Miss Machine Review

dillinger escape plan: Miss Machine
Released: Jul 20, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Experimental Rock, Post-Hardcore
Technical metal, righteous hardcore, twittering jazz interludes, and starkly melodic, seemingly post-punk-inspired segments all put the punters soundly in their place.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
Miss Machine Reviewed by: Me09, on august 24, 2004

Sound: The state of hardcore is somewhat at a standstill. But lately, I've noticed some bands taking the inititive to push the envelope of the hardcore sound. The Dillinger Escape Plan are one of the better groups that are twisting the sound around. Driving guitars, mixed up time signatures and a great singer/screamer make this band a keeper. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are twisted. Some don't make any sense at all, and some are just great. The singer is great. His screaming is awesome and his regular singing voice blows me away. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't really compare this band to any other bands in the hardcore scene right now. Best songs off this album would have to be all of them, I can't decide. If I had to go with one, I'd go with Baby's First Coffin. Very good song. I love how the music can go from grinding to complete slowness. If this were stolen I would definatly pick this up, along with Calculating Infinity. // 10

Miss Machine Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2004

Sound: Of course, after Calculating Infinity and Irony Is A Dead Scene, I fell victim to having insanely high expectations of The Dillinger Escape Plan's latest full length, "Miss Machine". The day it came out I picked up a copy, and put it in not knowing what to expect. Putting it in my car stereo I was immeadiatly bashed against the wall by the opener "Panasonic Youth". I was pumped up by the end of that song, but the trip this album would take me on, though much different than Calculating Infinity, left me with my mouth open at the end of it. "Did they just do that?" Superb musicianship, with a new more accessible edge to it. They sound like no other band ever has, they dont even sound like old Dillinger as much anymore. Songs are often started by time signature shifting jazz-thrash and they build up into smart verses and choruses, then they go where they havent gone before: soft. There are soft parts on no less than 7 of the 11 songs on this album. and when they go soft, they do it really well. On calculating infinity you took clean parts as a sorta breather for the oncoming fury, because you knew that Dillinger was gonna wake up and blast you with more ruthless guitar and drum work. On here there is a song (Unretrofied) which is almost completely done with clean guitar. Props to Dillinger for pushing the envelope. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are funky. Yes, thats the word. Some of them are edgy and smart, some of them are downright confusing. This album is Greg Puciato's record debut as the new singer of The Dillinger Escape Plan, though hes been around since 2001. And I have to say, He is an excellent screamer, but his best quality is his almost ethereal singing voice, which gives the new album a mysterious calm at all the right spots. Puciato does scream on this album, a lot, in every song, so dont expect easy listening music. but he also fleshes out clean vocals all throughout most of the songs, even for long periods of time! His singing/screaming adds to the dynamics of the band. // 10

Overall Impression: Its hard to compare The Dillinger Escape Plan to anything else on the market, because they are their own sound in all rights. This isn't Calculating Infinity 2. I like all the songs on the album, but my favorite is Highway Robbery. I love how Dillinger actually has verses and choruses now! If you like mainstream stuff the only song you will like is "Unretrofied" and if you like industrial or industrial-hardcore, you will groove on "Phone Home" which is essentially Dillinger meets NIN. If I were to lose this album, I would not hesitate to go to any lengths to get it again, because since I have gotten this album, I have spent most of my time listening to it. It is that good. // 10

Miss Machine Reviewed by: salamander121, on november 10, 2008

Sound: Dillinger Escape Plan are known for their blend of hardcore punk with technical metal, producing the genre they seemed to pioneer - mathcore. Mathcore does sound slightly ridculous but it's a more convienient way of saying technical hardcore punk metal. I personally just call them techinical metal as to me, they sway more on that side. Miss Machine was the first album with their newly recruited singer, Greg Puciato, after Dimitri Minakakis left to concentrate more on graphic design (where he later on helped them design the cover to Ire Works). Miss Machine was a brave step for Dillinger as it was seen as an experimental album to see what they could do. They recieved a lot of critism from fans saying things such as "It was better when Dimitri was in" or "Their all just sellouts now". Wrong. This album shows they can achieve anything from the end of the tech metal spectrum such as the first track "Panasonic Youth" to the more 'radio friendly' as people put it like "Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants" or "Unretrofied", both which I must add, are a great asset to the album as it really proves all the people who call them 'noise' or 'unskilled' wrong. // 9

Lyrics: TDEP lyrics can often be hard to decipher. "Sunshine the Werewolf" for example: "See how this love kills,Dropping curtains down concealing appearances of heaven, Without my existence, You are nothing, Without my affection, You wilt," It sounds vaguely like it based around some sort of unconditional love or a hectic relationship of some sort, once again I find it very hard to decipher lyrics as I'm not really much of a lyricist. Besides taht I find taht Puciato sings the songs very well, showing the right tone and emotion to show what the songs meaning is about. "Sunshine the Werewolf" is an angry sounding song, though slowing down half way, singing not as aggresively for a while before crashing back in with the anger again. It all works very well. // 8

Overall Impression: I have listened to most Dillinger Escape Plans' albums and to be honest, this is probably their best one so far. It has something for everybody in it whether your much of a 'Mathcore' fan or not. It is sad that once this album was released the drummer, Chris Pennie, left for another band and it did take out something that I can't put my finger on but Gil Sharone (their newest drummer) has replaced Pennie, fitting his own style in well. My favourite songs from this album and probably songs that you should listen to if you are interested would be "Panasonic Youth", "Highway Robbery", "Unretrofied" and "Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants" as in my opinion, give the best preview of what this album is all about. There is no way you can compare Dillinger Escape Plan to many other bands as they are so individual, with not that many other bands in their genre around. If I lost this, I would definetaly get it again. // 10

More Dillinger Escape Plan reviews rating latest review