Where You Been Review

dinosaur jr: Where You Been
Released: Feb 9, 1993
Genre: Alternative Rock, Indie Rock, Grunge
Label: Blanco y Negro, Sire
This album is accessible enough for radio airplay and to attract newcomers to this band and the genre, but still raw enough to be considered "underground."
 7.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Where You Been Reviewed by: sunburstshredde, on march 20, 2014

Sound: I'm surprised no one had reviewed this already. Dinosaur Jr. was and still is the brainchild of singer/guitarist/songwriter J Mascis. He was influenced by Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, and punk rock, and you can hear elements of their music throughout the album. Mascis gets his raw guitar tone by playing a Fender Jazzmaster through distorted Marshall amps. He's a great guitarist - quite underrated in my opinion, and his frequent solos set his band apart from many of their contemporaries. Mike Johnson's bass is pretty much inaudible, and Murph is a great drummer for someone who plays in such a simple, unrefined style. The album has a live feel to it; I doubt anyone spent more than a day or two recording one song. // 8

Lyrics: Mascis isn't the most accomplished vocalist; I imagine many would be fans will be turned off by his low range, "drawling" style. His falsetto voice, as heard on "Not the Same," is especially bad. On the other hand, he does a good job of finding the right melody to sing over the music. Most of the lyrics seem to be about relationships. Here's a sample of the album's biggest hit, "Start Choppin": "Oh, there's no goin' back to that, I'm so numb, can't even react, Didn't say it's not okay, But we aren't dealin' the same way, I ain't tellin' you a secret, I ain't tellin' you goodbye." // 7

Overall Impression: I'd say this was overall a good album, but not quite as good as Dino Jr.'s "You're Living All Over Me." It's accessible enough for radio airplay and to attract newcomers to this band and the genre, but still raw enough to be considered "underground." The musicianship is a few notches above other bands that play this style of music, which I liked, but the worst part was, once again, the vocals. If this CD was lost or stolen from me, I would buy it again, but not immediately. For those who have never heard Dinosaur Jr.'s music, "Where You Been" is a great place to start. // 8

More Dinosaur Jr reviews rating latest review