Lightning To The Nations (The White Album) Review

artist: diamond head date: 02/22/2006 category: compact discs
diamond head: Lightning To The Nations (The White Album)
Released: 1981
Label: Fan Club
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Independently released in 1981, the album proved hugely influential on future Metallica member Lars Ulrich and Megadeth's Dave Mustaine.
Lightning To The Nations (The White Album) Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on february 22, 2006

Sound: Also known as The White Album, "Lightning To The Nations" stands to be one of the most influential heavy metal albums of all time that hardly ever got heard. In fact, the band's work probably would have still remained obscure hadn't Metallica, undoubtedly the most popular band of the metal genre, covered 5 of the 7 songs from the album. And that stands to be Diamond Head's biggest selling point: if they inspired Metallica, they had to be good. And good they are. Though probably not great, "Lightning To The Nations" is one of the most unadulterated all-out rocking albums of all-time. // 10

Lyrics: From the opening and title-track, their potential is immediately proven. With some of the greatest riffs of the metal genre, Diamond Head serve up metal as it had never been done until that point, and probably never will be again. Combining powerful guitar-driven elements, rough drumming, smooth basslines and monumental vocals, Diamond Head create and master a style all their own. // 10

Overall Impression: Though the original album only consists of 7 tracks (on the remastered edition, there are 8 bonus tracks; more than there are regular tracks), nearly every song delivers the goods. From beautiful ballad-like instrumental sections (the interlude of "Sucking My Love") to retrospective '60s British rock-ish nostalgia ("It's Electric") to just raw metal ("Am I Evil?"), "Lightning To The Nations" remains a masterpiece of epic proportions. Though Diamond Head themselves don't stand very tall in the music world, they deserve immense credit where credit is due for creating one of the most influential metal albums of all-time. If you're a fan of any kind of metal, or even just rock in general, this album is a must-buy. // 10

Lightning To The Nations (The White Album) Reviewed by: Stian_S, on june 24, 2005

Sound: Diamond Head where one of the leading bands of the New Wave of British heavy metal, their sound is very much like the early Iron Maiden albums. Only better. Raw distorted guitars and sharp lyrics delivered by a skillful vocalist. Music people sayed that "there's more good riffs in an average Diamond Head song than in the first four Black Sabbath albums." And you are not going to be disapointed if you buy this album. This band inspired Metallica, so if you own Garage INC, most of this songs are familier to you. Classics like "Am I Evil," "The Prince," "Helpless" & "It's Electric" are here! Listen to the guitar solo in the middle of Sucking My Love, beutiful! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics is everything from getting a blowjob (Sucking My Love) to becoming a rock star (Helpless & It's Electric). Am I Evil is about a boy whoose mother is burned for beeing a witch, and the singer sings about his revenge (this song containes an amazing guitarsolo, I love it every time I hear it). The vocalist, Sean Harris, sounds much like Bruce Dickinson of Maiden, an he's not letting you down here! The lyrics fit the music perfect, and helps create the moods of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: My opinion is that this album is better than most Iron Maiden albums, it is just a gem in my CD collection. On my edition there is 14 songs, 7 bonus songs. I only listen to the first seven songs, but every song on this record is good. The best song on this record is Lightning to the Nations or Am I Evil. They both have something rare over them. If I lost this record I would get out and buy a new one. // 10

Lightning To The Nations (The White Album) Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 18, 2005

Sound: This is one of the best heavy metal albums I have ever heard of all time. Every song is great. I especially like the song Am I Evil? because it has a cool intro riff, good verse riffs and a awesome solo. The song is aproximately 7:30 long. Another good song on this album would be Sucking My Love which also has a great intro riff in it. There is also another good song which is also my favorite song ever by Diamond Head which is Lightning To The Nations. This song has to be one of the best metal songs of all time along with Sucking My Love and Am I Evil?. Brian Tatler is one of the best metal guitarists of all time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album have to be very interesting. For the song Am I Evil? it's about a guy who's mother is a witch. You don't realy wanna know what Sucking My Love is about because you could propely get it from the title. I like the part in the Prince when sean Harris sings "See his face, see his smile time to die!" Sean Harris is a good vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: A lot of these songs are also on Metallica's Garage Inc. album. The songs that are on Garage Inc. are It's Electric, Helpless, Am I Evil?, and The Prince. The most impressive songs on the album are Am I Evil?, The Prince and Lightning To The Nations. I like the album art a lot. I don't hate anything about this album. If this were losy I would be so mad I would go crazy. // 10

Comments