Waterloo To Anywhere Review

dirty pretty things: Waterloo To Anywhere
Release Date: May 8, 2006
Label: Mercury
Genres: Indie Rock, Garage Rock Revival
It is a very well produced short but sweet blast of the sound you have come to expect from Barat and Hammond.
 8.6
 8.5
 8.7
Waterloo To Anywhere Reviewed by: Stevie B, on april 27, 2006

Sound: This album is from a few members of The Libertines, not sure who exactly, but not Pete Doherty. This album has a very old school punky feel to it as well as having rock and indie influences. I had'nt really heard of this band before but a mate told me they were gonna be good because the Libertines were so good. So I got the album and was quite impressed. // 8

Lyrics: Not much to say on the lyrics. They were reasonable and managed to fit nicely with the music. I like the singers voice and that also fits the music very well rather than some bands like the Arctic Monkeys where the accent doesn't seem right. // 8

Overall Impression: There have been a lot of overhyped indie bands and I'm sure some people will say this is but I quite enjoyed this band. Better than a lot of other indie bands around and the punky feel they have to them is what does it, moving them away from the crowded scene. The most impressive songs are Bang Bang You're Dead and Deadwood. There is also a song called You F--king Love It which I enjoyed. If stolen I would probably get it again as it was quite enjoyable. // 9

Waterloo To Anywhere Reviewed by: omgelliot, on may 04, 2006

Sound: Since the Libertines last show in december 2004 the 4 members have gone their seperate ways. The acclaimed pete doherty has ditched the guitar and formed Babyshambles, John Hassel with Yeti. Gary Powel and Carl Barat however have recently been busy on polishing thier new band 'Dirty Pretty Things'. Carl's cliche sound is very much imprinted into this band. For me, it sounds like libertines songs such as tomblands and campaign of hate. Dirty Pretty Things have a more meaty sound than Libertines without the more delicate riffs and lyrics put forward my his co-frontman Pete. Enough about the Libertines then. The guitar work is creative and has an original sound to it, Anthony, a truelly unique guitarist with a matching personality and personna brings an edge to the songs. // 9

Lyrics: Carl has proved to everyone that Pete was the only member of the Libertines with the ability to write a meaningful song. Aldoubt the lyrics are simple in parts. Such as 'You F--king Love It' these are made up for by the energetic guitaring that accompanies them. Simple lyrics such as "I really like you, but I'm nothing like you" echo sincerity and are easily related to for the listener. The only criticism I have of the lyrics as they dont touch me the way that others do, however they fit the sound very neatly and carl, although not a musically great singer, sings with real intent and is perfect for the style he portrays. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall impression was very good, it could of been improved in some senses but it's not all about perfection in music, its about creativity, and this album oozes it. My personnel favourite songs are the two I've tabbed out on this website, Deadwood and Gin & Milk, however after listening to them on repeat whilst putting music to paper this favouritism wore off. Unlike most albums I enjoy listening to every song on it and each has a varied sound which shows versatility and is a good trate to have. I really rate this album, and although I have the promo version I will be buying the real one on release. Only one or two albums spring to mind which I would rather listen to, one being either Cribs album and the others being either Libertines. // 9

More Dirty Pretty Things reviews rating latest review