Stormblast Review

dimmu borgir: Stormblast
Release Date: 1996
Label: Cacophonous
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
Stormblast has all the makings of a future first-tier black metal outfit finding its footing in the misty, cragged mountains of Norway.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
Stormblast Reviewed by: godrestthyweary, on may 31, 2006

Sound: I love the way this CD sounds. It's sorta black metal, but it's soft, and doomy. The piano in it is perfect, especially the intro. Sorgens Kammer especially was good. It was the only instrumental on the cd, but if you don't like slower metal songs you'll hate this one. It's all on the piano, and it's just plain out kick ass. All of the other songs are pleasant to listen to also. I have always been a huge fan of Dimmu Borgir. I like the synthesised music, and they know how to make their music to flow well. I give it an eight out of ten. // 8

Lyrics: I, being from America, love music when it is in another language, and the entire CD is in Norwegian. I don't speak Norwegian though, but it's still really good. Shagrath is a pretty good awesome vocalist, so it still sounds good. Although comparing his voice to his newer music, he is no comparison. He has grown so much in his talent since this CD was put out. I give it a ten out of ten. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I loved this album. Right fron the first song to the last. The piano was amazing, the guitar flowed with it, and it just blew me away. The band re-recorded this album, but I still like this version the best. Comparing the way they sounded back when this CD was re-corded to what they sound like now is so hard to do because they have changed so much over the years and every album they put out is slightly different (at least from the few that I have heard). // 10

Stormblast Reviewed by: HardAttack, on april 01, 2008

Sound: Fantastic. My interest in Dimmu Borgir started when I heard the song 'The Serpentine Offering' on the radio at around 1AM when coming home from work. I was so interested that it prompted me to go out and buy the album the next day, and I wasn't dissapointed. Since then, my interest in this Norwegian black metal band has grown to the point that I'm beginning to collect all of their albums. Now because this album is in Norwegian, the lyrics are something I have to look up and translate myself. I'm a native English speaker so it's a little bit of extra work, but the complexity of the music and the nuances of the vocals more than makes up for it. Dimmu Borgir and most bands in the black metal genre really are the modern opera composers of the 21st century. // 9

Lyrics: If you are purplexed by the statement I made above, let me explain a little bit. Dimmu Borgir is a band that goes beyond simple song structure with a set meaning to a song. A lot of bands make an album with several mixed messages, basically twelve tracks that have nothing to do with each other on one CD. Dimmu actually composes an album that tells a story in which all the tracks are related. A fable can be told in several different ways, the most recognizeable methods however; are through words, pictures and music. An opera is a story told by music and lyrics. And while the genre 'Opera' may not be the first word that comes to mind, if you really think about it; bands like this truly compose a modern form of opera music. And it's breathtaking. The only drawback with the lyrics on this album is that they're not in English so they're hard for the folks in the US to understand. A lot of music lovers care more about the compositions rather than the lyrics, and that's true for me too. However, I like to know exactly what the real meaning of the song is, so I put forth effort to look up the translations for the lyrics too. Obviously, I won't be taking a point off of my score just because the lyrics aren't in English. That wouldn't be fair. Looking at the translations (which I realize probably aren't perfectly accurate since the members of Dimmu Borgir didn't actually explain them to me), the lyrics aren't quite as sharp as those on 'In Sorte Diaboli', but they're very deep and moving. The two albums I own haven't let me down so far, and as I collect more, I don't expect the others to either. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great album for nearly anyone with tastes in the metal genre. I think people who can really enjoy a well composed piece with deep lyrics (reguardless of religious alignment or aggressiveness of the instruments) will appreciate this album. Dimmu Borgir is a great band, and despite the fact that the band itself is 15 years old, they aren't showing any signs of slowing down. I can only hope I'm right. Supposedly a new album will be appearing in a few months, and I'm patiently waiting to buy it as soon as it's released. // 9

Stormblast Reviewed by: NokturnalMe, on september 26, 2007

Sound: The sound on the album is really good compared to the original release of the Stormblast album. However the sound has changed a few songs from the album, i.e. the song Stormblast. A completely different version which kinda upset me cause I mean I fell in love with the original version of Stormblast before the re-released boxset came out. The symphony of the genre is amazing and will always be one of the best BM albums out there today. But yeah overall the sound is good. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are basically epic, satanic, the usual BM lyrics you'll find. I don't personally think it's influencial to a state where it will contradict the morals of today as we all have our own opinions. But then again it's Norwegian so who the hell understands? Who cares? The lyric's contents fit the scene pretty well. Shagrath has an amazing set of pipes and he really knows how to scare the shit out of you. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is my favorite album from Dimmu Borgir. Why? Cause it's the throne of their symphonic black metal days and still sounds pretty epic in today's music scene. Most impressive song's on the album are Stormblast, amazing start and the whole epic atmosphere is just out of this world. Broderskapets Ring is one of the coolest brotherhood songs you'll get out there. Totally love the viking-like feeling. Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen is another amazing tune as it has these cool sections to it that left me wanting to learn Norwegian. If stolen I'd then have to steal it back again. And kill the bastard who stole it. I just hate the way they remastered Stormblast. Lost it's energy. It's gruesome sound. But then again it sounds tooonnnsss better thanks to Mustus who gave the re-released version some symphony. Cool album. A total must have. // 9

More Dimmu Borgir reviews rating latest review