Blessed & Cursed Review

devil sold his soul: Blessed & Cursed
Released: Jul 12, 2010
Genre: Post-hardcore, progressive metal, ambient
Label: Century Media Records
This album has been one of my favourite bands this year, mainly due to how original it is and in the overall metal genre.
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
Blessed & Cursed Reviewed by: Xx__benji__xX, on august 10, 2010

Sound: There isn't many bands that can do what Devil Sold His Soul do, and that has to be why they are one of, if not the best UK metal bands on the scene at the minute. 'Blessed and Cursed', Devil Sold His Souls latest release backs this statement up 100%. Originating from a former band called Mahumodo, Devil Sold His Soul have clearly stuck to a formula and a sound that comes natural to them, and Blessed snd Cursed is no different. The Album was released on Century Media Records, 12th July 2010 and included 10 tracks. Devil Sold His Soul's sound is based around an Ambient Post-Hardcore direction, floating between intense riffs to slow ambient sections with lots of layered guitar parts, to a huge roaring chorus with lots of technical bits in between. Compared to the previous EP and album, as you'd expect, the sound quality is much improved a long with the guitar tones, and drum sound. It is clear to hear that the Devil Sold His Soul boys have experimented with the sound of the band, but not strayed away from 'their' sound. // 9

Lyrics: In Devil Sold His Soul's Previous album and EP, I wasn't a huge fan of Ed Gibbs vocal style, but this album, I understand why he fits into the band so well. It's his ability to change the mood of the song with just his vocals. His intense, angry style of screaming is one of the best out their, followed by his very impressive singing range. Some may find his vocals slightly whiny, and maybe a lot boring, but I think this is why his voice fits so well. As far as Lyrics go, I've heard a lot better, but it's Ed Gibbs ability to make what he says, work and believeable, and for me, that is a very important part. A lot of his lyrics talk about failure and death, along with self evaluation. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has been one of my favourite bands this year, mainly due to how original it is and in the overall metal genre, few bands can actually achieve that these days. Some people would compare them to Deftones or a lot of post-hardcore bands out there, but in my opinion, Devil Sold His Soul are in a different league. There are some things I don't like about the album, but there is only 1 or 2 albums I've ever listened to that I wouldn't change. My personnal favourite track of the album has to be 'Frozen', with it's slow emotional start, leading to one of the most intense endings I have ever listened too. I recommend that you get this album, and listen to it carefully, because I fear that their maybe many bands in the near future trying to do what these guys do, just no where near as well. It's well worth a listen. // 9

Blessed & Cursed Reviewed by: sleepwalkerza, on october 14, 2010

Sound: First of off, this is my first review Devil Sold His Soul are one of the first bands that can truly claim themselves as having a sound that is truly unique and their own. After hearing Crane Lake a while back on their My Space I was impressed that they carried on the same direction that they did on A Fragile Hope but wondered why the vocals werent as weaved into the mix like the last album which was something I found strange yet refreshing. After hearing the opening track I sat up and turned my headphones up, This is a band that can only be appreciated while listened through on headphones because everytime you hear the album you can pick up something new and interesting. The whole album has a way of keeping you interested from start to finish. This album truly is worthy of earning the title of innovative. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics although can't be heard for the first time but once you read them and listen again they become very easy to pick out and they are really worth a read. The lyrics are very heartfelt and you can always hear the pain and emotion that Edward Gibbs tries to put across. Ed also has a great way of making his voice blend with overdubs, namely in the one part of Drowning/Sinking where just underneath the scream you hear just a whisper of clean singing that make the section even more pronounced and beautiful. Another thing about Devil Sold His Soul is the boldness to try new things, another great example would be the choir used in Drowning/Sinking that truly brought the track even more to life than already done. Ed truly has a way of creating some truly beautiful melodies with his voice that make him a great vocalist and he never fails to make at least one part of a song stand out and make you want to rewind just to ear that melody. This time with the vocals being mixed more upfront make it a different experience than A Fragile Hope but still you will find yourself lost in the mix nonetheless. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is easily for me the best album to be released this year, other contenders for the album of the year title would be the new as I lay dying as well as the mutiny within album. Its hard for me to nail down one song that truly stands out because every song is unique in its own way and it will be unfair to the rest of the masterpiece that is "Blessed and Cursed" If you are interested in an album that truly is impressive for any fan of heavy music. I am a big fan of straight up metal, old school classic rock and this band is one of my favourites. // 10

More Devil Sold His Soul reviews rating latest review