You're Living All Over Me Review

dinosaur jr: You're Living All Over Me
Release Date: 1987
Label: SST
Genres: American Underground, Indie Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
You're Living All Over Me was a turning point in American underground rock & roll.
 9.5
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
You're Living All Over Me Reviewed by: SonicYouth687, on july 21, 2006

Sound: An assortment of heavy, yet sometimes light riffs, consumed by J Mascis's brilliant guitar soloing, which are untouchable in alternative music industry. This is Dinosaur Jr's 2 full-length album; Recorded and released in 1987. It is for sure one of the best alternative/indie albums of the '80s. J Mascis is a brilliant orchestrator of amazing alternative rock and outstanding guitar solos. The sound of You're Living All Over me is a complete improvement on their self-titled debut Dinosaur, which seemed ruff and rushed. Music lovers of bands like Sonic Youth, Love Battery, and Neil Young will love this album. // 9

Lyrics: J Mascis is a romantic. Songs like Kracked and Little Fury Things show a very intimate side of Mascis as he sings of heartbreak, loss, and love. On a completely different note songs such as "The Lung" describe a collapsing lung and confusion and doubt in society. J Mascis is one of the best singers, I think, in alternative rock, and this album and its lyrical content show that. I think the title of the CD itself really reflects to the fan what exactly they're going to find on this album; a man singing about love and its constricts and negatives. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above this is definitely one of the best alternative albums of the '80s and for those who wish to really listen to alternative/indie when it was starting out, this is the album to get. An amazing collection of lyrical content and insane guitar work along with Mascis's passion make this a definite buy for any fan of Dinosaur Jr. // 9

More Dinosaur Jr reviews rating latest review