Love Over Gold Review

dire straits: Love Over Gold
Release Date: Sep 1982
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Rock & Roll, Pop/Rock, Album Rock
In a sense, the album is their prog rock effort, containing only five songs, including the 14-minute opener "Telegraph Road."
 9.2
 9.3
 9.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Love Over Gold Reviewed by: DireStraits, on july 14, 2006

Sound: Love Over Gold is an earlier, more laid-back Dire Straits, and some who like Brothers In Arms may not necessarily enjoy this album. And I will admit, the first couple of times I listened to it, some points were slow to me, but I eventually learned to love it. This album only has five songs on it, but quite a few of them are long, starting with the opening song, Telegraph Road, a near-fifteen minute ballad. It's one of my favorite songs on the album, and Mark Knopfler really show his mastery of heart-touching, melodic solos. Despite it's length, it's a song that keeps me hooked from beginning to end. The next song is Private Investigations, a slow, bluesy tune. Mark Knopfler's guitar is near ephemeral in this song, only breaking in with brief, sharp riffs. For a non-fan, it might be a hard song to get through, I didn't like it at first. After that is Industrial Disease, which for me is probably the high point of the album. This poppy tune is in many ways the predessesor of "Walk Of Life", opening with a high, up-tempo keyboard lick. It gets your foot a-tappin'. The next song is the title track Love Over Gold, another slower tune. Honestly, not one of my favorite of their songs, but good all the same. In some ways it's kinda reminiscent of "Romeo and Juliet" to me. The last song, is probably one of my favorite songs they ever wrote. "It Never Rains" is slower, and almost said, but somehow still heart-lightening. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, I think this album is one of my favorites. Telegraph Road tells a long winding story of a town's growth into a big city, and the message it sends it rather creepy, really. "Well I run every red light, on memory lane" is the line that really sticks in my head for this one. Private Investigation chronicles the life of a, you guessed it, Private Investigator. The line form this song that always sticks with me is "treachery and treason, there's always an excuse for it, but when I find a reason, I still can't get used to it". Industrial Disease, let's just say it's a very interesting song about a cabin-fever like affliction called "Industrial Disease", which makes people go mad. The line that always stuck with me was "Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong, there's a protest singer, he's singin' a protest song". Also a good song if you want to hear Knopfler talk like a british doctor. Love Over Gold, as I said, is not one of my favorites, and there are no lines in it that really stick out to me, but overall, it's very touching. Now It Never Rains, however, is just, how do I say it, wonderful. My favorite line is in the chorus, "and it never rains, around here, it just comes pouring down". Overall, Knopfler's voice suits his style very well, and has a very mellow, kinda saddening tone to it. But on songs like Industrial Disease, he pulls off upbeat amazingly well with a voice like his, and you can really tell he is enjoying it. // 10

Overall Impression: This one is definitaly one of my favorite albums of all time. It tickles me in all the right plaes one could say. The only reason I'm taking away a point is because to someone who doesn't really like the Dire Straits, it might be just tolerable, so if you're not a big fan of them, don't bother, or just buy it used. It's pretty cheap that way. The best songs (for me) are Telegraph Road, Industrial Disease, and It Never Rains, but I know people who absolutly love Private Investigations. If this album were stolen, well, hell hath no fury like a Dire Straits fan scorned. // 9

More Dire Straits reviews rating latest review