Darkness Prevails Review

devil sold his soul: Darkness Prevails
Release Date: Aug. 2, 2005
Label: Visible Noise
Genres: Rock
This debut EP takes the cerebral structures of Tool, the fearsome musical muscle of Will Haven and the sweeping emotion of Deftones to create a pummeling, gut-wrenching monster.
 9.1
 8.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Darkness Prevails Reviewed by: MattDaviesFFAF, on june 07, 2006

Sound: This is just immense. Everything about this band. Epic. We were all disappointed when Mahumodo broke up (ok, well I never listened to them before they broke up) but this incredible band have risen from their ashes. They got a new American singer and with him a new darkness that Mahumodo lacked. These amazing songs on this mini-album can range from the blisteringly heavy to ambient with melodic vocals in a second. The guitar work is also excellent, one ear per guitarist, it just works. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, though sparce in some songs, are fricking perfect. Themes are not important, only the quality of each well-chosen word. The most amazing thing about these lyrics are the contrasts between the ones he uses while singing and the lyrics he uses while screaming. The most impressive lyrics can be found on Like It's Your Last (also the best overall song). Especially the line "Wasted thoughts on time lost to broken moments." Killer line, gets me thinking everytime. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I might actually prefer this album to Mahumodo's masterpiece, Waves. The darker texture appeals to me, if should appeal to you too. The most impressive songs are Like It's Your Last, Darkness Prevails and, the instrumental ambient song, LIYL. I love almost everything about this album, and I would go out and buy this album in a second if it was stolen (I've actually already bought a second copy; it was extremely cheap in HMV and the price should shoot up when they get a bit more exposure, which they will). Watch out for these guys, they'll go the distance. // 10

More Devil Sold His Soul reviews rating latest review