Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits Review

dire straits: Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits
Release Date: Nov 10, 1998
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Album Rock, Pop/Rock, Rock & Roll
This compilation repeats seven tracks from 1988's Money For Nothing anthology.
 9.6
 9.9
 9.3
Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits Reviewed by: belavista man, on april 25, 2006

Sound: Fantastic. Every aspect of this album has been arranged and performed in such a way that allows you to relax, sit back and just let that gentle sounds of Dire Straits run through you. All the tracks that appear on here are (or seem to be) perfect. The track, Money For Nothing, holds an unrepeatable performance with Sting. The track, Local Hero/Wild Theme, holds an also unrepeatable live performance. Mr Knopfler is a living legend of the music world. // 10

Lyrics: Mark Knopfler is a master at writing lyrics. He may not be the best singer in the world but he sure as hell knows how to put words to music. All the lyrics in all his songs have some meaning whether they are in a simple but extremely effective balled (Romeo And Juliet) or if they are in a song about a band trying to make a living by playing short gigs in pubs and clubs (Sultans Of Swing), everything he says in his songs have meaning and effect you in some sort of way. There isn't another person in the music industry, man or woman, that could pull off the lyrical (and musical) masterpeices that Knopfler has created. If I could salute anyone as a musical gods, it would be Dire Straits. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want to go out and buy an '80s/early '90s album then this is the one you need to buy. Dire Straits are everything from rock to blues to pop, no-one else that I can or could ever think of come(s) close to what they have acheived. This CD is a must-have! // 10

Sultans Of Swing: The Very Best Of Dire Straits Reviewed by: aenimafist, on november 11, 2008

Sound: As one of the most underrated bands in the history of music, Dire Straits created a very unique sound early in their careers and kept it throughout all of their releases. This collection of Dire Straits' best tunes encompasses their career in the fullest bringing back old classics like Romeo and Juliet, Money For Nothing, and, of course, Sultans of Swing. Mark Knopfler has one of the most unique sounds of any guitarist in the history of music and has a vocal style that is immediately recognizable by anyone who hears it. Mark's songwriting deals a lot with going in and out of keys as well as experimenting with blues licks and rhythms while incorporating the tradtitional rock styles at the time. One of the best things on most of these songs though is the drum sound and the high-mixed bass guitar. One of my main complaints about greatest hits albums is that they have a tendancy to put the most popular song first (the best exception to that being Rush: Gold) and this is certainly the case here with Sultans of Swing nabbing the first track spot on this compilation. The sad thing about putting the greatest hit first is that some people will have an impulse to listen to only that song and nothing else. When it is put later on the CD then more of the band's material can be heard that wasn't necessarily known to people before. So now when I listen to this CD I put it on shuffle so I can hear every song whenever. This is how I discovered the amazing Money For Nothing, and Tunnel of Love. Money For Nothing has a riff that comes off as somewhat odd but it really holds a very steady groove througout the whole song. The extra overdrive also adds to the excitement of the track. Tunnel of Love has now got to be my favorite song by this band. The strange carnival fanfare at the beginning made me go "Huh? What the hell is this going to be?" and in the end, the build up into the chorus and the guitar licks contributed to this song and made it my favorite by this band. // 10

Lyrics: Mark Knopfler's singing style, as stated earlier, is certainly a recognizable one. When I hear his voice, I can't help but picturing him in the studio recording these vocal tracks while pretending to be stoned. But that is what makes the vocals so great; they are very laid back and it sounds like Knopfler is just talking to the audience and telling a story like Grandpa. Money For Nothing has to be one of the most obscure songs lyrically I have evr heard from a serious band. Selling microwave ovens, making kitchen deliveries, and having shicks for free are definatley not the most common lyrical concepts in music today. Mark's voice has held up very well over time... partially because he doesn't have to work very hard to sound good. Stellar performance by this fellow and an imagination of many different faces. // 10

Overall Impression: I guarantee that Dire Straits will go into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame someday. They are just too unique and technical not to be admitted. While Dire Straits' style isn't my favorite type of music, (Opeth being my favorite band) they will always be something new for people to try out. If you want to get some Dire Straits material but don't feel like dishing out a hundred dollars for their whole reportoire, this recording is the place to start. Best songs: Tunnel of Love, Lady Writer, Romeo and Juliet, Money For Nothing, So Far Away, and, of course, Sultans of Swing. // 9

More Dire Straits reviews rating latest review