Ire Works Review

dillinger escape plan: Ire Works
Release Date: Nov 5, 2007
Label: Wea/Relapse
Genres: Experimental Rock, Grindcore, Post-Hardcore
Ire Works succeeds in many of the same ways that their previous album did, while branching out creatively.
 8.7
 9.3
Ire Works Reviewed by: South-of-Heaven, on november 13, 2007

Sound: The Dillinger Escape Plan are a very special band indeed. Progression is a big thing for the manic math-metallers, seeing as they covered the gap between insanely technical, electronic grindcore and open minded generic oddballism in just five years. Ire Works more or less picks up where 2004's Miss Machine left off. You have your heavy as hell face melters such as "Fix Your Face", "Lurch" and "Nong Eye Gong", atmospheric tracks such as "Mouth of Ghosts", and "When Acting As A Partical", and then your interestic numbers such as "Sick on Sunday" and "When Acting As A Wave" which remind you how good the band are at counting past four. The track that really surprised me was the third song "Black Bubblegum". The vocals here daringly sound like pop rock style melodies, with Greg Puciato's meaty vocals sound like something you'd hear on the morning chart shows on E4. The song itself is sort of like an even lighter "Unretrofied", from Miss Machine. I favoured this song, nonetheless. // 7

Lyrics: Seeing as you have to have to break into the CD case itself to get the lyrics sheet, and Greg's yelling is nigh on indecipherable, I wouldn't expect the band to expect much credit for the lyrics themselves. Nevertheless, the lyrics are pure poetry, "Lurch" containing my favourite lines: "I don't know your name from my window/Do you lust for fame or forgiveness?/Well I'll give you everything you want", describing himself as a pervert, or a secret admirer of somebody, and are sung with angst, and torture. However chaotic the music may seem, the vocals are definately in time with the instruments. Greg switches between hell-hot, flesh tearing screams to his sweety, innocent, yet tormented clean vocals, which demonstrate his inner pain, painting pictures of a tortured, twisted young soul. Ironically, Dimitri Minakakis, the band's old vocalist performs backing vocals on this album, more specifically opener "Fix Your Face". Mastodon's Brent Hinds also performs backing vocals on the pen-ultimate track "Horse Hunter." // 9

Overall Impression: When I ripped the songs onto my iTunes, I was disappointed to see many songs last under two minutes. But after listening, I realised that these were usually the instrumental and heavier tracks, and was thankful that they last as long as they do, otherwise my head would have imploded due to the constant barrage of insane velocity protruded by Ben Weinman's own two hands. Yes, he really is that fast. My favorites are probably "Black Bubblegum", "Milk Lizard", "Party Smasher", "Fix Your Face", and "When Acting As A Wave". The only two songs I have no time for are the fourth track "Sick on Sunday" and closer "Mouth of Ghosts", for the simple reason they lack feeling and momentum. Sure I would enjoy them if I was in a morose, sombre mood, but they come rarely to me so meh. I love the way the album is packaged, with a strange booklet showing mysterious block shapes in place of a lyrics booklet, and the lyrics sheet is oddly placed behind the CD. Also I was surprised how easy to comprehend the whole album is, through reading magazine reviews I was expecting to need to listen to each song about 10 times to figure out what was going on. But no, I could understand it, and after having the album just two days I know what happens and when and where. Not everything, but enough. That may be just me, but still, don't expect too much complexity from this album. // 8

Ire Works Reviewed by: BlackMagic17, on may 28, 2008

Sound: On Ire Works, Dillinger Escape Plan works their Math-Core magic despite the loss of legendary drummer Chris Pennie. This album is a solid offering from a band that continues to reach out of the underground scene that they have resided in for so long. The first thing that I noticed when I listened to this album is the prominent guitar work of duo Ben Weinman and Jeff Tuttle. The guitar is at the same level of technicality of past albums, but has taken a more central role in the music. The guitar tone is heavier and has greater presence than on past Dillinger albums, which adds to the prominence. // 9

Lyrics: Greg Puciato has filled the shoes of lead vocalist well since Dimitri Minikakas left the band in 2001. His ability branches out on this album, with more singing vocals that are usually heard in Dillinger songs. With catchy songs like Milk Lizard and Black Bubblegum that have killer vocal hooks, Greg has added his own style of songwriting to the foundation that Dimitri laid so long ago. As far as skills go, not many vocalists could coherently follow along with the rapidly changing time signatures that the ingenious instrumentalists write, but Greg does the job exceptionally well. // 10

Overall Impression: Dillinger Escape Plan has made one giant step forward with Ire Works. It is easier to listen to than past albums, but retains the Math-Core feel that makes the band remarkable. If I had to choose my favorite songs from the album, I would pick the single-worthy Black Bubblegum, for it's sheer pop sensibility, and 82588, for it's traditional Dillinger sound. I would buy this album several times over, as it is one of my most listened-to albums. Other bands have tried and failed to copy Dillinger, but even with only one original member, these hardcore giants continue to make music that lives up to the first albums. I'm curious to hear what their new drummer, Gil Sharone, comes up with on the next album, when he has to write his own parts instead of using Chris Pennie's sheet music. // 9

Ire Works Reviewed by: salamander121, on august 11, 2008

Sound: The very first time I heard Dillinger Escape Plan's "Ire Works" it really hit me, as I had never really been into the hardcore/mathcore scene. Their music to me can easily be summed up in two words: organised chaos. Dillinger Escape Plan are well known for their mathcore style music and powerful vocals, which in this album is easily fufilled. "Ire Works" was formed soon after their old drummer (Chrus Pennie) had left to join the metal-core group Coheed and Cambria and when their old guitarist (Brian Benoit) suffered nerve damage and could no longer play guitar. Luckily they found their new drummer, Gil Sharone, who filled Pennie's place quite comfortably and new guitarist Jeff Tuttle as new guitarist. This was the first time I had ever heard mathcore and I had stumbled upon it by chance. For me, it took a few times to listen to as the odd time signatures incorporated as well as the strong dissonance. The more I listened to it, the more I noticed how much musical craftmanship had gone into it, which got me addicted to it for a while. At first, it looked very promising. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to "Ire Works" to me seems to be telling some kind of strange story but I just can't tell what. It seems to sound like somebody who manages to rise to fame but abuses it and everything falling down on them, which to me makes for good listening. As it is mathcore, Greg Puciato's singing fits perfectly to the madness that they create. Then again Greg's voice can be very two sided. Based on what I found from comments on songs such as Black Bubblegum or Milk Lizard, people can prefer his clean vocals much more to his shotuing/screaming vocals vice versa. A lot of people hate Greg's clean vocals as it's not like 'their old stuff' but to me, it takes a lot of guts to do something new or different. On the other hand Greg's shouting/screaming vocals can get quite tedious if you listen to it over and over again, but I guess that can happen with a lot of albums. To sum up: the signing is mostly good in all their songs shouting or otherwise but I think the best result happens when Greg's mixes both clean and shouting vocals into one song. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums it sounds quite individual but then again you can get people wqho sound exactly like them. I didn't know I was into this genre of music until I listened to this so I guess this openeed a lot of new gates for me to expand my music taste. As for a good mixture of examples of what's on this album it would have to be: 'Fix Your Face', 'Black Bubblegum', 'Milk Lizard' and 'Horse Hunter'. There are one or two songs that I don't tend to listne to that much, simply because I find them slightly odd such as 'Sick on Sunday' which seems to be a drone of noise with a little song at the end, the same goes for Mouth of Ghosts, which is a good song when it gets into it, but it seems to have to much of a build up into it. But don't let that put you off; "Ire works" is a great sounding album, which despite first listening, must of taken much skill to compose and put together. // 9

More Dillinger Escape Plan reviews rating latest review