Farm Review

dinosaur jr: Farm
Released: Jun 23, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock, Indie Rock
Label: Jagjaguwar
This is Dinosaur Jr at its best the original three back for second run since 1988, somehow Mascis' vocals haven't changed one iota since the 80's yet sound fresher than any other album.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Farm Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2009

Sound: This is Dinosaur Jr at its best the original three back for second run since 1988, somehow Mascis' vocals havent changed one iota since the 80's yet sound fresher than any other album. The guitar is so good its untrue, soaring solo's such as the 4-Minute-Plus solo in "I Don't Wanna Go There", chunky yet melodic riffs in the fuzz style that put Dinosaur Jr apart from the hardcore music of the 80's and kicked off grunge. The bass is just right under the guitar and the drums have an energy you wouldnt expect of a band in their 40's. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well-penned with a hint of sarcasm and depression, as well as some feeling of conciliation between Mascis and Barlow. All in all, there is no way of denying that the lyrics and the singing matches every song perfectly. The singing is in fact, terrible musically, its moaning and wailing and more moaning with an aching voice, but it works perfectly with the music just as it always has. // 10

Overall Impression: The Farm album can't really be compared to other artists due to Dinosaur Jr's distinctive sound, fuzzy grunge guitar and understated wailing lyrics. For the most impressive songs I would listen to "Pieces", "I Don't Wanna Go There" and "Plans". There is nothing to hate about this album its awkward but works in a way that will keep you listening and reaching for the nearest guitar/drum set/broomstick for a jam. Without a doubt, the best Dinosaur Jr album to date, and I have all of them. If someone stole this I think I would be glad, because its another person whose eyes might be opened to Dinosaur Jr. its criminal that so many people will walk past this without knowing how good it is and saying "oh look its that band that did that 'Feel The Pain' song on Rock Band" before walking on and picking up some modern trash thats all production and no talent. These guys are real music. Grow your hair, put it on in your car at maximum volume and drive around until your ears bleed.. the deafness will be worth it. // 10

More Dinosaur Jr reviews rating latest review