The Last Kind Words Review

9.2
 8.9
 9.4
The Last Kind Words Reviewed by: HardAttack, on august 07, 2007

Sound: DevilDriver has always been a favorite metal band of mine since they debuted, and each album they always seem to mature (in a good way) and grow musically. The Last Kind Words is no exception to this. This is a great album, and by far their most well thought out, artistic album they've ever put out. The story behind the album is the struggle of being human. Above beast, but below higher beings. Life is pain, and this album really helps illustrate it. DevilDriver matured a lot on this record, even more than their sophomore effort. Guitar solos are more plentiful and more complex and the guitars and drums are even more powerful than the other albums if that's even possible. It's hard for some artists to stay angry album after album, but Dez and his bandmates have plenty to yell and scream about without sounding boring or stale. Lots of melody in this album also, with some lighter pieces found in the intros and outros of some songs. // 9

Lyrics: Despite the power of the music itself, the lyrics actually manage to impress compared to some of their earlier songs. I've never known Dez to be amazing with his lyrics, but along with the music, his writings talens have grown and developed. It gets a 7 for being better than the last two albums. // 7

Overall Impression: So far my favorite song on the album is Head On To Heartache (Let Them Rot). It's very powerful in every sense of the word and reminds me of their older material in a way. Every song on the album is great, and were it not for the silences in between each song, the album could easily be one big song. So far not too many riffs have really "caught me" like in the past couple albums, although I've only listened to it one and a half times through. I do love the album, and I think it's going to take a few spins before I find all of my favorite songs. But until I find them, there's more than enough to keep me interested. This CD completes my DevilDriver collection and if I ever lost it, I'd immediately get another copy. This is DevilDriver were talking about. They haven't made a bad album yet and I don't expect them to. // 9

The Last Kind Words Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on december 04, 2007

Sound: DevilDriver has come a long way since 2003. Upon their self-titled debut in 03', they have become more popular than most of the amazing bands on Roadrunner Records, the label they represent. Once again they have redefined their sound. More solos and more advanced song and lyrical writing have made them one of the most technical bands on RR Records. I hope to hear more from Dez and his crew in the near future possibly a live album! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are epic. That's almost all that is needed to say. It's brutal lyrical cuts like this that make Devildriver who they are, "Tied to the tree of woe, so woe to you. In front of the man with the dead eyes, with a choir of faith there's still hell to pay not enough hours in the day." As for vocal endurance, Dez Fafara has been a true to heart vocalist all his life, starting out with Coal Chamber in the early '90s, Bradley Dez Fafara has spawned to be one of the best frontmen of our time. He is amazing and supposodly a cool guy. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares closely with Shadows Are Security for AILD (As I Lay Dying) the drums and guitar itself remind me of that album specifically. The most impressive cuts to me, are usually not the singles, because when I buy a new album I find that most of the better songs that click with me are the ones surrounding the single, Horn of Betrayal and These Fighting Words really caught my attention. I love the fact that they added more solos and more advanced cuts but the fact is that Dez wont be around forever and I just feel like in this album his voice changed too much. As for losing it or it being stolen, I would buy it again. // 10

The Last Kind Words Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2009

Sound: "The Last Kind Words"is so far the best record from DevilDriver, featuring aggressive, groove metal riffing, melodic death metal lead-guitar work and really hot solos. Drumming is also very precise, yet crushing.Probably the inclusion of solos is the core difference between "The Last Kind Words" and it's predescessor "The Fury Of Our Maker's Hand".Also production is crystal clear, allowing the listener to enjoy every single note of the truly great riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Well one of the defining elements of the LP are vocals.Dez Fafara's art of screaming and growling is at it's best.Lyrics are pretty much decipherable, unlike those heard in brutal death metal. "I believe, do anything at all costs, you must believe, not all who wander are lost!" // 10

Overall Impression: "The Last Kind Words" is one of the best 2007 albums, and is a fusion of brutal force, fairly technical riffing, hot solos and memorable hooks.Those who haven't got the album I highly recommend you get it, cause it is a killer.The best tracks off the album are "Not All Who Wander are Lost" with it's heavy riffs and emotive solo,"These Fighting Words" with it's furious tempo,"Head On To Heartache","Clouds Over California" and "Tirades Of Truth" with really catchy melody. DevilDriver is one of the best modern metal bands, without any sucker alternative metal influences. Reviewed by Temo "TG" Gegia from Georgia. // 10

The Last Kind Words Reviewed by: otski, on august 08, 2007

Sound: Devildriver, a band that I have been listening too since I heard their single Hold Back The Day. From that day I have found my favorite band. A band that plays such an amazing mix of trash, speed and death metal that I just couldn't refuse the hand the devil shaked me. I myself know how to play some songs and I can say they aren't hard but they are enormously catchy. I would ask you for big applause for Dez, Jon, Michael, Jeffrey and John because I think this is their best album so far with raging solo's and destroying double bass (I had this CD since 16 june when I bought it at Fields of Rock). // 9

Lyrics: I never really had something with those deep, slow death metal vocals, but Dez opened my eyes. I could never find any meaning in Dez's lyrics or a story behind it, but on this album I can amaging story's (Horn Of Betrayal). Overall Dez's voice is awesome and if you think he can't pull it off live then you're wrong. I was right in front of him on fields of rock 17 june and he never skipt a line. // 9

Overall Impression: This is absolute Devildriver in fifth gear. A combination of ear-punching chorus's, wrecking bridges (as always) and the newly added solo's that devildrive the songs to a new eary level. My personal favorites are Horn Of Betrayal, Burning Sermon, Tirades Of Truth, Bound By The Moon and The Axe Shall Fall (with that cool outro). I really hate the song Monsters Of The Deep because it has the crappiest distortion ever and it's way too slow for Devildriver. // 10

The Last Kind Words Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2008

Sound: It's been about four years into the Devildriver career, I figure it's a step in the right direction since Coal Chamber. And from what I can figure, nothing's changed. Now, don't get me wrong. I love this band a lot. They are good musicians and performers no doubt, but as far as innovation is concerned, it appears to be nonexistent. I've noticed a recurring theme in each of Devildriver's albums is the overwhelming "pressured emotion". The writer, Dez, wants you to feel his emotions. Now emotions are one of the driving powers behind music. No emotion, no good, right? But it can't be a crutch for a lack of anything new. Now it's not an arguable point that they are good musicians, talented to their respective instruments, but what does that leave you? Innovative concepts and a fresh ideas are what keep an interest into the metal scene. Understandably Devildriver is a band who has a lot of technicality and talent to their instuments. The songs are fast and intense or slow and powerful, but it's pretty much the same as the last album. // 8

Lyrics: As far as the actual songwriting goes, I see it somewhat overshadowed by the immense lyrical ideas pushed around. I've noticed a recurring theme in each of Devildriver's albums is the overwhelming "pressured emotion". The writer, Dez, wants you to feel his emotions. Now emotions are one of the driving powers behind music. No emotion, no good, right? But it can't be a crutch for a lack of anything new. The lyrics are good, but they're the same. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said above, Devildriver is a good band and by no means are they mediocre musicians. Now this may be editorializing but I think that a sense of evolving and changing within the boundaries can greatly enhance an artists music. So if this is your first foray into the Devildriver sound, by all means get this CD. It encompasses all of the ideas and technique from the first and second album, and mixes them into a conglomerate of both. A happy medium, if you will. // 8

The Last Kind Words Reviewed by: kfong03, on july 21, 2008

Sound: Ever since they burst onto the metal scene in 2003 with their powerful self-titled debut album, Devildriver has always been recognised as a hardworking and respected band whose studio efforts have always been well welcomed by fans for it's break-neck riffage, inhuman screams, machine-gun drums and decent bass-playing with great guitar solos appearing in a few songs. However, in this third album, "The Last Kind Words", Devildriver has evolved, and everything is heavier and more technical: solos appear more frequently and will satisfy fans with their fret-burning brilliance, Dez Farara continues to please with his roars of anger and pain, the rythm section continues to dish out good basslines and amazing drumming that is essential to any good metal album, in terms of sound, I would honestly name this as the best Devildriver album. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are decent and Dez continues to mature with each album, although the ways he screams them will certainly remind us of his previous band, Coal Chamber, which may not be a bad thing, Dez has a good voice and he continues to use it to deliver his powerful and at times, menacing lyrics, which goes together very well with the music. // 7

Overall Impression: To be frank, this is a great album, with songs such as "Burning Sermon", "Not All Who Wander Are Lost", "Clouds Over California" and "Head On To Hearthache" being particular highlights, although some would say that this album is very similar to other metal albums by artists like Trivium, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, I would argue that this may be true but Devildriver has it's own unique energy and it comes through on their songs, Dez's unique screaming and Jeff+Mike's amazing dual guitar parts sets it apart from other metal bands and after a repeated listen, I'm sure this album will sink in, and once it does, it should quickly be a favorite album to you and pave the way for future Devildriver albums. // 9

More Devildriver reviews rating latest review
+ Winter Kills 7.5 02/11/2014