Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia Review

dimmu borgir: Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Released: Mar 20, 2001
Label: Nuclear Blast America
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
With significant melodic classical influence and lots of five-dollar words, the digital jesters construct huge plastic cathedral-sized heavy metal dance halls for the purpose of desecrating virtual-reality saints.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2005

Sound: Great album. Definatly thier best. A must have for any true black metal fan. The only thing I see wrong with it, is it's sometimes very empty sounding like it needs more. The song "Blessings Upon The Throne Of Tyranny" is their best song yet, it (to me) comes off as more death metal more than black metal. It's extremly well writen, best keyboard and drums I've ever heard. This CD is amazing! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing! It's mind-blowing how well writen it is. "Emerged from the depths of the earth's gasps. It rages against mankind, to annihilate the earth and worse. It spills the blood like rain the beuty of death it represents" from "Architecture Of A Genocidal Nature." That's just a sample! They're pretty f--ked up though, if you got a problem with satanic stuff, look elsewhere, but I'm catholic and I love this album! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great! But sometimes it seems that they work on their lyrics more than the music. As I said before, sometimes it seems a little empty in the music. But for any true black metal fan this album is awesome! // 8

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia Reviewed by: fnoof, on march 19, 2007

Sound: With whie knuckle black metal and dramatic neo-classical orchestral passages in even proprtion, this is indefinitiveley the strongest thing Dimmu have ever produced. With innovative creativity always setting them far apart from any other black metal outfit, the influence of the gothenberg half orchestra is as strong as ever for Dimmu Borgir. Rich and dark tones flow through this record as blood through body. Musically, Dimmu Borgir are unsurpassable and in this album, they show just that. Outstanding tracks include; Kings of the carnival creation, Hybrid Stigmata; The apostasy and The Maelstrom Mephisto. // 10

Lyrics: Despite the raw theme of occult beliefs and war in this album, everything lyrical is delivered in an intuitive, creative and reserved passage, nothing special from Dimmu Borgir, but all the same; excellent. Shagraths vocals have always come across as sameish to me, however, I always feel inclined to burst when I hear the voice of Vortex he is the X factor of this band, delivering clean vocals that can chill spines and warm hearts. // 9

Overall Impression: A brilliant album, the only thing I have as far of concern for this album is that I don't believe Dimmu Borgir could top this album if they tried. The most impressive song on the album is Kings of the Carnival Creation, with Poweful lead passages and tapping breaks, warm solos and Spine chilling orchestral vocals. You must buy this album if you like black metal. I am so passionate about this album that I would guard it with my life and if anyone guy thier hands on my copy I would tear thier head off and shove it right up thier backside. Then take my CD back. // 10

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2007

Sound: The sound is nearly perfect on this album. It's strong and loud as the genre should be. The 25 piece symphony pretty much fills every hole that could be found and is much better than the full orchestra on Deathcult Armaggedon. The drums are probably the most stand out feature. They bleed power. // 10

Lyrics: Shagrath sounds best on this album. Stormblast displays him as kind of broken and grainy, and deathcult armaggedon makes him sound like a villain in a cartoon. Puritanical displays the strongest vocal effort he's had. Vortex is very well used on this album. He is golden on every song he sing in. The lyrics are very well written, also. I don't get too much into that because, they aren't much for me to relate to, but there are some really gorgeously flowing passages. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album to death. Kings of the Carnival Creation, Hybrid Stigmata, Blessings upon the Throne of Tyranny, and Sympozium are probably my favorite songs, but I pretty much listen to the album from front to back whenever I put it in. Fear and Wonder is such an awesome opener, too. I suggest buying this, no matter what you're in to, because it'll get you into heavier music. // 10

More Dimmu Borgir reviews rating latest review