Coral Fang Review

9.4
 9.2
 9.5
Coral Fang Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: Well incase you haven't read any of the other reveiws for this album it's The Distillers 3rd. I was drawn to the Distillers in about 2001 when I heard a sample of their first self-titled album. That album amazed me and they didn't let me down with their second album "Sing Sing Death House". And now "Coral Fang" has arrived, dont get me wrong it's an amazing album, but the thing is brody dalle isnt really meant to be so soft, its not as hard and fast punk/rock as the other two so I would have to say I was the slightest bit dissapointed. The sound is different, I'm just not used to it. // 6

Lyrics: Sighs remember lyrics like this? "We are the revenants and we will rise up from the dead we become the living we come back to reclaim our stolen breath" absolute masterpeice? Well in Coral Fang I can't find any lyrics like that, I find the lyrics some-what pointless and meaningless, sure "The Hunger" does have some meaning to it, but I find the lyrics not making sense. Of course I do like the lyrics but I made the mistake of setting my expectations too high as did the distillers for setting their standards and I mean come on compare "The Young Crazed Peeling" lyrics to "Love Is Paranoid." // 8

Overall Impression: I remember thinking it was impossible to bag out a Distillers album and here I am doing it, wait no I am not bagging it just recommending it for those who like pop/rock not punk/rock and I'm a punk/rock fan I'm afraid. Of course some of these songs do go quite hard like "Coral Fang" and even "Die On A Rope" but for me the distillers are not a band to sit, listen and to cry to but more to jump around, have a scream and punch a wall while listening to the wonderful guitar playing and hot vocals by brody. And yes if this album was stolen I would definetly buy it again, I was not totally bagging this album, just warning those distillers fans who haven't heard it yet. // 8

Coral Fang Reviewed by: 【♠Jøsh♠】, on october 06, 2008

Sound: I have always been a fan of such punk bands such as the clash and the sex pistols, but I think the distillers take punk to a new level and show us that it isn't just about the quick chords and the droning vocals. There are no real amazing guitar or drums solos but this simplicity gives the album a great sound and it allows you to truely appreciate the vocals which I think dominate this band. The altogether style of the album is generally punk with such songs as 'drain the blood' and 'beat your heart out' however the last track called 'death sex' is a noise track and last 12 minutes and 17 seconds. The album reached only #46 in the UK album charts, however I think it could have reached the top 10, but this is because it is an acquired taste and does not fit in very well with this modern day indie scene, but that's what punk is about. The artwork on the cover of the album appears very crude, but it siuts the image of the album which I think is "F@ck the world" however they did make a censored cover but this is quite rare to come across. If you have ever heard this band it is likely you heard them on tony hawks undergroud 2 where they contributed 'beat your heart out' to the soundtrack. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals I think are what makes this album stand out from all the other albums, not only is brody dalle a beauty herself, but her vocals are beautiful too. not because she can hit high notes or have a strong feminine voice, it's because she has a ballsy voice which suits the strong, fast sound of the band and it is quite masculine for a female's voice. she has a gritty voice that is a rariety to come across nowadays. she also shows that she can sing slowly and softly at the start of the song 'the hunger'. the lyrics themseleves are also brilliant and give you an insight into the album, especially the song 'the hinger' it has such a slow melancholy feel to it accompaning lyrics such as "holy eyes I never knew I'd beg down at your feet" you can understand this in many different ways but it gives me the idea of a lonely life. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to other artists because it is completely on it's own, there are no other vocalists like brody dalle because she has her own sound which cannot be categorized, but for the sake of making life easy it can only be categorized as punk. the real songs that stand out on this album are 'drain the blood' and 'the hunger' because of the energy shown in the former and the power and emotion in the latter. What I love about this band as you may have guessed is the vocalist brody dalle, however I also love the way the music compliments her voice and altogether it sounds amazing. Although I will say I am not a fan of the last song 'death sex' because I am not much of a an of noise rock, however it makes me feel so laid back and lazy which is good in itself. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy a new one because my album is my own instead I would track down the thief and beat the crap out of him until it is given back. I would not even think about losing this album. // 10

Coral Fang Reviewed by: FJM2C, on march 11, 2004

Sound: Coral Fang is the third album from the Distillers and their first on a major label. The band is lead by Australian-transplant Brody Dalle (Armstrong, now Dalle due to her divorce from Rancid frontman Tim Armstrong) and includes Bassist Ryan Sinn, drummer Andy Granelli and recently added second guitarist Tony Bradley. Coral Fang is a departure from their previous efforts- it features a pronounced influence of early 90s "grunge" in addition to their street punk sound. Sure songs like Dismantle Me, Die on a Rope, Coral Fang, and Hall of Mirrors are typical fare for the Distillers, but there is also a lot of evolution to be noted. Example one; the Hunger - a light acoustic opening leads into a screaming Nirvana-style chorus. Example two; Gallows is God - a slower lurching In Utero-esque song. Example three: For Tonight You're Only Here to Know - a softer (but still hard) song that has a unigue sound. The single, Drain the Blood is an exellent combination of all of these styles. // 10

Lyrics: Brody really seems to have evolved as a singer and songwriter. Whereas the previous record dealt with hardships and showed that there was hope, this album's lyrics delve into suicide, death, blood & gore. The first seven songs seem to be break-up songs; not sappy, but angry and almost vengeful (especially Hall of Mirrors.) The second half of the album seems to deal more with love. Overall, the best song lyrically would have to be the Hunger. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I would go as far to say that Coral Fang is the best album by the Distillers so far. I love the fact that it has musical diversity and seems to stand out in a crowd of homogenus punk bands. The most impressive songs are definitely the Hunger, Gallows is God, Drain the Blood, and For Tonight You're Only Here To Know. The song Beat Your Heart Out is a little poppy, Deathsex (an twelve minute feedback session) is kinda out of place, but neither is enough to detract from the overall quality. If I lost this album I would definitely buy it again. It is one of my favorite cd's and it hardly ever leaves my cd player. I recommend it to fans of the Distillers and anyone looking for a good punk record. // 10

Coral Fang Reviewed by: bolton69, on june 16, 2004

Sound: The sound varies on this album it is quite heavy through out but there is a fair share of melow 'sit Wit A Beer' songs. If you're into ure fair share power chords thrown in wit sum load drums with rippin bass lines this is the sound you want. // 10

Lyrics: This is a tricky one see coz some of you ppl out there don't like screamo but either way its screamin no 2 ways about it and if you don't like it you won't like the album fair as. It goes well wit the power chords and the slow picking aswell. Overall all i can say about the lyrics is. This shit is wack. // 10

Overall Impression: Yo this album is the album to buy ppl if u like screamo punk (which most of us do) you will love this it has its fair share of melow songs aswell if you want a bit of both. // 6

Coral Fang Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2007

Sound: Coral Fang is not only The Distillers' third album, but but a big jump from thier previous hardcore effort, Sing Sing Death House. The hard and raw aspects of SSDH are still very present on this album, it's just a slower, grungier version of it. Frontwoman Brody Dalle also sings more than she screams on this album, which was the other way around on the bands last two albums. And despite Dalle's raspy and at times, masculine vocals, and the band's, I'll put it this way,"raw as an uncooked steak" music, the singles "Drain the Blood" and "Beat Your Heart Out" wouldn't sound far out of place on modern rock radio behind a Nirvana or Hole song. // 9

Lyrics: Brody Dalle was not only singer and lead guitarist for The Distillers, but she also wrote every word on Coral Fang. Some say the lyrics on Coral Fang aren't near as good as the lyrics on SSDH. SSDH had the "Sick of It All" vibe going on and nearly every song is an anthem for teens across America who are, well, sick of it all. Whereas Coral Fang focuses on issues like breaking up and finding new love. The obvious reason for this is the band were in thier early 20's when SSDH was released, meaning they had some teen angst leftover. When Coral Fang was released, Dalle was divorcing Rancid's Tim Armstrong while getting busy with QOTSA's Josh Homme.The first 7 songs on Coral Fang deal with the ugly part of breaking up,; blood, gore, etc(she was clearly fantasizing). Just when you think you're going to kill your bf/gf, a refreshing batch of songs like "Deathsex" and "Love Is Paranoid" speak of love and rough sex, lightening the mood. Throughout the CD most of the lyrics are quite abstract, tough to understand and at times, gross. Overall they're fun and interesting to read and to try to decifer while listening to the CD. // 10

Overall Impression: I would compare the vocals and music to a mixture of Joan Jett, Hole, Rancid, Nirvana, and Rise Against. I can't pick a favorite song, but if I were the record company picking singles they would be "Drain the Blood", "The Gallow Is God", "The Hunger", and "Love Is Paranoid". I love Coral Fang for it's rawness, Dalle's raspy vocals and strange lyrics, and the obvious work and time put into it. There's not much I hate about it, but if I had to criticize it I would say that with a couple of the songs the music is sorta out of place compared to the others. And the last 4 songs are very repetitive in regards to the lyrics.But overall I highly recommend this album and if I lost it I would definitley buy another copy. // 10

Coral Fang Reviewed by: Violet Addler, on march 21, 2008

Sound: Coral Fang is a change from the Distillers other work, in that it's not as abrasive. Don't get me wrong, it's abrasive, with both subject matter and sound, it's just not AS abrasive as Sing Sing Death House was. This album deals with the pain of breaking up, and shows several different emotions on the matter, including sadness, anger, bitterness, and the feeling of waste and sacrifice, not to mention desperation. Lyrically it is somewhat violent, comparing feelings to bloody knives and exposed hearts, and just blood in general. Brody's vocals are incredibly raw, with a lot of singing and vocalizing, and not as much screaming as Sing Sing Death House. The vocals are very good though, with different elements throughout the album. If you think about the subject matter though, this is the most fitting way to do it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are somewhat cryptic, but if you look into Brody's personal life, they start to make sense. At the time of the albums creation, she was just getting out of a relationship with Rancid's Tim Armstrong, and jumping into a new one with Queens of the Stoneage's Josh Homme. Full of sometimes violent feelings and sometimes loving ones, Brody delivers lyrics that are nothing short of raw and real. // 9

Overall Impression: While I do enjoy Sing Sing Death house, I'd say Coral Fang is my favorite album of the Distillers. I find myself comparing this album to a mix of Nirvana's In Utero and Hole's Live Through This. The most impressive songs from the album in my opinion, would probably be Drain The Blood, Dismantle Me, Die On A Rope, and The Gallow is God. But in all honesty, I like them all so much. I love the abrasive quality it has, even when it's not constant screaming. I would definetly buy this album if I lost it or something, because it's a very enjoyable listen. // 10

More Distillers reviews rating latest review
+ Sing Sing Death House 9.6 11/19/2005