The Very Beast Of Dio Review

dio: The Very Beast Of Dio
Released: October 3, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
The Very Beast of Dio is jam-packed with 16 tracks taken from the band's seven Warner and Reprise albums.
 9.3
 9.5
The Very Beast Of Dio Reviewed by: angusrox, on june 21, 2004

Sound: First off, yes, it's supposed to say "Beast" of, it's not a typo. Second, I'm only 16 and wasn't around during their big time success, so don't be too cruel when you read this. Anyway, the cd has really good sound, even on the live tracks, such as "Man On The Silver Mountain" and "King Of Rock N' Roll" (although, they didn't label "King..." as a live song on the back of the case). I digress, the sound is good and this cd is essential to any dio fan. // 8

Lyrics: Dio has always been a band of messages. In a genre of hard rock/metal, they managed to give the people that listened to it some hope, which is something you didn't see much. Also, Ronnie James Dio (singer) is, essentially, a vocal guitar. His vocals serve as a riff themselves, seeming to help the guitarists along. His singing is crisp, inspiring, and just kicks major butt. // 10

Overall Impression: Here's a rundown of some of the songs: 01. Stand Up And Shout: great opener for any album, it gets the blood pumping, dragging you into the cd. 02. Holy Diver: Do I really need to explain this song? It's a very "power metal" song, like Iron Maiden's stuff, that medieval, mysterious type song. It's a classic and always will be. 03. Rainbow In The Dark: if you don't like this, you're not a dio fan, plain and simple. Catchy keyboards, classic riffs, and one hell of a voice. 04. Last In Line: starts off as sort of a respite, but then kicks it into overdrive, with Ronnie belting out "we're coming". The song is catchy, creative, and rocks. 05. Dream Evil: Another song in the style of "Holy Diver", enough said! 06. I Could Have Been A Dreamer: Nice, little ditty, not hard, not soft, just right. There's quite a few more songs, but I don't have a memory so I don't remember them all. // 10

The Very Beast Of Dio Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on january 29, 2009

Sound: Two words 80's Metal, and at it's finest. Dio brings back that hard core headbanger in everyone. There is no other band that can produce a sound quite like dio. The sound in this album represents the epic metal scene that Dio has brought with them everywhere they go. It is that of raw guitar riffs mixed into the all powerful voice of Ronnie James Dio, which together is almost unstoppable. I'm not saying that all Dio's songs are perfect, but there pretty damn close. And when you compare it to other bands around the same time period there were not very many similarities. Take Sabbath for examle, one of the founding fathers of the metal scene, Dio toook what Sabbath started and boosted it up a notch. The pace was never to fast or too slow and it seems like the sound would just blow you away. Very, very powerful and moving sound produced by Dio. Best song soundwise on this album is Rainbow in The Dark. // 9

Lyrics: Ronnie James Dio seems almost like a musical poet, his words are deep and very metaphorical. They also seemed to find a way to get me thinking. The lyrics explain things so clearly, even if the subject is very deep and hard to grasp. In some of the songs you just think how did he come up with this or where did he get that idea, like the storyline for holy diver. Where did he think of that story, I mean the guy has serious talent because not only can he come up with good lyrics but he can sing them equally well, and it adds so much more to the band. The best song lyrically is Strange Highways. // 10

Overall Impression: This album was one of my first 80's rock albums and I have to say that I love it, and if I lost it I would by it again and again and agian. This album introduced me to the classic metal scene, I think the next album I bought was a Judas Priest album following many more. It is just such a great work of art. I love how Ronnie can match his voice almost perfectly with the song melodie and tune, it is amazing. Dio will forever be burned into my mind, and the best song by Dio of all time is The Last IN Line. // 10

More Dio reviews rating latest review
+ Metal Hits 8.4 12/04/2013