn't see the last of Draiman, and recently Draiman stated that Disturbed will come back. I suspect though that Draiman didn't fully agree with everything Disturbed was playing, but I'll cover that later in the review. It's only a theory though, but I wouldn't doubt if it was confirmed by Draiman himself in interviews down the road. The sound Device focuses on is a modern rock with an emphasis on synth effects at times. Album was mixed very well, and sound quality doesn't seem to be an issue here at all. I was able to hear everything from bass to vocals extremely well. // 6

Lyrics: Disturbed put out a lot of pro-war (more like pro-soldier messages), but with Device seems Draiman wanted to take a stab at war, and send a message to fans that he doesn't approve of the wars going on. Lyrics for songs like "War Of Lies" and "Out Of Line" really point to this message. Add to that fact that Draiman has Serj Tankian, and Tom Morello playing on the album and you have some pretty solid evidence! Draiman brings his unique voice, a great yell, and a smooth open throat style to Device. While vocal tone is rich and moderately thick, at times his lyrics are incredibly repetitive. The rhyming schemes on a lot of songs are very basic for the most part. Combine that with a vocal line that isn't moving much and you end up with a vocals that get old fast. Draiman sticks with a singing with triplets about half the time, and normally does so when singing at a fast pace. This makes for the repetitive sound that a lot of people complain about. Lyrically, I wasn't impressed. The lyrics are easily accessible in a sense, but also a little too accessible at times. To give you an idea, here is a small sample of lyrics from "Penance": "Can you make the nightmares go away? Can you pull the demon from inside?". To my dismay, this is pretty noticeable throughout the entire album, and rarely breaks from this basic simplicity. There are rarely any sort of analogies or synonyms that allow you to gain perspective on Draiman's emotional state of mind. // 5

Overall Impression: There is a lot of energy in some of the songs, but the energy doesn't ever really change. It's good music if you're in an energetic mood, like when you're lifting and if so then this will be an album to add to your collection. If you're looking for songs to move you emotionally then be warned that the album is pretty simple, and should be listened to when you're in the state of mind for some angry rock. Overall, I feel like this album is slightly above average. It has quality to it, but not much depth.

// 6

Device Reviewed by: Potato1029, on may 10, 2013

Sound: Track list breakdown: 1. "You Think You Know" - This song is a decent album opener, but a very typical song for Device. It is nothing outstanding, but a good song. 2. "Penance" - My second favorite track on the album. I think that this song is on par with any of Diturbed's best works. Draiman's vocals are very strong on this song. 3. "Vilify" - The lead single off of this album. This song would probably be a B-side on any Disturbed album. The vocals are typical and get repetitive after listening for more than one chorus. 4. "Close My Eyes Forever" feat. Lzzy Hale - A cover of an Ozzy Osbourne duet. On this track, Draiman has good vocals, but Lzzy brings a new dimension to this song. One of the best songs on the album. 5. "Out Of Line" feat. Serj Tankian - My favorite song on the album. I think that Draiman's vocals are at their peak on this song. The instrumentals are solid, and Serj is great. 6. "Hunted" - While the first five tracks are very solid, the second half of the album is typically just ok. This song is typical Draiman. It sounds kind of like a filler and is good, but not as good as what Device is capable of. 7. "Opinion" feat. Tom Morello - First off, Tom Morello is a great guitarist, one of the best of all time. That said, this song is average. Morello does add some to this track, it is not enough to save it. 8. "War Of Lies" - The worst song on the album. Absolutely boring and uncreative. 9. "Haze" feat. Matt Shadows - One of the only songs in the second half worth listening. M. Shadows really does add a lot to this song. His vocals match perfectly with Draiman's making this an interesting listen. 10. "Through It All" feat. Glen Hughes - An average closer. While it is the longest song, it is not the best, and gets boring after 2 or 3 minutes. // 8

Lyrics: Basically, it's typical Disturbed lyrics. Draiman growls lyrics very much like he does on "Asylum" or "The Sickness", and with very similar vocal patterns at that. However, the vocals get interesting when Device brings in guest vocalists such as Lzzy Hale, Serj Tankian, and Matt Shadows. These vocalists bring some much needed variety to the quite repetitive vocal patterns. Overall, the lyrics on this album are basically Disturbed reincarnated, but the guest vocalists really complement Draiman's vocals and keep the lyrics from getting too repetitive. // 7

Overall Impression: First off this album is very similar to a Disturbed album, so if you don't like Disturbed, you probably won't like this album, minus a few tracks (most notably "Close My Eyes Forever"). This album sounds like a heavier version of "Asylum". The first half of this album is great, but the second half is quite lacking. The guest vocalist really are the ones who keep this album from falling into mediocrity. Draiman's strongest solo songs are "Penance" and "You Think You Know". Besides that, his songs are average at best (namely "Hunted" and "War Of Lies"). My favorite tracks are "Out Of Line", "Penance", "Close My Eyes Forever", and "Haze". Die hard Disturbed fans will probably love this album, but the casual listener will find it weak and repetitive at times. // 7

Comments