DevilDriver Review

devildriver: DevilDriver
Released: Oct 28, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Death Metal/Black Metal, Speed Metal
The bits and pieces have resonance, but they're rarely able to unite in a menacing or even very affecting way.
 9.1
 8.3
 9.8
DevilDriver Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2005

Sound: Coal Chamber was huge - Meegs had one of the loudest sounds on a sevenstring I've ever heard, and Rayna had such a bass that you could not believe. The bitch, breaking up Coal Chamber and all. Now, I was more than impressed in this album. Obviously, they haven't dropped the low tunings and shredding distorted licks. What more can be said? They're an incredibly fresh helping of true heavy metal. Check their official site (http://www.devildriver.com/) for free MP3 demonstrations of some of their best songs! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as strong and as intense as Coal chamber, but they definitely make an impact in variaty - the only song that I can think of that's repetetive is Swinging The Dead, which makes up in it's intense and driven sounds. While they aren't anything groundbreaking, they still work to make enough noise to make you need new windows. // 8

Overall Impression: For atleast a few years, I've been a big fan of Coal Chamber. The first song I ever heard by them was 'Fiends'. This was back when I didn't play guitar, when I was musically inept (well, when I had yet to discover that I was a little bit of a natural), so I didn't keep up with news. When I heard that they broke up a year after they did, I was heartbroken. They made a huge impression on me. Songs like 'Anxiety' and 'Loco' made a low sevenstring and breakthrough vocals even more impressive than Korn could have ever done. Not long ago, I bought the Resident Evil Apocalypse soundtrack. There, I heard 'Digging up the Corpses', and discovered DevilDriver. Oh my God. They blow Coal Chamber out of the water. They're more my style - less sensitive, constantly screaming rage music. They're the best way to let your anger out. Compared to the old Coal Chamber, DevilDriver takes heavy metal to a whole new meaning. 'Swinging the Dead', 'I Dreamed I Died', and 'Devil's Son' are absolutely unbelievable. If you liked Coal Chamber and you're an all-around metalhead, you need this album. Now. Stop reading this. Go get the damn album! // 10

DevilDriver Reviewed by: ownlittleworld, on august 03, 2004

Sound: With Dez Fafara fronting this heavy metal band, the sound is very much like Coal Chamber. I loved this album as it really allows the listener to vent their anger and it encompasses the senses with its heavy riffs and harsh vocals. // 8

Lyrics: Though the lyrics aren't fantastic they are delivered with great power and agression. This takes your mind of the words and lets you get lost in te music itself. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense it sounds good! // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums in its genre, I would say it has to be one of the better CDs I've heard. It's a sort of Coal Chamber like sounds, though it boasts that it has a heavier sound and feel to it. I bought the album after hearing Swinging The Dead in the movie Freddy Vs Jason. It is one of the best songs on the album along with I Could Care Less and I Dreamed I Died. I loved the agreesive nature of the CD. With heavy riffs and A-grade screaming this is a fantastic album. The only fault I could possibly find is the lyrics are weak. I'm not saying they are terrible, but I just thought I had to criticise something! If it were lost or stolen I would be an emotional wreck, and after getting myself together, I would definately buy it again. // 8

More Devildriver reviews rating latest review
+ Winter Kills 7.5 02/11/2014