The Distillers Review

distillers: The Distillers
Released: April 25, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk Revival
Not perfect but certainly respectable, The Distillers reminds everyone that punk has yet to outlive its usefulness.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.2
 9.6
 8.7
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
The Distillers Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Sound: This is the Distillers debut album and it has a very raw edgy sound! Much more aggressive than sing sing death house and coral fang. It is not all powerful rockin songs there are a few such as Gypsy Rose Lee and Ask The Angels that are a bit more mellow! Overall this album has a very punky sound! // 8

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are brill! Brody screams rather than sings on many tracks which makes it very aggressive! Some of the lyrics are very heartfelt such as Gypsy Rose Lee which I like! // 8

Overall Impression: This album is way better than other so called 'punk' bamds! The most impressive songs are L. A. Girl, Ask The Angels and Gypsy Rose Lee. I love the raw sound of it and I would definitely buy it again if someone stole it! // 10

The Distillers Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Raw. Only that word can describe this album. This is where brody lets her emotions entangle with her guitar rifts and the edgy sound on songs such as 'Open Sky' and 'Red Carpet And Rebellion'. This is where we hear a straight 4 chord guitar riff made into a beautiful melody of Brody Dalles troubled past and raw emotion from the genuienley troubled life experience Dalle has within her. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some what different to those on sing sing death house and coral fang. These lyrics reach into brodys past, relating to us, but written about brodys past life. Here we feel a certain connection with brody because of this. Ofcourse, Dalle, is 'the new Courtney Love', as so many reveiwers have put it. Brody, how ever, should not be compared to Courtney in anyway. They posses similarities yes, such as a deep husky voice and a deep throatle scream, but Brody's voice has so much more raw emotion and anger then courtneys. // 10

Overall Impression: Life dalles ex-husbands band rancid, the distillers songs (especially on this album) are not all the same. This, therefore, appeals to people who like bands such as Rancid, The Devotchkas, Anti-Flag, Bad Religion and Nofx. Women need a princess of punk to look up to, one whom they can idolise with out her being drug addicted like Courtney, or old like blondie (god love her), brody is the girl, she is the distillers. This album is a lyricall and musical masterpeice. However, I do not reccomend this as introduction to the distillers, try sing sing death house, which has a sound more in between Coral Fang and The Distillers. If this album was stolen I'd go back and buy 2 more, for there are only things to love about it. // 10

The Distillers Reviewed by: Blackheart14514, on july 08, 2005

Sound: The sound is excellent. You can just feel the heartache and hate being conveyed by the music. Not only the lyrics of the songs are edgy, but the guitar riffs and licks (mostly mad up of power chords) are unlike anything I've ever heard, they match the words perfectly. They drums and bass also sound good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the best I've heard in a while. They came from Brody's heart and her past. Brody is a literary prodigy and uses curses to add rage to the songs. Everyone can relate to at least a few of the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs on the the album lyrically are "Gypsy Rose Lee," "The World Comes Tumblin'," "Ask The Angels," "Idoless" and "Oldscratch." The best songs on the album musically are "Colosuss USA," "Girl-Fix-Er," and "Oh Serena." If it were stolen, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I love everything about this album. It holds a permenant slot in my stereo disc changer. // 10

More Distillers reviews rating latest review
+ Coral Fang 9.4 10/06/2008